• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: tommy101

tommy101
6 months ago#1
This could be a quite one sided discussion given that I'm posting it on the P3P board, but I've been playing through the Endless Night bundle, and playing through P4D (again) got me to thinking; P3P brings with it a lot of differences from its base game, possibly more so than P4G.

That said, this could be a bit of an unfair statement, after all, if you play through the male route of P3P, it's largely unchanged... and you could say it even takes things out from the base game; I mean whilst there's visible costume changes whilst dungeon crawling, and a cameo from Vincent Brooks (Catherine), the male protagonist can only wield one type of weapon, not many types, like the weapons master he previously was in the base game, and then there's the obvious stuff, space saving stuff such as the "point and click" style navigation, and the removal of the cutscenes.

The real changes only really come in with the female route of P3P, which introduces you to a new protagonist, who has some the original social links swapped for new ones, whilst the remaining social links receive some re-jigging; having a new protagonist means that there are quite a lot of changes from the base game, as it brings new dialogue options, and in some instances inverts situations.

So P4G... whilst I sing P3P's praise, I am quite biased, as I've not actually played P4G... I've played vanilla, but never got round to playing P4G; the changes to the dub cast does put me off for one reason (although the changes do split the community, with people for and against the changes), and another reason why I haven't played it was that, at the time of its release, I did not have a Vita.

Still, despite not playing P4G, I am aware of some things that it brought in, such as a new character and dungeon, two new social links, new locations, new events, special follow up attacks, fallout for a harem scenario, and carries over the visible costume changes whilst dungeon crawling as seen in P3P.

Due to being on the Vita, rather than PSP like P3P, P4G does not suffer the same space limitations as P3P, so the navigation style is the same as the original game, and the cutscenes are retained... or replaced with new ones(?) - as I've said, not played P4G.

With what I know about the two games, to me P4G doesn't seem to differ too much from its base game... that said, could it be that P4 gained more of a following than P3, as P4 received an animated version much quicker than P3... if you do not count -trinity soul-... not that I have anything against the aforementioned series, I actually liked it, and wouldn't mind if it entered back into canon somehow; alternate future of the world Hamuko (FeMC/Minako) exists in perhaps?

If you're wondering, the bit I'm referring to in P4D is when Kanami and Dojima are talking about the Guest Chief thing that Kanami was supposed to do at Inaba Station; it got me thinking, what if P4G had included this storyline, would Kanami end up being another person to rescue from the TV World, would she end up a member of the Investigation Team, would she have a social link, etc.?

The differences between these two remakes also raise the question of; if there's a P5 remake, what route will it take in differences to the base game?

Something that often springs to mind for me, is the lack of an after school club that you're forced to join; could you be forced to join the school newspaper? After all, there's the Newspaper Club Girl that hangs around outside the classrooms.

So what are everyone else's views on this; P3P vs P4G, and a P5 remake?

I nearly made a poll and listed off every remake, and I was going to open the floor up to all ATLUS remakes, including Soul Hackers (3DS), Devil Survivor Overclocked, Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker, Strange Journey Redux and the PSP remakes of the first three games, but my core interest was only as per the thread's title, still if you want to discuss these too, you can.
The Tenth Doctor: It used to be easy ... you could hop between realities, home in time for tea. / Batman Begins: FFXV (www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd8c4uIoU2w)

User Info: JLazarillo

JLazarillo
6 months ago#2
While I prefer P3P in no small part due to preferring the heroine path, it has a couple nice little upgrades in terms of gameplay even for the original hero, like party control, Skill Cards, extra save points, more streamlined menus...I could probably go on...

That said, P4G is, as you noted, just a straight upgrade that doesn't sacrifice anything, as had to be done with FES->P3P. I suspect that for me it'd be hard to go back to vanilla P4 at this point, too, due to some of the luck-based gameplay (although that was present somewhat in P3P, too, but to a lesser extent).

As far as a P5 "director's cut" type release ala FES/P3P/Golden, honestly, the way P5's story is set and paced, it'd be hard to add new material regardless; I think the best way to approach things there would be to introduce a bunch of alternative Confidants that were mutually exclusive from the originals (a la the two different Sun links in P4). Newspaper Club Girl could potentially work as one of the new ones, yeah. Potentially, the different Confidants could give different bonuses, too, adding to replay value. Now, whether this was done through in-game decisions (again, like in P4), or by introducing a second possible protagonist (like P3P's "alternate" Social Links got)...honestly, I could go either way on that.
Formerly a panda, formerly a carnivore. Now just a guy without a catch phrase.
https://imgtc.com/i/uVS7l1o.jpg

tommy101
6 months ago#3
Ah yes, true, there is quite a bit I didn't mention, that is added to P3P, even in the male protagonist route, and I can't believe I forgot about the Answer too; as you know from one of the active threads here, I'm a fan of the female protagonist route too, but we'll have to agree to disagree on Maya vs Saori ;)!

Similarly, for me, but in the reverse, I feel it might be difficult for me to play P4G after playing vanilla, one reason being, as mentioned in my original post, I don't like the fact of how changes had to be made to the voice cast... that said Matthew Mercer does do a damn good job of replacing Troy Baker as Kanji, and I don't mind Sam Riedel replacing Dave Wittenberg as Teddie.

I guess my only real issue is with Erin Fitzgerald replacing Tracey Rooney as Chie, however I do feel as time has gone on, either I've accepted this... or I feel she's relaxed into the role more, as I didn't think she was too bad in P4D.

That said, I did find someone who I feel would have been a good replacement for Tracey Rooney, in my opinion anyway, Evan Rachel Wood; was watching Strange Magic some time back, and hearing the voice of Marianne (ERW) made me think of Chie - so I just need to build a time machine, and go back to the time P4G was to be dubbed ;).

Still, as I mentioned, there are people for and against the voice changes; the other option, other than live with it, is to import the Japanese version of P4G, which I have considered, but I've not developed enough knowledge and understanding to do that; I'll have to spend more time on my real world social links ;).

I did import the Japanese version of P4D, as my knowledge and understanding wouldn't need to be that high for that game, and also to hear what Kanami, Sumomo, Tomoe, Nozomi and Tamami sounded like in the original version.

True, we have the question of what route will a P5 remake follow; P3P or P4G... or will it forge its own route?

Again, as I mentioned previously, I do have to wonder if the reason P3P was made to be so different, in the fact that it introduced an additional protagonist is because it wasn't as established as P4 when P4G was made; there's a P5 the Animation, and we now have P5D and Q2 on the way, solidifying the current lore of P5, so it might be difficult for a P5 remake to break the mould of the original... perhaps.

There does seem to be quite a bit of love for Newspaper Club Girl, as when I did a search online, to confirm I had her "name" correct, I did find a couple of Reddit threads for her.
The Tenth Doctor: It used to be easy ... you could hop between realities, home in time for tea. / Batman Begins: FFXV (www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd8c4uIoU2w)

User Info: JLazarillo

JLazarillo
6 months ago#4
tommy101 posted...
Matthew Mercer does do a damn good job of replacing Troy Baker as Kanji

That's prolly 'cause in Golden, Baker returned to the role for Kanji's new lines. Same with Anna Graves and Naoto, even though she didn't reprise the role in other places.

Mercer does stand out for some extra lines he recorded for another character, though. Character goes from kinda light to Mercer's trademark baritone and back again, mid-monologue.

I guess my only real issue is with Erin Fitzgerald replacing Tracey Rooney as Chie, however I do feel as time has gone on, either I've accepted this... or I feel she's relaxed into the role more, as I didn't think she was too bad in P4D.

Eh, I found Rooney kinda all over the place. She had a few good lines, but she clearly sounded like she was "doing a voice" as Chie...very little of her delivery felt natural. It was tolerable, and the "fake voice" factor was not as bad as, say, Haru's delivery in P5, but still, I pretty much prefer Fitzgerald anyway, outside of everything but "Aha is this our chance?"...which was more of a "so bad it's good"...

Again, as I mentioned previously, I do have to wonder if the reason P3P was made to be so different, in the fact that it introduced an additional protagonist is because it wasn't as established as P4 when P4G was made; there's a P5 the Animation, and we now have P5D and Q2 on the way, solidifying the current lore of P5, so it might be difficult for a P5 remake to break the mould of the original... perhaps.

This is a fair, and interesting, point I hadn't considered. It does seem sensible that they wouldn't want to introduce a second protagonist after already making Joker in his current form kinda the face...of the whole series, really, with the whole Smash Brothers thing. I still stand by alternative Confidants in the Ayane/Yumi style, though.
Formerly a panda, formerly a carnivore. Now just a guy without a catch phrase.
https://imgtc.com/i/uVS7l1o.jpg

tommy101
6 months ago#5
JLazarillo posted...
That's prolly 'cause in Golden, Baker returned to the role for Kanji's new lines. Same with Anna Graves and Naoto, even though she didn't reprise the role in other places.

Oh right, as Mercer took over from Baker halfway through P4A, I assumed P4G would have been Mercer too.

JLazarillo posted...
Eh, I found Rooney kinda all over the place. She had a few good lines, but she clearly sounded like she was "doing a voice" as Chie...very little of her delivery felt natural. It was tolerable, and the "fake voice" factor was not as bad as, say, Haru's delivery in P5, but still, I pretty much prefer Fitzgerald anyway, outside of everything but "Aha is this our chance?"...which was more of a "so bad it's good"...

Haha, another thing we're going to have to agree to disagree on then ;) - Fitzgerald vs. Rooney.

I've only heard a bit of the P5 dub, thanks to not having the option to change the audio settings before the prologue, and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qECyYJ1Lvqg

When I got P5, I liked the sound of the Japanese cast better, so just selected the Japanese audio from the get go (after downloading it).

If the above video is anything to go by, the pronunciations aren't always great in the dub, as it sounds like Haru says "Harold and Kumar" rather than "Haru Okumura".

I actually forgot until I was playing P5D, but Mercer is also in P5/P5D, as Yuusuke; as Yuusuke he actually reminds me of someone, but looking through his voice work, I couldn't see a corresponding character that I could have been thinking of.

JLazarillo posted...
This is a fair, and interesting, point I hadn't considered. It does seem sensible that they wouldn't want to introduce a second protagonist after already making Joker in his current form kinda the face...of the whole series, really, with the whole Smash Brothers thing. I still stand by alternative Confidants in the Ayane/Yumi style, though.

Forgot about Smash Bros., the P5 promo for it was pretty sweet, well thought out.

Yeah, alternate confidants would be interesting, especially if, as you say the alternate confidants unlock different bonuses to the original ones, even more so if they don't carry over, then it would mean you have the question of "which confidant you want to go for, whether for the story or the bonus"; still maybe after the third playthrough the bonuses could carry over ;)!
  • Topic Archived