everything wrong with sonic rant by nicochi

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I
  3. everything wrong with sonic rant by nicochi

User Info: Dabrikishaw15

Dabrikishaw15
7 years ago#1
http://nicochi.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-in-Lava-Reef-Zone-117341739?offset=130#comments

Speed?

When it comes to the gameplay, I've seen every type of pathetic idea there is:

The series needs to focus on speed!
The legacy stages from BK/the Unleashed day levels are what the whole game should be like!
They should make the levels more like racetracks!!
Rush is just like the Genesis games so why don't you like it!
Put more drifting/ grind/ hold forward etc.

And so on.
Now, I've beaten that horse before, but it's not quite dead yet. Sonic is not about Speed. This, to my great pleasure, is becoming more and more accepted among the community (whether this is due in part to my influence or not at all, I don't know, and it's irrelevant). The series was born and evolved as a platform game with intricate, organic level design, vertical platforming, exploration, and realistic weight and momentum physics.

But, sorry to burst your bubble, it wasn't that fast.

If you felt that it was, it is due to the realistic way in which Sonic accelerates. This is what made Sonic's top speed a lot more satisfying than, for example, Mario's in Super Mario World, despite there being very little difference between the two (and it might be worth mentioning also, that Tails and Knuckles ran exactly as fast as Sonic. Aww, you mean the cartoons got it wrong? That's right. And they can also spin dash, too).

The recent games put the focus on speed, and as a result, are more like an interactive cutscene than a real game. The good games, on the other hand, actively involved you in the gameplay, and this is where the challenge came from. The challenging parts of the good games actually make you play the game, rather than memorize and repeat a button sequence.
There is absolutely no need for the ridiculously absurd speed found in the modern Sonic games. It's not fun. It's not interesting. All it does is create shallow level design, racetrack-type stages (drifting?? oh PLEASE now, really.), and automated "hold a button" gameplay. And so far, in every game that has supposedly "taken a step in the right direction"(Rush, Unleashed, etc), this has been the major problem.
Making Sonic slower is the only way to fix this. It's the only way to be consistent with the original formula. And it will rid Sega of their pathetic excuse: "We can't make the game all about Sonic because it would be over in 30 minutes".
Fact: All fanbases are unpleasable, deal with it.

Dabrikishaw15
7 years ago#2
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]

Dabrikishaw15
7 years ago#3

Dabrikishaw15
7 years ago#4

Dabrikishaw15
7 years ago#5

User Info: edward18

edward18
7 years ago#6
um...TC....please do not make such a useless thread ever again.
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
  1. Boards
  2. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I
  3. everything wrong with sonic rant by nicochi

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived