• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Data East Arcade Classics
  3. Intellectual Property Questions

User Info: SoreThumbs75

SoreThumbs75
9 years ago#1

We've all established that Karnov and Atomic Runner Chelnov were purchased by the Paon Corporation.

Though there are still questions concerning Data East titles which aren't listed as being owned by G-Mode on the Wikipedia Entry or on G-Mode's Data East website.

I took the liberty of emailing G-Mode/Data East and got a few answers.

Hippodrome [1988], Double-Wings [1993], and Night Slashers [1994] are infact owned by G-Mode.

Ring King [1987] remains in IP limbo between Namco and G-mode. G-Mode; "Not confirmed and probably will remain that way."

Upon asking if there is any chance we'll ever see G-Mode compile Data East arcade titles based on licensed properties such as Ghostbusters [1987], Robocop [1988] and Robocop 2 [1991], and Captain America and the Avengers [1991]?
G-Mode responded with; "I think there may be close to 0% chance of that happening. I'm sorry."
You have to appreciate the honesty.

User Info: LordGeo

LordGeo
9 years ago#2
I should really ask G-Mode about Windjammers, as that's a NeoGeo games made by Data East that looks really interesting.
Wii Number: 8510 1479 7115 7909
Double... Double... BOOMERANG!

User Info: 80s_Gamer

80s_Gamer
9 years ago#3

SoreThumbs75 posted...
Upon asking if there is any chance we'll ever see G-Mode compile Data East arcade titles based on licensed properties such as Ghostbusters (1987), Robocop (1988) and Robocop 2 (1991), and Captain America and the Avengers (1991)?
G-Mode responded with; "I think there may be close to 0% chance of that happening. I'm sorry."

I think that's to be expected out of nearly all arcade collections. I know what you mean, though - a Konami collection featuring both TMNT arcade games, The Simpsons, Aliens, X-Men, G.I. Joe, and Wild West Cowboys of Moo Mesa would, as Beetlejuice would say, make my millenium! Unfortunately, they're not willing to shell out the licensing costs a second time, and I can't say that I blame them. Sure, Konami did for the downloadable TMNT arcade games, but that was to promote the (at the time) new TMNT cgi movie. Without a special circumstance, you can't expect a company to always do things like this. Although, I will forever wonder why Konami didn't capitalize on the release of the Simpsons movie and put the arcade Simpsons game up for download. In a lot of ways, I liked that game even more than the TMNT games!

User Info: xenodolf

xenodolf
9 years ago#4
I'd love to play Night-Slashers on a compilation. Wouldn't mind Hippodrome either.
Games I'll play in 2010: AVP, Kane & Lynch 2, Deus Ex 3, Bioshock 2, Metro 2033, Data East Arcade Classics (Wii), Final Fight: Double Impact, Dead Rising 2

LordGeo
9 years ago#5
I sent an e-mail to G-Mode about the status of these tiles, and hopefully I'll get a reply soon:
The Cliffhanger: Edward Randy
Suiko Enbu/Outlaws Of The Lost Dynasty/Dark Legend
Suiko Enbu: Fuunsaiki (the Saturn-only semi-sequel to Suiko Enbu that features two Fighter's History Dynamite characters)
Windjammers
the "Vapor Trail trilogy" (Vapor Trail, Wolf Fang, and Skull Fang Kuuga Gaiden)

And, unfortunately, after sending the e-mail I realized that I forgot to ask about Strahl, which was another animated FMV game Data East made that was also released on the 3DO and Saturn.

SoreThumbs75
9 years ago#6
Somehow I have a feeling that even though not explicitly stated, G-Mode probably owns most all of Data East's former IP's (other than what has already been stated under this thread).

SoreThumbs75
9 years ago#7
xenodolf posted...
I'd love to play Night-Slashers on a compilation. Wouldn't mind Hippodrome either.

For whatever reason I used to enjoy Hippodrome back in the arcade. I don't believe I've ever seen Night Slashers out in the wild back in the day, though I'm always up for a brawler. Even the bad ones are somewhat enjoyable.

SoreThumbs75
9 years ago#8

80s_Gamer posted...

SoreThumbs75 posted...
Upon asking if there is any chance we'll ever see G-Mode compile Data East arcade titles based on licensed properties such as Ghostbusters (1987), Robocop (1988) and Robocop 2 (1991), and Captain America and the Avengers (1991)?

I think that's to be expected out of nearly all arcade collections. Without a special circumstance, you can't expect a company to always do things like this.

Interesting thing about special circumstances is though, in 2012.

LordGeo
9 years ago#9
Somehow I have a feeling that even though not explicitly stated, G-Mode probably owns most all of Data East's former IP's (other than what has already been stated under this thread).

Funny you say that, as I got a reply to my e-mail:
"Hello

Thank you for the inquiry.
G-mode currently obtains all the licenses that you mentioned other than
- Windjammers
- Vapor Trail

Data East does have a fairly large IP Library and we are doing our best
to bring them out."

So we can add The Cliffhanger: Edward Randy, Suiko Enbu/Outlaws Of The Lost Dynasty/Dark Legend, Suiko Enbu: Fuunsaiki, Wolf Fang, and Skull Fang Kuuga Gaiden to the list of Data East titles that G-Mode has but isn't listing on their Data East Games website yet. Yeah, G-Mode probably has most, but it's just nice to know which ones they don't have yet.

Hopefully G-Mode can get Windjammers one day, as that game is a pretty cool NeoGeo game Data East made.

SoreThumbs75
9 years ago#10

LordGeo posted...

Funny you say that, as I got a reply to my e-mail:
"Hello

Thank you for the inquiry.
G-mode currently obtains all the licenses that you mentioned other than
- Windjammers
- Vapor Trail

Data East does have a fairly large IP Library and we are doing our best
to bring them out."

So we can add The Cliffhanger: Edward Randy, Suiko Enbu/Outlaws Of The Lost Dynasty/Dark Legend, Suiko Enbu: Fuunsaiki, Wolf Fang, and Skull Fang Kuuga Gaiden to the list of Data East titles that G-Mode has but isn't listing on their Data East Games website yet. Yeah, G-Mode probably has most, but it's just nice to know which ones they don't have yet.

Hopefully G-Mode can get Windjammers one day, as that game is a pretty cool NeoGeo game Data East made.
---

Well, sounds like it was worth emailing them about specific titles.
I can't understand why they would own the second and third titles in the 'Vapor Trail Trilogy', but not the first, Vapor Trail? That seems really odd, and disappointing. I'd rather have the first in the trilogy made available than the second & third.

I can sort of understand the problem with Windjammer, as it angered the creator of the sport of 10-S, who said; "As the inventor I never gave permission nor signed any agreement to allow Neo Geo or Data East to use 10-S as a model for Windjammers and I have never been compensated for the illegal use of 10-S rules and method of play." So perhaps G-Mode wants to stay clear of hot water, or maybe the Windjammers IP is not openly available without stipulation.

It's too bad they didn't say who currently owns the IP's, if any company does.

1. Boards
  2. Data East Arcade Classics
  3. Intellectual Property Questions
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers

What is the Special Mode? Side Quest1 Answer