• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
  3. My thoughts on both routes(Obvious spoilers)
PsiOblivion 8 months ago#1
OBVIOUS SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT BEATEN THE GAME!

Anyways. I can finally say I have played through both male and female route of the game, and i would like to share my thoughts.

While playing as the femc was a nice additions, i found it to be much more enjoyable than playing through the males route. And honestly I find that to be the biggest problem in this game, and frankly I think it might just be my standards for the following issues.

Firstly, I felt that most characters treated her much better than they did with the malec. With her, I felt like she was welcomed everywhere no matter where she went or what she did(i mean obviously with the exception of strega).
Even her social links were a lot friendlier to her. Not only did she have social links with EVERY member of her team, but she also even had a social link with Ryoji(someone you would think they would share as a social link). And then there is the fact that she doesn't get into any sort of situational trouble. In the malec route, if you fail the hot springs portion you pay for it. She didn't have to pay for ANYTHING in a sense of comical trouble. Speaking of which, what's with this imbalance of same gender bonding. I actually felt so welcomed when Femc did any bonding event with other female characters. But with the malec i felt like they were always trying to "no homo" their way out of everything, at least story wise. Its pretty sad that male bonding that doesn't involve perving out over women is so rare. Basically, im saying that I fell like Atlus purposely made the femc route better than the males in most if not all aspects, and frankly thats kind of lame. If your going to have two protagonists you should find a way to make them evenly liked in gameplay. Anyways, this is just my thoughts.
Just let people be. If its not hurting you or anyone else, just mind your own business.
snbnzkra 8 months ago#2
The original Persona 3 was released in 2006, and P3P was released in 2009. They didn't want to change the original story and dialogue for the MC between the two games (which I think was a good move; PSP only owners also get a chance to experience the story this way), so they probably made whatever improvements they could think of or had tested with Persona 4 to the FeMC line. Chief among this was remapping the Social Links to the SEES members and Ryoji (even Aigis's Aeon arcana was only introduced with FES in 2007), which fans had wanted even back then. I think it's kind of nice that they listened to the reception and implemented improvements in the rereleases, rather than just porting the game over and slapping a new MC sprite over it. The fact that FeMC's storylines were written later and with hindsight probably explain most of what you're noticing. About not getting into any sort of trouble, eh, she does have Saori's SL where Ekoda is condescending and threatening punishment. And it's not like any of the guys are in serious trouble with the hot springs thing, so I don't see why it's some kind of narrative necessity. If it helps, in world, MC himself is not exactly the most open person innately, so it kinda makes sense that he's not welcomed as much because he isn't very inviting to begin with. It's more of a wonder that any of the girls are interested in him at all, except maybe Chihiro, who apparently hasn't spoken to any guy apart from MC. I have to assume Atlus probably realized this, and that's why they made all future protagonists less... single-mindedly and stereotypically apathetic about everything to the point of parody, I guess.
PsiOblivion 8 months ago#3
snbnzkra posted...
The original Persona 3 was released in 2006, and P3P was released in 2009. They didn't want to change the original story and dialogue for the MC between the two games (which I think was a good move; PSP only owners also get a chance to experience the story this way), so they probably made whatever improvements they could think of or had tested with Persona 4 to the FeMC line. Chief among this was remapping the Social Links to the SEES members and Ryoji (even Aigis's Aeon arcana was only introduced with FES in 2007), which fans had wanted even back then. I think it's kind of nice that they listened to the reception and implemented improvements in the rereleases, rather than just porting the game over and slapping a new MC sprite over it. The fact that FeMC's storylines were written later and with hindsight probably explain most of what you're noticing. About not getting into any sort of trouble, eh, she does have Saori's SL where Ekoda is condescending and threatening punishment. And it's not like any of the guys are in serious trouble with the hot springs thing, so I don't see why it's some kind of narrative necessity. If it helps, in world, MC himself is not exactly the most open person innately, so it kinda makes sense that he's not welcomed as much because he isn't very inviting to begin with. It's more of a wonder that any of the girls are interested in him at all, except maybe Chihiro, who apparently hasn't spoken to any guy apart from MC. I have to assume Atlus probably realized this, and that's why they made all future protagonists less... single-mindedly and stereotypically apathetic about everything to the point of parody, I guess.
My point is, that they didn't change ANYTHING for him, really. It wouldn't have killed them to leave some stuff optional to change up or something. I would have rather them done that, than limiting all the new stuff to the femc. Im not saying her getting into trouble was a "necessity", im saying that it would have been nice to see her getting into some kind of comically intense situation. Like , I dont know, getting caught in a boys locker room, or getting caught spying on someone. Anything of the sorts. That thing with Ekoda was kind of dumb anyway. He's a jerk to everyone, and she didn't have any kind of true consequence. I dont mind malec's personality actually. If anything it made his character development that much better, as opposed to just being a straightforward character. My issue isn't that he isn't like(even though technically many people in game liked him) but treating one protag better than the other just doesn't sit will well with me, unless your going to make the lesser liked one have something to help them stand out as much in a good way, and other than character development(which is something a lot of fans didn't tend to look at) he doesn't have much else for him to be as liked as her.
If they remake this game, I feel they should either make some of his social links optional between teammates or the other ones at LEAST anything to actually make me want to play as him again.
Just let people be. If its not hurting you or anyone else, just mind your own business.
snbnzkra 8 months ago#4
I think we disagree fundamentally on the first point, I feel like they were justified in not changing any story elements for the MC. If anything, I rather enjoy noticing what they changed between the two games. If they make another remake for the PC or something, I'd understand if they changed it quite a bit in the vein of P4G or P5R, incorporating the lessons since learnt from P5 and P5R, but back then I feel like MC was not broke so they didn't fix it.

I can see your point about comic relief and what not. I personally find the hot springs scene (with retrospect after seeing it in every subsequent Persona entry) kind of done to death at this point, so I don't care all that much about it. The other situation you might miss is the cleaning up for the school festival, where both Yuko and Chihiro show up for MC, while FeMC has not made any romantic SLs at this point. The closest equivalent is the dialogue options in Tartarus for the harem route ('the atmosphere feels heavy for some reason' lines). I think this reflects more on the influence of the other protagonists - Junpei gets the MC into wacky situations (Yakushima, hot springs) while the girls are shown as rather straight laced. It would have felt rather ham-fisted to try to force something that didn't feel natural. But again, this is far from a deal breaker in a character for me, and from your choice of words it seems like it isn't for you either.

Like , I dont know, getting caught in a boys locker room, or getting caught spying on someone

I feel like you want something very specific my dude.

she didn't have any kind of true consequence

Yes, but neither did MC for anything, really.

If anything it made his character development that much better

His character doesn't develop appreciably in a traditional sense in the game, and neither does FeMC's for that matter. They get talked at for the entire game, and if anything has changed by the end, it's you. And that's okay, because in this game you are expected to dive into and fill the personality of the MC. The reason they gave him much more of a focus in the movies is precisely because he is such a passive main character in the games --- events happen to him, and he rarely takes the initiative to do anything. Assuming any non-Persona fans happened to watch the movie, it would have fallen really flat to just have been given the game's story with a blank MC. Hence less of a focus on the SLs, and more on his depression and change in outlook. I could give you clear examples of such character development moments in the movies, while you would be hard pressed to give me such a moment in the games.

I agree that I do see myself as being more like FeMC than MC when I'm playing the game, but I'm not sure I agree that I'd never find any reason for replaying MC in a hypothetical remake. I enjoy going through all the SLs, so that necessarily means I will play through both characters. The game is so secondary character driven that the 'MC vessel' is quite unimportant for most of it. But also, Atlus very rarely showcases FeMC in anything, so given that MC gets his own movie series, dancing game and an extra Persona Q appearance, I'd say the balance of popularity overall is actually skewed towards MC.
PsiOblivion 8 months ago#5
snbnzkra posted...
I think we disagree fundamentally on the first point, I feel like they were justified in not changing any story elements for the MC. If anything, I rather enjoy noticing what they changed between the two games. If they make another remake for the PC or something, I'd understand if they changed it quite a bit in the vein of P4G or P5R, incorporating the lessons since learnt from P5 and P5R, but back then I feel like MC was not broke so they didn't fix it.
We do disagree and thats fine, because we're civil about it. I still feel as though they could have done a little better. Im not saying they had to overhaul the entire story, but they could have done something just to give him something fresh too, instead of it being a protag and protag 2.0 sort of feeling. Its better than the people who want to change the ending.

snbnzkra posted...
I feel like you want something very specific my dude.
Dont read into it. I couldn't think of any situations at the time so i just used the same example twice.

snbnzkra posted...
Yes, but neither did MC for anything, really.
Yeah he did. It was implied several times that Mitsuru froze him and the other two.

snbnzkra posted...
His character doesn't develop appreciably in a traditional sense in the game, and neither does FeMC's for that matter. They get talked at for the entire game, and if anything has changed by the end, it's you. And that's okay, because in this game you are expected to dive into and fill the personality of the MC. The reason they gave him much more of a focus in the movies is precisely because he is such a passive main character in the games --- events happen to him, and he rarely takes the initiative to do anything. Assuming any non-Persona fans happened to watch the movie, it would have fallen really flat to just have been given the game's story with a blank MC. Hence less of a focus on the SLs, and more on his depression and change in outlook. I could give you clear examples of such character development moments in the movies, while you would be hard pressed to give me such a moment in the games.
Ok now THAT one i was actually thinking about the movie version of him so yeah I suppose that wasn't really a good example. Either way I still stand by my complaint. I would be impressed if they managed to compensate for his lack of any interesting improvements in comparison to her. Again, im not asking for a million changes, or a whole bunch of nonsense. Just something simple even like more dialogue choices. They even allowed her to be more diverse with what she said as opposed to him. Maybe even a different event with the male instead of this babe hunt crap thats been in literally each of the games. I gotta admit, those events personally never entertained me that much.

snbnzkra posted...
Atlus very rarely showcases FeMC in anything, so given that MC gets his own movie series, dancing game and an extra Persona Q appearance, I'd say the balance of popularity overall is actually skewed towards MC.
Dancing? Wouldn't say thats a great game to have popularity in but hey, if people like it.....but as for the q series, I understood the first one, how she was missing from it and that did kinda sucked. But i mean like 80 percent of the storyline in the second one was pretty much her anyways. In both games they were both in she pretty much stole the show, so her absence in one or two side games that dont get played AS MUCH doesn't really pique my curiosity personally.
And you said it yourself, you even gear towards her more. If you notice basically almost anything in his story is even better in hers, except for the few social links, but even some of those were disliked by fans. So many people hated Kenji, I cant even remember the moon's name, the thing with the teacher was just weird(but i still really liked link strangely) and that sauna portion I really wish was optional. Some of these kinds of things i hate being forced into doing.
snbnzkra 8 months ago#6
Fair enough. I agree that if they did make another P3 remake, they should try to make both characters about equally enjoyable. That's assuming they would even have FeMC in it to begin with. I've never understood why she gets fewer appearances, it feels like she is very popular with the people who have played P3P.

I didn't really feel the impact of Mitsuru's punishment, inasmuch as the player hasn't really changed in any way following the event. But yeah, like I said earlier, it's not really all that important for me that they were created equal in this kind of situation.

I haven't played either Persona Q or Q2, so not much of an idea about that. I feel like again, FeMC is simply the kind of person to say more, which is why she's noticed more than MC. The odds are stacked against him by default simply because he's an introvert. But I wonder if it doesn't seem like that simply because he is a 'silent protagonist' like Joker and Yu again while she is considered a secondary protagonist. And while I'd probably never play the rhythm games, some of them are... unironically fun to watch on Youtube once in a while (plus the music is remixed).

Side note: I did dislike the Moon SL (Nozomi Suemitsu) because it felt like I had to pretend to be nice to this guy who was self destructing and quite likely scamming some teenager. But I certainly liked Kenji, who was the only one to approach MC and invite him to eat, so it felt like the most natural beginning of a friendship. He has some funny dialogue options too. In the other SLs MC is a literal psychopath who says what he knows the other person wants to hear so he can get poonani. I respected the Hermit link for just that reason, thinking this guy just helped someone get back on their feet (kinda) with no ulterior motive, but he later gets to rub it in her face as he is literally dying. It's still hilarious though.
PsiOblivion 8 months ago#7
snbnzkra posted...
Fair enough. I agree that if they did make another P3 remake, they should try to make both characters about equally enjoyable. That's assuming they would even have FeMC in it to begin with. I've never understood why she gets fewer appearances, it feels like she is very popular with the people who have played P3P.

I didn't really feel the impact of Mitsuru's punishment, inasmuch as the player hasn't really changed in any way following the event. But yeah, like I said earlier, it's not really all that important for me that they were created equal in this kind of situation.

I haven't played either Persona Q or Q2, so not much of an idea about that. I feel like again, FeMC is simply the kind of person to say more, which is why she's noticed more than MC. The odds are stacked against him by default simply because he's an introvert. But I wonder if it doesn't seem like that simply because he is a 'silent protagonist' like Joker and Yu again while she is considered a secondary protagonist. And while I'd probably never play the rhythm games, some of them are... unironically fun to watch on Youtube once in a while (plus the music is remixed).

Side note: I did dislike the Moon SL (Nozomi Suemitsu) because it felt like I had to pretend to be nice to this guy who was self destructing and quite likely scamming some teenager. But I certainly liked Kenji, who was the only one to approach MC and invite him to eat, so it felt like the most natural beginning of a friendship. He has some funny dialogue options too. In the other SLs MC is a literal psychopath who says what he knows the other person wants to hear so he can get poonani. I respected the Hermit link for just that reason, thinking this guy just helped someone get back on their feet (kinda) with no ulterior motive, but he later gets to rub it in her face as he is literally dying. It's still hilarious though.
I would actually recommend both pq games. While they play similarly to persona 1 and 2 they are actually quite good.I also have to agree the dance games are fun to watch, but i personally dont see myself picking up one of them. I have good reflexes but I dont see how people play those things without having extra hands.
I think the biggest reason i wanted them to do something new with him is because of his social links. Not only did i feel like it was dumb to not have social links with the male members, but i felt like a man whore because if i wanted to max social link run I pretty much felt like i was with all of the women. Not only that but it was a pian because you had to spend time with them certain ways if you didn't want them to get angry with you. With the femc you at least had an option to just be friends, but with him...i dont know, i just didn't set well with me for that one. I mean luckily they didn't do the same route in 4 and 5.
I personally didn't hate Kenji, but I know a lot of people did. Honestly the only social link on his end i disliked was the moon. But now that i see that Ryouji was a social link with femc i kinda wished they did that instead of keisuke...I guess. I dont know, he was cool but he didn't interest me that much. Also I wonder if they would have considred switching more of his social links to night. Its a lot easier to max the femc's social links because of that. And I really did like the Hermit's. Mainly because of how she talked over the internet. I just always thought the whole "possible" romance suggestion at the end was kinda creepy.
snbnzkra 8 months ago#8
Three unrelated replies here:

Yeah I think PQ looks interesting, but I just don't have a 3DS. I'm not particularly interested in buying one at the moment either. I might some time down the line maybe, I don't play much these days so it would be more or less just for playing these games.

I didn't think there was any actual possibility of a romance with Hermit, Toriumi is too nice a teacher for that. If anything was creepy, it's that she told some internet stranger that she was attracted to a student in her class. She was going through a tough time during her SL, but yeah.

I know people say that FeMC's max SL run is easier than MC's, and I've never tried to test it or anything, but I feel like they're not that different difficulty wise. She gets more night-time SLs, but MC gets more SLs outside of school so they can be done on holidays and during vacations (Hermit, Star, Moon), which is probably enough to offset FeMC's Strength, Justice and Moon.
tommy101 6 months ago#9
There's only one version of Makoto that I accept, and that's the one Segami Daisuki created in the artwork for "She Goes For A Walk", like so:

https://youtu.be/fP2i_yLbapc?t=62

I prefer how Hamuko is much more engaging, so hyping Makoto's anti-socialness to the max is the only way I can accept him, and the homicidal maniac voice helps too; comparing when he says "Persona" in the game (dub) to how he says it in the movie (sub), definitely deranged ;)!

With Persona Q2, Hamuko pretty much turned up around the same time as the Phantom Thieves, and she also had that "cut off from her team" thing going (twice, as when "her" team turn up, you find that she's from an alternate universe so they're not her team, and some of the game is spent with her forging links with her "alt" team), so she does have quite a bit of time to establish herself.

Would have been nice to see Hamuko as DLC for P3D, after all they pinch her songs to use in the game, plus if they do it as DLC, anyone who says that she's "non-canon" doesn't need to buy it... though I can still imagine they'd still complain that a "non-canon" character has been included in the DLC; to balance, so that one game doesn't have more DLC than the other, maybe put Kanami in P5D as DLC, after all, you can see her posters in the train station... along with Rise's, but she's been in enough games, plus you get her poster for your bedroom in P5/R.

Other places where Hamuko feature are; the P3 stageplays, which were developed with male and female versions, and sees Hamuko named Kotone Shiomi (Hamuko being a fan name anyway), and Puzzle and Dragons, which sort of takes her stageplay name as an "official" name, using it for her appearance in that game.

I found playing the two routes interesting, regarding Kenji, as you saw his chasing after Ms Kanou directly in his route (as the male protagonist), and indirectly through Rio, as part of her route (as the female protagonist).
The Tenth Doctor: It used to be easy ... you could hop between realities, home in time for tea. / Batman Begins: FFXV (www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd8c4uIoU2w)
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
  3. My thoughts on both routes(Obvious spoilers)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A