• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
  3. Question about playing female...

User Info: Jageshemash

Jageshemash
7 months ago#1
With as few spoilers as possible, can anyone tell me if playing the game as a female character results in a fundamentally different story than playing as a male? Like, should I play a round with both characters to get the 'full' experience, or is it perfectly okay to just play the female character and not even bother with the male?
STOP THE VIOLENCE! CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!

User Info: Dorami

Dorami
7 months ago#2
The overall story is the same. There are some differences in the dialogue choices, but they are aesthetic and do not change the overall plot.

Social links:
Some are the same with just a few words changed.
Some are with the same characters but have noticeably different events.
Some are with completely different people.

I prefer the female version in most cases, so if you intend to play the game once only, I would say to play the female route.
"Systematically killing randomly generated lolis actually sounds okay, now that I think about it." - DesertWolfXII

User Info: tommy101

tommy101
7 months ago#3
Before I played P3P, I heard that playing the female route was for veteran players, but I still went for that route any way; I personally didn't see anything that made it more difficult than the male route, except for a more time sensitive social link.

I would say it's probably fine to play just the female route, if you only wanted to play the game once, but playing both does give, as you say, a "full" experience:

You'll notice the difference in the characters, and how they interact with the protagonist, both as part of the story, and as social links;

You'll notice the difference in some scenes, such as seeing some scenes being played out in two different "angles" [Kyoto];

You'll notice some social link characters are different between the two routes, which will lead to different events in the social link.

Playing the same route multiple times can even bring new things, as the Hermit Social Link for the female route gives you the option of being in the Library or Health Committee; both feature Hasegawa Saori as the social link character, but towards the very end of the social link there is a slight difference between which committee you pick.

Also, playing both routes might help you out if you want to play Persona Q series, as it seems Q2 has established that P3P does exist in an alternate universe to the main canon - damn, now I have to (buy and) play Q too, so that I can buy Q2 when it's released ;)!
The Tenth Doctor: It used to be easy ... you could hop between realities, home in time for tea. / Batman Begins: FFXV (www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd8c4uIoU2w)

User Info: JLazarillo

JLazarillo
7 months ago#4
tommy101 posted...
Also, playing both routes might help you out if you want to play Persona Q series, as it seems Q2 has established that P3P does exist in an alternate universe to the main canon - damn, now I have to (buy and) play Q too, so that I can buy Q2 when it's released ;)!

Q and Q2 are mostly unrelated, for what it's worth (in fact, for...reasons, in Q2, it's as if the first never happened). I'm playing Q2 right now without having played the first one, and the only notable "issue" is it's actually much more fun than I had anticipated, and so now I'm gonna have to go back and play Q1 anyway.

And hopefully without saying too much, yes, if you're like me and actually prefer the heroine route to the original (or just like it in general), Q2 is a real treat.
Formerly a panda, formerly a carnivore. Now just a guy without a catch phrase.
https://imgtc.com/i/uVS7l1o.jpg

tommy101
7 months ago#5
JLazarillo posted...
Q and Q2 are mostly unrelated, for what it's worth (in fact, for...reasons, in Q2, it's as if the first never happened). I'm playing Q2 right now without having played the first one, and the only notable "issue" is it's actually much more fun than I had anticipated, and so now I'm gonna have to go back and play Q1 anyway.

And hopefully without saying too much, yes, if you're like me and actually prefer the heroine route to the original (or just like it in general), Q2 is a real treat.

Thanks for the info, I'll relax a bit on my mad rush to find Q then, as it seems like it's as rare as a precious stone at the moment; checked a couple of online retailers, and poked into a couple high street stores, but nothing... well, there was one hit, but they were literally selling it second hand, but at new prices!

I really have to sort out my misunderstanding with Amazon (UK) at some point.

It could be the "first" rule, but I do prefer the female route, to the male route; think she's a better character, and really like some of her social links, such as the aforementioned Hermit Social Link, and the Chariot Social Link.

I actually need to do a playthrough at some point where I max all the social links on the female route.

Q2 definitely sounds interesting, as you have the female protagonist interacting with the "Earth-Prime" S.E.E.S, and I definitely want to witness that; I actually have thought about a third Arena game where this happens.
The Tenth Doctor: It used to be easy ... you could hop between realities, home in time for tea. / Batman Begins: FFXV (www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd8c4uIoU2w)

JLazarillo
7 months ago#6
tommy101 posted...
It could be the "first" rule, but I do prefer the female route, to the male route; think she's a better character, and really like some of her social links, such as the aforementioned Hermit Social Link, and the Chariot Social Link.

The Hermit Social Link is one of the few places where I actually prefer the original hero. I loved the 'Maya' character. Hermit for the heroine felt like it just sorta went in circles for too long, and just sorta dumped a bunch of "shocking" info into the last 10 seconds.

tommy101
7 months ago#7
So just thought I'd watch the two Hermit Social Links for contrast; I can see what you mean about Maya, as you learn about the actual person behind the avatar, along with its revelations and reformation, then you also have the joke responses.

Still, I can't help but prefer Saori, I mean yeah, her social link could be seen as going round in circles, but it's all about helping out an unassertive girl; my heart really goes out to her as things just seem to get worse and worse for her, and I do like the extra scene with the committee adviser if you go for the Health Committee version.

Have to wonder what happens to Saori in the male route, if they ever added her in; she does make a cameo in the movie tetralogy, so she does exist in one version of the male route.

Similarly, you have to wonder what happens with Maya in the female route, as Junpei keeps the game rather than gives it to the protagonist, like in the male route; does Junpei help Maya out?

JLazarillo
7 months ago#8
Similarly, you have to wonder what happens with Maya in the female route, as Junpei keeps the game rather than gives it to the protagonist, like in the male route; does Junpei help Maya out?

Since my take on it is "Junpei is the real hero of the game in the male route anyway", I'm going to say that yes, yes he does. Although since Maya openly crushes on both the protagonist and "Tatsuya" (without knowing they're the same), the question becomes whether such a ridiculous coincidence happens for Junpei, too.

...I'm gonna guess that part's probably a no.

User Info: Jageshemash

Jageshemash
7 months ago#9
So I know the main battle theme 'Mass Destruction' is replaced for the female character, but is there any other music swaps? I can live without 'Mass Destruction', I don't know if I can live without 'Burn My Dread'.
STOP THE VIOLENCE! CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!

JLazarillo
7 months ago#10
Jageshemash posted...
So I know the main battle theme 'Mass Destruction' is replaced for the female character, but is there any other music swaps? I can live without 'Mass Destruction', I don't know if I can live without 'Burn My Dread'.

There are a couple others, but Burn My Dread isn't one.

The music swaps are:
Random Battles: Mass Destruction is swapped for Wiping All Out
Tartarus Boss Battles: Master of Tartarus is swapped for Danger Zone (the only one, IMO, that's not as good as the original)
School Spring/Summer Semester: Want to be Close is swapped for Time
School Fall/Winter Semester: Changing Seasons is swapped for Sun
Port Island Locations: When the Moon Reaching Out Stars is swapped for A Way of Life

In addition, there are two new tracks used in the heroine protagonist's unique Social Links, After School (used in daytime Social Links) and Tender Feelings (used in night Social Links). The Social Links that are shared with the original hero retain the same music, though, so those tracks aren't completely swapped out.
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
  3. Question about playing female...
  • Topic Archived