• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
  3. What is the best talent tree to invest in?

User Info: Barky91

Barky91
10 years ago#1
Since you only get 34 talent points I'd like to find out what talents are the best to invest in. Now each tree has 15 nodes and each requires 2 to max making it possible to only max but 1 tree so the talents you choose you decide to level is an important decision and one I'd rather not screw up.

So has anyone got any pointers?

User Info: funkyfritter

funkyfritter
10 years ago#2
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/975399-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings/59200121
And with that...pow! I'm gone!

User Info: amioran

amioran
10 years ago#3

Swordmanship first, magic after.

While I like the above suggested build, it is too "limited" for a beginner (meaning you have to follow it closely or you risk of gimping your build irrimediably).

With about 8-9 points in swordmanship (to get +sword dmg, +crit dmg, whirl and group finisher) then go for magic (+signs dmg, +vigor, improved Aard, Improved Quen, Heliotrope and if you have spare points Improved Igni) it is the most balanced build overall and probably the most powerful endgame for a beginner.

User Info: funkyfritter

funkyfritter
10 years ago#4
amioran posted...
Swordmanship first, magic after.While I like the above suggested build, it is too "limited" for a beginner (meaning you have to follow it closely or you risk of gimping your build irrimediably).With about 8-9 points in swordmanship (to get +sword dmg, +crit dmg, whirl and group finisher) then go for magic (+signs dmg, +vigor, improved Aard, Improved Quen, Heliotrope and if you have spare points Improved Igni) it is the most balanced build overall and probably the most powerful endgame for a beginner.

The build in that topic is the optimal build. If you're following a build there's no risk of gimping your character.
And with that...pow! I'm gone!

User Info: Trisagion

Trisagion
10 years ago#5
For Sword, alchemy and Mutagen build, that build is optimal.

But if i want to roll with Sword and Magic, getting Heliotrope and Group Finisher is almost necessary. Just stop at Impregnate 2 in alchemy tree.

User Info: Gamingcucumber

Gamingcucumber
10 years ago#6
I got Sword tree exclusively and I honestly breezed through the game in Normal mode. No matter how tanky and build you have you are going to need to quen up a lot especially if you are going for sword. But other than that it's easy. Quen up, roll in with the 200% roll, get their back and heavy slash. Killed most things in 2-3 hits excluding bosses.

User Info: anime295

anime295
10 years ago#7
Get Quen lvIII, then everything else doesn't really matter, just keep Quen up and click away.

So I'd say Magic tree.

User Info: dykunas

dykunas
10 years ago#8

I'm playing on hard and went for the alchemy, with a few points in swords. I found that the only sign i need is quen and it's enough in its default form to get me through bosses. Now the strong point of alchemy is that you can really juice up your bomb ant trap dmg, actually i finished the second boss with traps only, because it was too hard to go meele on him. With bombs you can dispose of big groups of enemies really, really quickly, the only bad thing about them is that you have to constantly replenish your stock. You can also get an armor that increases the dmg of your bombs even further.

Apart from the mentioned above, you get more effective potions (swallow!), dedicated oils that really help with the sword dmg output and of course better mutagens.

Now i haven't tried to put points in magic, but from what i gathered, mostly all three talent trees are viable options to play the game even if you choose one of them exclusively.

amioran
10 years ago#9

funkyfritter posted...

The build in that topic is the optimal build. If you're following a build there's no risk of gimping your character.

True but it doesn't leave much freedom to the user. Or you follow it closely or you can mistake everything. I prefer builds indications instead of a full pattern, so that reader can decide on their own what to keep and alter.

The problem of that build is that, while very advanced and good, it has little freedom in this sense.

amioran
10 years ago#10

And, btw, speaking frankly, all you need to beat the game very easily also in insane is Quen upgraded to 3 and maybe some point in sword. The rest is auxiliary and to preference or to have a though time/more tactis or similar.

Quen spamming is boring but nothing beats it.

1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
  3. What is the best talent tree to invest in?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A