• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fantasy Life
  3. Fantasy Life Basic FAQ v1.0

User Info: CuriCurry

CuriCurry
4 years ago#1
Fantasy Life Basic FAQ v1.0

This FAQ will cover the basics of Fantasy Life and provide information for those interested in the game and will address the basic and common questions and concerns. This FAQ is subject to (and may) change and be adjusted accordingly as more information is provided from other regions.

I. Introduction
II. Choosing a Job+Stats (Refer to sting_art’s sticky guide for more detailed information)
III. Advancing the Story
IV. Multiplayer/Online
V. Pets and NPCs
VI. Houses
VII. DLC
VIII. Common Questions and Concerns
IX. Helpful Links/Reviews
X. Credits

I. INTRODUCTION

ii. WHAT IS FANTASY LIFE?
Well I’m so glad you asked! You’ve come to the right place! Fantasy Life is an RPG. The end.
I kid, I kid. While Fantasy Life is an RPG, it has so much more to offer than your standard run of the mill Final Fantasy, or Dragon Quest. Fantasy Life is YOUR life. Meaning at the very beginning of the game you will be asked to make a character. You have tons of options for face, hair, eyes, color, weight, height, etc. (And yes, there are options for beards. Beards, people! BEARDS). After you’ve created your character you will then be asked which “Life” you’d like to start out with. You’ve just been born into this brand new world. You have to make a living somehow, right? There are 12 different “Lives” or “Classes” or “Jobs you can choose from.

II. CHOOSING A JOB AND STATS
12 different Lives to choose from? You don’t say? What are they?
Yes! Actually I do, indeed, say. And here’s a list of Lives you can choose from:
Paladin (Combat)
Mercenary (Combat)
Hunter (Combat)
Wizard (Combat)
Blacksmith (Craft)
Carpenter (Craft)
Tailor (Craft)
Alchemist (Craft)
Cook (Craft)
Angler (Gather)
Woodcutter (Gather)
Miner (Gather)
The Lives are broken up into battling classes, foraging classes, and crafting classes.

EXTRA INFORMATION:

~For your first job, you have to do the tutorial but only once. After that you are free to switch jobs during free time.
~Three save slots available
~You can carry up to 3 bounty boxes total and only 3 bounty boxes can exist in the world. If you destroy another big monster, one of the boxes will disappear.
~Bounty clerks are located in the Guild Office in any town otherwise while in the field, they are scattered but still in a spot where the player would not have to travel far. *WARNING: Bounties can be destroyed by you, an outside team mate and the enemies. Be careful and defend your box, run away from enemies and put away your weapon before taking the bounty box!
~Exploration is key in this game. You will find areas that you never expected so search extensively in every town.

For more detailed information for jobs, please refer to sting_art’s beginner job FAQ: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/971712-fantasy-life/70166799

PLEASE DO NOT POST YET
NA 3DS FC: 0361-6567-5010 PSN: Curiousiko
http://curiousiko.tumblr.com/
(message deleted)

CuriCurry
4 years ago#3
V. PETS AND NPCS
~There are a total of 4 different types of pets you can buy: Dog, cat, bird and dragon**. There are three main towns where you can adopt different pets with different color schemes. In other words, the appearance of the pet depends on where you adopt him from.

~You can have a total of 3 pets living with you but only two can travel with you. You can have different combination of pets such as three cats, two bird and one dog, three dragons, whatever you want.

~Your pet fights alongside you and can heal itself so don’t worry about losing your pet. When your pet faints, simply wander over to it and press A.

~If you already have three pets but want to try using another pet, you must trade in one of the pets you already own. That means you lose the friendship level with that current pet.

~The more you fight alongside your pet, the higher friendship level goes and the stronger it becomes. Unfortunately, certain NPCs will outclass the pets further into the story.

ii. NPCS
~You can recruit various NPCs to help you in your adventures though not right away. You have to rank up in your life to be able to ask them to come adventure with you.

~There are certain NPCs that will travel with you regardless of what profession you are but for the most part, a Hunter cannot recruit the master of the Paladin class unless you are currently in that class and have reached a high rank.

VI. HOUSES
~There are a total of 6 houses that you can buy and live in/own. Besides the attic in your main town, there are three other houses you can buy and move into. This is what you sink your money into. You also have the option of never moving out of the attic.

~Houses vary in size and can be customized however you want. Think of this part as a downsized Animal Crossing. You have a limited amount of space to customize and the furniture sets cannot be customized any further. The furniture sets are also based on the world and its main cities.

**I only moved houses once but it was just a matter of storing everything inside my storage, going to the other house and unpacking everything in a single button. THOSE WITH THE CURRENT GAME, FEEL FREE TO ENLIGHTEN EVERYONE ON THIS FEATURE.

PLEASE DO NOT POST YET

CuriCurry
4 years ago#4
VII. DLC
~Here is a website detailing what is entailed in the DLC according to the Fanatsy Life UK Website: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS/Fantasy-Life-899654.html For NA players, it will most likely be $9.99

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ONLINE PLAY AND DLC ACCORDING TO UK WEBSITE:
~Simply select ‘Payable Content’ from the Fantasy Life main menu and follow the instructions to go to the purchase page in Nintendo eShop.
Please note:
Players who have purchased the Origin Island Expansion Pack cannot connect in multiplayer with players who have not purchased it. Multiplayer connection will only be possible with other owners of the Expansion Pack.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE ACCORDING TO HOURS_LEFT:
So, after speaking with players that have purchased the DLC in the English version at the start of the game, it is as some people such as myself have suspected, not all the DLC is locked away until after you beat the main story.

Aspects such as the extra character creation parts and the pet birds (which normally should start to be available in the first town once you reach the correct Bliss level) are available at the same time as they were in the Japanese version. This seems to be more inline with how the game was released in Japan. Certain aspects such as the presence of the Friendship System, and all the new items and ranks still need to be confirmed, but this is a good sign, as arbitrarily locking away early game DLC content until after the main story would of made no sense.

Of course, Origin Island itself, the quests associated with it, and the pet dragons available there are still exclusive to after you beat the main story, as they were in the Japanese verion.

TLDR version: Don't wait until after you've beaten the game to get the DLC if you were planning to get it anyway, as you'll miss out on content that is present during the main quest.

~Nuderval’s contribution: I'll try to compare what LINK added to the Japanese game with what we'll get with and without the DLC on the western version:
1. What LINK added and we will get without DLC:
o 2 extra character slots (for a total of 3);
o online co-op.

2. What LINK added and we will only get with DLC:
o A new area (Origin Island);
o Extra character features (for customization);
o New materials, equipment and recipes;
o God rank;
o Birds and Dragons (as pets);
o New home and furniture;
o Friendship system (allows NPCs to become friends with you and fighting better);
o Lunares coins and the items you get from them.

3. What LINK added and we still don't know if we will get without the DLC or only with it:
o Level cap increased from 99 to 200;
o Level cap for the skills increased from 15 to 20;
o Stats cap increased from 50 to 100.

PLEASE DO NOT POST YET

CuriCurry
4 years ago#5
VIII. COMMON QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS

1.I didn’t like Animal Crossing. I don’t like cutesy games for kids. I’ve heard this game is like Animal Crossing. It’s for kids. I’m an adult. I wear big people panties. I’m not a kid. So this game must not be for me. Right?

WRONG. I honestly have no idea why Treehouse (Nintendo’s development and translation team) keeps comparing Fantasy Life to Animal Crossing, other than the fact that Treehouse worked on both. The ONLY things that are similar (other than the cutesy characters. You don’t like cute? Get out.) between the two are character customization and the ability to decorate your house in game. The character customization in Fantasy Life is so much more in depth than in AC, but the house customization is not as great. That’s it. Oh, and multiplayer. Though in AC you were able to have 4 characters, including yourself in game, while in FL you can only have a total of 3 characters playing at a time, including yourself. Oh! One last thing: You can change your hair style in FL, just like in AC.

2. Is this game like Rune Factory?

THANK YOU!!!!! And yes. Fantasy Life is much better compared to Rune Factory than Animal Crossing. The only things that Fantasy Life doesn’t share with RF are the relationship elements, and farming elements. Fantasy Life does not have any marriage or dating, nor does it have farming. Crafting? Yes. A lot. Item drops to make higher quality things like armor and clothing? Yep. Food? You betcha

3.Oh no! WitchBaby4200 I chose the wrong life! My life is ruined! I hate my virtual not real life! What do I do?! Do I have to start the game over?!

It’s totally cool! No worries! You know how you wake up one day and don’t feel like going to work or school? You just feel like your life is going in the wrong direction? You want to cry? Or run around naked screaming “Bees!”? No? Just me then. Anyway…. Fantasy Life rewards you for changing your life! You can be all of these! You are constantly evolving in real life, why not in your game life, too? (More about your Lives later on in this FAQ) You don’t want to cook today? That’s okay. Go fishing and relax for a bit. You want to let out some frustrations and kill things? Cool. Cool. I understand. Fantasy Life understands too! You can choose one of three fighting lives and go kill some monsters in real time battles. Not turn based. Real time.

4. So can I switch jobs whenever I want?

Only during free time. Not during the main story.

PLEASE DO NOT POST YET

CuriCurry
4 years ago#6
5. Do I constantly have to switch jobs just to do something else? For example, if I want to mine nodes but I’m currently a Paladin, do I have to switch back and forth just to do that job?

No you do not. As long as you get the license, you can mine as a Paldin, fish as a Hunter or cook as a Blacksmith. IF YOU HAVE THE LICENSE, YOU CAN DO JOBS SIMULTANEOUSLY. The only reason to switch jobs is to gain the bonus points and to rank up after you’ve completed the job quests. If you’ve been making clothes as a Paladin life and you’ve gained all the stars for Tailor, fast travel to the Guild Office, change your job to tailor, talk to your master and you will rank up. Simple!

6. Is my appearance permanent?
Not entirely. You can change the color of your clothes, hairstyle and hair color when you unlock the options via bliss points.

7.I’m tired of the standard clothes. Can I wear a dress, tuxedo, shorts or whatever?

Yes you can however certain clothes are only for certain genders and classes. A male can’t wear dresses and vice versa. A Hunter also cannot wield a shield or certain armor. The tailor can make clothes for both men and women regardless of their own gender.

8. Can I complete the game as one life and only in single player?

Yes you can. You can complete the entire game as a Tailor if you wanted. However, there are rare materials that you’ll need further down the line where NPCs or people on your friend list can help you out. The main story is about 10 hours long and requires very little combat to complete. I put in 87 hours alone and spent 2 hours with multiplayer. You can also master every life on one save file character.

IX. LINKS/REVIEWS
Do you like to go to websites? Do you like watching videos? Hey! Me too! Here are a few sites that will help you out in learning more about Fantasy Life!

**Only covers the VANILLA VERSION of Fantasy Life. YouTube is always chock full of video game stuff, but there's a particular vid I would like to bring your attention to. LinandKo are a couple living in Japan who do amazingly fun video game journals. Lin is American, and Kohei is Japanese. They have TONS of Fantasy Life videos all clearly numbered and titled. They give some amazing tips and information in every vid! Here's the first vid, though I encourage you to check out their others, as they have full gameplay tutorials of each Life!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYi6zEPQEqI

NintenDaan Fantasy Life Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeSCtN8fm3c&list=PLmzNOj_HPsNu1G48UQdiGrvLfeEPub0sx

NintenDaan First Look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLONzVmIYP8

Fantasy Life English Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A53Yq3yJMbc

Treehouse (the development and translation team for NoA) has a couple vids out. One is from E3 (for most this being their first look into Fantasy Life) and the other is from their Twitch Live broadcast that aired last week. I don't know about you, but the blonde chick annoys the crap out of me. But if you like her, that's totally fine!
E3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh3CuSGaFRw
Twitch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmovfhSiPg

For those of you who can read Japanese, or would like to learn, or would just like to check out what those crazy characters look like here is the Japanese Fantasy Life website:
http://www.fantasylife.jp/

Japanese Wiki (Use in Google Chrome to Translate. CONTAINS SPOILERS): http://fantasylife.game1wiki.com/index.php?NPC

PLEASE DO NOT POST YET

CuriCurry
4 years ago#7
X. CREDITS
This FAQ took awhile to make and would not have been possible without the help of consistent posters: Nuderval for his stat explanation and additional information, CuriCurry for providing info from the Japanese version, WitchBaby4200 for stepping up and conceiving the idea of this FAQ and creating the Friend Code Thread, Picopicolina who provided many links to reviews and playthroughs, sting_art for the Beginner’s guide to Choosing a Life sticky, Hours_Left for his DLC explanation and Unown_201 for the countdown topic.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, COMMENTS OR CONCERNS, PLEASE POST BELOW AND SOMEONE WILL ANSWER THEM.

ENJOY YOUR LIFE!

User Info: sting__art

sting__art
4 years ago#8
Amazing, this will need a sticky.

User Info: LeBurns63

LeBurns63
4 years ago#9
CuriCurry posted...
SNIP
VI. Houses
~There are a total of 6 houses that you can buy and live in/own. Besides the attic in your main town, there are three other houses you can buy and move into. This is what you sink your money into. You also have the option of never moving out of the attic.

~Houses vary in size and can be customized however you want. Think of this part as a downsized Animal Crossing. You have a limited amount of space to customize and the furniture sets cannot be customized any further. The furniture sets are also based on the world and its main cities.

**I only moved houses once but it was just a matter of storing everything inside my storage, going to the other house and unpacking everything in a single button. THOSE WITH THE CURRENT GAME, FEEL FREE TO ENLIGHTEN EVERYONE ON THIS FEATURE.

So are there six houses or three plus the attic? Also does this include house(s) added by the DLC?
I'm glad your opinion differs from mine. What a boring place this world would be if it didn't.

CuriCurry
4 years ago#10
There is one house in the DLC and 5 other houses in the main game, 6 total.

In the starting town, there are three other houses to choose from if you choose to move out of the attic. Only one of which you can actually live in and own.
  1. Boards
  2. Fantasy Life
  3. Fantasy Life Basic FAQ v1.0
  • Topic Archived