Sonic Team director puts foot in his mouth regarding physics

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I
  3. Sonic Team director puts foot in his mouth regarding physics

User Info: Solid Link

Solid Link
7 years ago#11
They could just try making Homing Attack, NOT uncurl you. I hate when they make stupid decisions like this in video games (ALL games, not just Sonic). If it makes better sense to do it the way, that doesn't cause the player to have to stop what they're doing... it's probably a good idea to do it THAT way.
http://accentral.net/catalog.php?user=2964 - My Animal Crossing Catalog
*S.A.L. Rank S*

User Info: Haahahaha

Haahahaha
7 years ago#12
but even so what is the point in the homing attack in this game. I prefer to gain momentum and go flying into the air to get to a platform i want, instead of flying up and then Stopping everything to climb some stairs with mindless button tapping.

homing attack was needed in the 3d games to accommodate for the platforming. this is pointless for a 2d game. i like flying through a loop at just he right height and speed to increase my stupid fast velocity already, only to see sonic fly off my screen and have my screen blast process to the right until I hit a wall or something.

instead of speedboosters galore... or stop and jump,stop jump, stop, jump, stop <- homing attack.

id prefer the ring dash than a homing attack. at least with the ring dash it takes you to a different platform, but also gives you more of an option, 'should I go up to the secrets or should i not'. instead of launching you into bubbles...

User Info: MissSusan

MissSusan
7 years ago#13
There's two specific instances in S3&K of ceiling running that I can think of. In truth it probably happens quite a lot without noticing it but these two stand out...

1) Flying Battery. Think it's in act 1. You take the bottom route under the airship and to get on the platform you have to run up a wall, across the ceiling and onto a small platform. At least I think this was across the ceiling. Not entirely sure now...

2) Lava Reef 2. Right at the end there's a section where you have to run across the ceiling and jump off it onto a moving platform. Apart from being super sonic/bugs this was unskippable.

Actually come to think about it there's quite a few sections in Lava Reef where springs send you running across the ceiling. To suggest this wasn't possible in the classic games is ridiculous.

User Info: Solid Link

Solid Link
7 years ago#14
Actually come to think about it there's quite a few sections in Lava Reef where springs send you running across the ceiling. To suggest this wasn't possible in the classic games is ridiculous.

Nobody was suggesting that. Because, that makes sense (or as much sense as a video game makes). We're talking about Sonic being able to run up a flat wall, from a DEAD stop, without gaining speed before hitting the ramp. He could never do that in the Genesis games, but he can in Sonic 4.
http://accentral.net/catalog.php?user=2964 - My Animal Crossing Catalog
*S.A.L. Rank S*

User Info: MissSusan

MissSusan
7 years ago#15
I was responding to the quote given in the OP.

"In this title, we have not done a straight port of the gameplay [from the Genesis games], but rather updated it with actions which could not be done in the previous titles, like ceiling-running. "

Followed by someone replying:

"When was there ceiling running in the classic games that wasn't part of an elaborate loop-de-loop sequence, or reverse gravity gimmick?"

User Info: 360pages

360pages
7 years ago#16
This game has ceiling standing the Genesis games did not have that
HG Friend code 3309 6971 1395
Brawl friend code 1205-6397-3466
  1. Boards
  2. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I
  3. Sonic Team director puts foot in his mouth regarding physics

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived