You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
  3. What's you guys favorite ship from this game?
snbnzkra 4 months ago#11
Khalfan posted...
the differences mostly amount to FeMC's version being unironically more romantic from start to finish.

Don't know about start to finish, but yeah, it's the person that makes the difference for me. It's just comical that Mitsuru and MC should "fall in love" over ramen and discussions on marriage, but if it's through FeMC's lens, it starts to make sense. Mitsuru is struggling against the pressures of keeping the Kirijo group alive and possibly her academics and SEES, while having to operate under the constraints of her gender (whether self imposed or not). It would make sense that she admires the FeMC who seems full of life (at least on the surface), seems to have her life together (despite story revelations and childhood tragedy), gets along with everybody, and is both a young woman and SEES' strongest weapon. Then it makes sense why she'd ask these questions of FeMC to begin with; she sees her as an ideal who should have all the answers. I can't see, on the other hand, why she'd ask Makoto about his thoughts on marriage or what she should do with her life after being noodle buddies for a week. I don't know, her whole SL after rank 4 or so just makes more sense with FeMC in this light. She pretty much says it outright in rank 9:

FeMC... You're outwardly adorable. And yet, you have it in you to be stronger, more courageous, and more charismatic than a man...

It just fits better that Mitsuru would find strength and courage from FeMC's presence rather than MC's simply because she's as described above while he's a guy, kind of blunt and introverted, and just sells the message "Yeah, you should be with the cooler guy!"

Also what did you mean when you said you're in rarepair hell? I'm sure there are many other people who'd agree with us, if you looked on Reddit or something.

Khalfan posted...
Mitsuru's ultimate Persona is the patron goddess of rejecting heterosexuality

Artemisia? First I'm hearing of it. She's the navy queen like in the 300 sequel, right?

Khalfan 4 months ago#12
snbnzkra posted...
Don't know about start to finish, but yeah, it's the person that makes the difference for me. It's just comical that Mitsuru and MC should "fall in love" over ramen and discussions on marriage, but if it's through FeMC's lens, it starts to make sense. Mitsuru is struggling against the pressures of keeping the Kirijo group alive and possibly her academics and SEES, while having to operate under the constraints of her gender (whether self imposed or not). It would make sense that she admires the FeMC who seems full of life (at least on the surface), seems to have her life together (despite story revelations and childhood tragedy), gets along with everybody, and is both a young woman and SEES' strongest weapon. Then it makes sense why she'd ask these questions of FeMC to begin with; she sees her as an ideal who should have all the answers. I can't see, on the other hand, why she'd ask Makoto about his thoughts on marriage or what she should do with her life after being noodle buddies for a week. I don't know, her whole SL after rank 4 or so just makes more sense with FeMC in this light. She pretty much says it outright in rank 9:

Not just that, either. There's all kinds of lines that have notes of intimacy to them that aren't there in the male MC route.

"With you, anywhere would be fun."
"When I'm with you, I discover so many new things about myself. Laughter, anxiety... it's quite an education. ...If only it could go on forever."
"...[name]. Would you... ...run away with me?"*
"Her outlook on life has redeemed and comformted me innumerable
times. She is dear to me..."
"Stay by my side. Fight alongside me... Live alongside me."

Etc, etc.

*(Seriously. By some improbable coincidence I've had 3 people ask me to elope in my life, so I'm speaking from experience when I say this: nobody ever suggests that platonically. Nobody!)

snbnzkra posted...
Also what did you mean when you said you're in rarepair hell? I'm sure there are many other people who'd agree with us, if you looked on Reddit or something.

Rarepair meaning it's a ship not that many people are into and there's very little content for it, whether official or fan-made. You know how much fanart there is of these two as a couple, or how much fanfic? Almost none at all. I am starved, I tell you!

Most people who ship Mitsuru with anyone ship her with Yukari, which absolutely makes sense to me, or with the male MC, which is just very confusing to me. Or occasionally Akihiko, which is even more confusing.

snbnzkra posted...
Artemisia? First I'm hearing of it. She's the navy queen like in the 300 sequel, right?

Artemisia = the Greek goddess Artemis. Rather famously swore off men for all of time when she was a child. There are various different versions of all stories, as is usually the way with any religion, but some have her and her nymph companions be lovers. Notably, Zeus seduced her companion Callisto by disguising himself as Artemis, which carries some implications.

Not every story supports the "they're lesbians, Harold" interpretations, of course, but those versions of the stories are out there. And even in other versions, she is still sworn off men forever*

*there are also versions of stories where she is attracted to men, in particular Orion the hunter, but she still never actually gets with them at all even then.
snbnzkra 4 months ago#13
Artemisia = the Greek goddess Artemis

Weird. I was all set to rebut this, since Artemisia clearly seems to be different from Artemis even within the Persona series (Artemis had an appearance in Persona 2 in a very different form), and there is a famous warrior queen named Artemisia like I mentioned before. It would even make sense that her former Persona, Penthesilea (an Amazonian warrior queen) would evolve into another famed battle general in Artemisia, similar to Polydeuces and Caesar. The Megaten wiki agrees that the Persona is based off of Artemisia I of Caria, and there are videos on Youtube that seem to delve into the mythos assuming this is the case. But there's an image on the wiki gallery for concept art for Artemisia annotated in Japanese; the image is too blurry for me to make out some of the more intricate kanji, but it's definitely talking about "a goddess of the moon and hunting, with power over the wild and known for turning sinners into beasts". That has to be Artemis. There's no signature on it, so I can't know for sure that it's Soejima's work, and I don't have 50 dollars to shell out on a copy of his art book just to verify this. But credit where it's due, there is an argument for your case. Even if this is his work though, I still believe she is based on Artemisia herself and not Artemis; Soejima could just have made a mistake, seeing as all the other ultimate Personas (except Caesar) are gods or at least supernatural figures. It just fits better and requires less explanation if Penthesilea => Artemisia and Artemisia =/= Artemis.

You know how much fanart there is of these two as a couple, or how much fanfic? Almost none at all. I am starved, I tell you!

Okay... I.. can't say I understand. You could commission some artwork or maybe learn to paint/draw etc., but I guess there are free to download MMD model packs for most of the Persona main cast. It's a time investment, but, eh, depends on how much you need it I guess.
Khalfan 4 months ago#14
snbnzkra posted...
Weird. I was all set to rebut this, since Artemisia clearly seems to be different from Artemis even within the Persona series (Artemis had an appearance in Persona 2 in a very different form)

Not as relevant as you might imagine. Susanoo also appears in multiple forms throughout the series, Isis as she exists in P5 is quite different from Yukari's ultimate Persona, etc.

I wouldn't trust the Megaten wiki too closely in general, either. The amount of stuff I've seen on there that's just flat wrong is kind of hilarious. It does have its uses for quick references, but if you're looking for anything meaningful you do have to re-check everything it claims elsewhere.

All that aside, I wasn't suggesting it in any seriousness. "Her ultimate Persona is the patron goddess of rejecting heterosexuality" is a vaguely amusing line of thought, but it would frankly be giving Atlus too much credit to say that was deliberate on their part even if they did intend Artemisia to be Artemis, especially given the "you must date ALL the girls!" approach to social links in the male MC's route, and things like Hashino openly stating he doesn't believe men and women are capable of just being friends.

Okay... I.. can't say I understand. You could commission some artwork or maybe learn to paint/draw etc., but I guess there are free to download MMD model packs for most of the Persona main cast. It's a time investment, but, eh, depends on how much you need it I guess.

Explaining why I do not draw or paint would require a personal infodump you never asked for. Commissioning art will hopefully happen one of these days, though. Just a matter of having money to spare and not having higher, more practical priorities for where to put that money.

Don't pay my grumbling too much mind. I am Russian, it's what we do. And me being in this rarepair hell is entirely my own fault anyway.
tommy101 2 months ago#15
I think there's probably fewer art for my ship to be honest, Hamuko x Saori, though I did stumble across someone's art for it, and I could hear the trumpets ;)!

https://twitter.com/nonnecheri/status/1401598608659546114
The Tenth Doctor: It used to be easy ... you could hop between realities, home in time for tea. / Batman Begins: FFXV (www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd8c4uIoU2w)
(edited 2 months ago)
Khalfan 2 months ago#16
As someone who peruses fanart pretty constantly... it's pretty close, lol. There isn't a huge amount of Saori art in general but a disproportionate amount of it is shipping her with FeMC. It's probably about the same amount all told.

Nice ship though. Saori's an underrated character.
tommy101 1 month ago#17
Could be, I don't really hunt down fan art all that often; actually stumbled across this one on an imageboard, but thought best to use the twitter link as thought it might display as an image, plus don't know if we were allowed to have links from the imageboard.

Yeah, could probably count the number of images for Saori on that imageboard on one hand; two of which, this one and one other, were of Saori and Hamuko, though this was the only one that could really be called shipping.

She is, though it was nice to see her (and Rio) in one of the movies.
The Tenth Doctor: It used to be easy ... you could hop between realities, home in time for tea. / Batman Begins: FFXV (www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd8c4uIoU2w)
Kaizoer 3 weeks ago#18
MC x Elizabeth
FC: 2380-8309-9524 | IGN: Kevin
1Tekkaman posted...
MC/Yukari, hands down.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/8/6/9/AAPGw-AACxNt.jpg
PSN: Handsomistic1
Switch FC: SW-7091-6411-8536
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
  3. What's you guys favorite ship from this game?

GameFAQs Q&A