• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fable III
  3. Peter Molyneux and his promises...

User Info: Majima05

Majima05
9 years ago#1
So I played Fable 2 and loved it and am actually considering buying the first Fable off of live (but people told me to hold out until I come across a TLC copy of Fable and just get that rather then spend 1200 points). I can't wait for Fable 3; I've been watching the Dev Diaries and just interviews with Peter Molynuex and some gameplay vids and what not. Things I thought lacked in 2 look like they've been corrected in 3 (more cut scene's and a deeper story instead of revenge and hunting down companions, as well as this seems to have a deeper meaning). The fact that they got the guy from Monte Python as the VA for the Butler is just great. I also heard some other big name British actor's are in this, Ben Kingsley being one of them as well. That's great to hear. Granted I'm not saying the VA in 2 was bad, it was quite good i thought, but actors on this caliber can only mean that there will be more dialogue (which I thought was lacking in 2) and a deeper story/meaning. Overall Fable 2 was a great experience for me and was one of the reasons I decided to get a 360.

Now I liked Fable 2, but when i bring it up in conversation, more times then not people say how disappointed they were with it and how it was supposed to have this and that but didn't have any of that (not sure exactly what there referring to as I just got into the series). I've also heard on some game sites/vids about how Peter Molynuex promises this and that and it all seems and looks great; but then when the final product releases none or most of the things that were promised and sounded great are in it.

So, without dragging this out any longer and making you guys read more; I'm curious to know some of the things that Peter Molynuex promised or said would be in Fable 2 and weren't. With that being said, I'm also curious as to what promises or things he's said about Fable 3 that seem like they won't happen, judging by things he's said in the past about Fable 2 that didn't come true and happen. I know he's infamous for talking up a good game, but he has a bit of a rep for being a BS'er from what it sounds like. So before I get my hopes up like everybody did for Fable 2 only to get let down; and from what everybody says about it and Peter himself, I thought I should ask people on here some things he promised for Fable 2 that didn't happen and about somethings that have been promised for Fable 3 and judging by his past, seem like they won't happen. I look forward to every bodies replies!!!
--- Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep has finally come!!!

User Info: HolyKnight89

HolyKnight89
9 years ago#2
well there is no doubt that PM, peter Molyneux, hyped the hell out of fable 1 and 2. He has the uncanny ability to describe his games with a certain detail that can never really be achieved in his games. I am not talking about gameplay here but rather scenarios he said could happen in game.

Example: The way he described the dog in fable 2 was this never before seen AI companion. if you never healed your dog you could actually lose him. Once back in town and at a pub or whatnot, the dog would eventually catch up to you and claw helplessly at the door looking like it just got ranover. The people in the pub would be horrified at the sight at the dog and would demand to know the owner. None of this could actually happen in a game.

There is also gameplay things that he described that never made it into games.
Ex from Fable 2: You can go anywhere you can see.
Ex from fable 1: Kids would get their haircuts like the heros when popular enough

I actually am a huge fan of PM and it seems this time around he has made a good attempt at providing examples of what he is describing in interviews. They have also keep the whole second half of the game a secret though so you never really know what to expect. Try to keep your own hype to a minimum and im sure youll love F3 like most of us on here.
----
M Shadows in the Flesh

User Info: Martin Pagan

Martin Pagan
9 years ago#3

The fact that they got the guy from Monte Python as the VA for the Butler is just great. I also heard some other big name British actor's are in this, Ben Kingsley being one of them as well. That's great to hear.

Yes, granted, it is great but making this a selling point of the game is a big mistake because it's not just the voice actors that make a game good. For example, the first games in Poland that were localised in full (script and voice overs) were done by popular and successful stage and movie actors. And frankly, their voicings were horrid. They just read the script without putting any emotion whatsoever into it. So, at least to me, Lionhead's hammering home the fact that Cleese is one of the voice actors in the game, while exciting, is not really something that would make me buy the game, were I on the fence about it.

Kids would get their haircuts like the heros when popular enough

Actually, I would love to see it. Kids running around with dreadlock wigs and fake beards, lol :D
Confucius says: man who fart in church sit in his own pew.

User Info: Majima05

Majima05
9 years ago#4
So nothing seems to Far Fetched about the things he's said regarding Fable 3? He said Multiplayer has been fully redone. You can go off and do your own thing while your friend can go off and do something totally different and still be in your World to meet up and do story missions and what not. He also said things about the dog for Fable 3 as well; he said "the dog was to well behaved in Fable 2; so we wanted to make him more like a dog. Now he hates rabbits and has this thing for rabbits". We'll see how "misbehaved" this dog can get and the things you can do to tame him/her.

He also made some comments about expressions being different and more prominent. Instead of just being the little "gimmick" they were in 2, they'll be a little more balanced and rounded; detailed is a better way to describe it maybe. What do you think about that?
--- Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep has finally come!!!

User Info: Seiphon

Seiphon
9 years ago#5
He said in Fable 2, your kids would grow up, and emmulate you, even join you on adventures. If you have loads of Tattoo's, your kid would run off at the first chance and get himself/herself Inked up.

He also said there would be "context sensitive combat" where if your in a Pub, you would be able to throw drinks in peoples face, slide over table's and still swashbuckle with a sword, all just by pressing 3 or 4 buttons.

The idea that the things he promises are impossible, well I just dont beleive that. What he seems to lack is the initial idea being translated over to the game designers, PM's just a producer. He can tell his designers to make x and y, then they'l just come back to him and say x and y was to hard to do, so we made z and k instead.

Its not impossible, it just shows a lack of imagination really in their game design.

----

As for Fable 3, i havent followed it AT ALL.

So when I get it, I wont have to deal with that over exagerating snake that is Peter Molelenux.

(I love PM's games BTW, he's a great character, I just dont beleive a word he says anymore)

User Info: rickGamer

rickGamer
9 years ago#6
In the first Fable there was supposed to be that Sandgoose but was never actually put into the final game, also more info on the Sandgoose here: http://fable.wikia.com/wiki/Sandgoose

I also remember an interview with Peter who said about a secret which he wouldn't reveal for the first Fable, all he said was it had something to do with the Bowerstones Inn cellar, I remember when loads of us on the Fable board was trying to discover the secret but no one ever did.

Also in the first fable you were meant to be able to plant a seed as a child then when you get older the tree would be fully grown but this never happened. In Fable 2 Peter said you would be able to kill off a whole town and it would become a ghost town and another would pop up in a different area, this never got put into the final game either.

I thought the first Fable was great because I didn't follow it at all and was quite surprised by how good it was, it was only after it had been released people started complaining about the stuff that should have been in the game. I followed Fable 2 quite a lot but still it was a great game even without the stuff he promised.

I too am not following Fable 3 too much this time so that I may enjoy it a lot more, but from what I've seen so far it does look incredible, I'm happy to hear that the areas are a lot bigger and open now, something I thought was lacking with the Fable games.
A strong positive attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug.

User Info: meralonne

meralonne
9 years ago#7
"The idea that the things he promises are impossible, well I just dont beleive that. What he seems to lack is the initial idea being translated over to the game designers, PM's just a producer. He can tell his designers to make x and y, then they'l just come back to him and say x and y was to hard to do, so we made z and k instead.

Its not impossible, it just shows a lack of imagination really in their game design.
"

What is this I don't...

Okay, "lack of imagination"? Tell you what: I will personally pay for your plane ticket and hotel room if you agree to fly to England, walk in to Lionhead Studios and personally program Fable 4. Since it's just so easy to do what Peter wants, but his existing programmers are unimaginative (and presumably either unskilled or just plain lazy). Send me your address and the check is in the mail.

>_>
"Sigs are for dorks."-- my wife

User Info: ccdude1445

ccdude1445
9 years ago#8
The Key is to recognise the difference between Peter's "Imagination" and his "details" of the game. There are visual, audio and textual clues for this if you pay attention and watch his mannerisms.

I have found for me a good rule of thumb is:
Where are his hands?
Are they close to his body or farther away?
What are his hands doing?
Are they moving a lot in up and down and circular motions or are they making fewer movements and being distinctly "linear"?

Audio wise:
What is the pitch of his voice?
Is it high and excited or lower and more "sure".
How is he speaking?
Fast or Slow?

What are his eyes doing?
Are they wide and looking around or looking directly to the interviewer/camera?

What is he talking about?
Is he talking about something he "likes" and is making jokes/laughing or is he being more serious and direct?

This isn't only broken up by his interviews on camera but they can help on his "textual" interviews as well.

If he talking about something he likes or is he answering the question?
Is he going off on a tangent, avoiding the question or ignoring the next question to focus on the first question?
Is he using grander words or is he actually using a term from the game?

Peter has a bad habit of letting what he "wants" to happen be a part of the game, however he is vague about the details when he says this, it is not that these things can NOT happen but that in his imagination he believes they "could" happen so it is "alright" to talk about them as if they do. When he talks about things like this he usually has a wide "happy" expression and talks excitedly, the pitch of his voice is a little higher, he talks faster and his hands are moving more rapidly.

Let's take a certain "Imaginative" and explore it:

"For instance if a villager steals from a business or another."

Well the imagination would go off on a tangent:
Villager is dragged before you in the royal court begging and pleading for their lives, that they're family is poor and unable to support themselves."

"You can choose to show that villager leniency and give them more money to help their poor family out and they will thank you for it and support you, or you can be brutal and kill them where they stand, or drag them off to prison if you so choose, you can do whatEVER you want because it's YOUR game and it's YOUR world to do with as you choose!"

The exact context of the message is different but that's generally what he's stated

Sounds great, right? Sounds like you'll have total rule.

Two problems:
This would require that if ANY villager steals, even if there are a LOT of them each one would have to be taken before you which means you would have to sit there and go through each one, one by one, if it's a dozen, sorry, you'll just have to sit there. Which, is possible I'll give you that but would you WANT to sit there for hours going through one problem after the next?

What is most likely:

Let's say it IS in your throne room and it IS something like your being in the throne room:
--
And so shall it be considered Fate.

User Info: ccdude1445

ccdude1445
9 years ago#9
Random scripted event:

Villager is dragged into throne room. Player is offered three choices:
Kill
Throw in Dungeon, if by expression touch then drag to local guard
Show leniency and offer money to help out.

Wait 10 seconds, if player does not get up from throne or leave "area" next scripted event occurs:

Next random scripted event:

This villager does not pay their taxes...

Etc.,

Ok, so say it's NOT by throne room(which would be cooler if it was) but by "walking around", well, same difference.

In all likelihood though there will be NO villager brought before you, only a name by your "magister" or whatever and you are told where they are, you can make the decision then and there with your counsel to do either one of those events or go out yourself(unlikely).

You have to "tone down" what Peter says, that's all.

And so shall it be considered Fate.

User Info: rickGamer

rickGamer
9 years ago#10
Yeah Peter does have a tendency to let his imagination run away with him, but then if you are into role playing in a game then who's to say that these things cant happen. The past two Fable games are excellent games in my opinion, and if Peter didn't hype it so much I think a lot more people would pick them up.

But that's the thing I love about Peter, he has a vivid imagination and he likes to express his ideas and get excited about them, and due to his imagination we have seen some unique games, for example the Black and White games, they were incredible and the reason I bought my first gaming PC, I think other game developers should take a leaf out of Peters book in my opinion.
A strong positive attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug.
  1. Boards
  2. Fable III
  3. Peter Molyneux and his promises...
  • Topic Archived