• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Saki Portable
  3. Help - Why Can't I call win

User Info: drkswrds

drkswrds
9 years ago#1
I get this weird message sometimes when I'm in tenpai and I draw the winning tile.
It doesn't let me win.
It has two caution symbols can someone explain to me what I am doing wrong?
---

User Info: DDT213

DDT213
9 years ago#2
Two caution symbols...maybe you should do a screen capture next time you see it? My best guess would be you didn't have any Yaku thus unable to legitimately make a winning hand. Where did this happen anyway, story mode?
In memory of one of my favorite manga artists, Usui Yoshihito.
May your soul rest in peace. Sep 20, 2009.

User Info: lord_phr0zen

lord_phr0zen
9 years ago#3
This happened to me too and I can't declare a Ron, that's because the winning tile that I need was previously discarded by me already. An example would be that I discard a 3 because I don't need it, but later got a 4 and a 5 so I need another 3 to complete the set. 3 can't be the winning tile so I can't Ron it.

I have never experienced that with a Tsumo though, just Ron.

DDT213
9 years ago#4
Just saw the message myself.

^ lord_phr0zen is right. It's the Furi-Ten rule. Not only can you not declare Ron on the tile you have previously discarded, you can't Ron with any tiles that you have been waiting at the same time.

For example: your hand is currently consist of Souzu 2223456777 and Nan x3; you would need 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 Sou to make the winning hand, which is pretty easy. However, if you have ANY one of the Souzu from 1 to 8 in your discard pool, you would be in the Furi-Ten state meaning you can only Tsumo if you plan on winning with any of the above mentioned tiles.

In lord_phr0zen's case, he couldn't have Ron'd had his opponent discarded a 6 either because he was waiting for 3 and 6.

That's one of the caution messages. The other is what I said in my previous post, the Yaku nashi rule. You didn't have any Yaku so you couldn't legitimately make your hand. Make sure you declare Reach, which is an Yaku by itself, if you're planning on winning with a hand that otherwise doesn't contain any Yaku at all.

User Info: Crystania

Crystania
9 years ago#5
I hate the furiten rule, seriously. Anyone know the reason behind the implementation of this rule in JP mahjong?
"My hand is betraying me? No.. its my heart." - Kanon, Wild Arms 2nd Ignition
Patchouli 24 Priest/12 Mage HolicOnline

DDT213
9 years ago#6
The Furiten rule dates back to the Shouwa period. Back then it was considered a dirty play to specifically target any particular player at the table, and Furiten was the answer people came up with to avoid such play style.

User Info: Crystania

Crystania
9 years ago#7
Part of mahjong strategy is, after all, deception and mind games. If you are forced to not win on tiles you already discarded, half of that goes out of the window. Sigh, what a stupid rule.
"My hand is betraying me? No.. its my heart." - Kanon, Wild Arms 2nd Ignition
Patchouli 24 Priest/12 Mage HolicOnline
  1. Boards
  2. Saki Portable
  3. Help - Why Can't I call win
  • Topic Archived