• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Gladiator Begins
  3. Pugilist play through: My first time playing.

User Info: Scottienigma

Scottienigma
3 years ago#1
So I recently purchased this game and am having a blast with it. I am a huge unarmed/Fist fighting kind of player when a game allows it, so naturally I was crazy excited when I found out the game had that as an option. I have currently made it to day 18 using only those types of weapons, and have no experience at all in other forms of fighting. The reason I bring this up is upon checking this board I saw a ton of threads about how bad the pugilist class is, and how it just makes things frustrating.

Personally I have had nothing but smooth sailing for the most part with this class. I turned easy combos off, dodge and parry when I can, and manage my meter to assure I am never fatigued (Basically just treating the game like any 2D or 3D fighting game).

Am I looking at maybe a huge difficulty spike later on, or is there something I may be seeing differently compared to others that have come before me? There is a pretty big chance that seeing as it is all I know, that I don't know any better, but as of now I personally feel rocking the pugilist is a very solid and powerful class with a little patience and forethought when going into battles.

What do you guys have to say on this topic?

User Info: sejembalm

sejembalm
3 years ago#2
Yes, the difficulty really goes up, but before day 18. People have trouble beating their first named gladiator in a duel and then later beating the Egyptians, Hories who lunges at your legs and Ursus flips and jabs at your head.

The Pugilist style is the fastest, but the weapons have very short range. Some people use arm armor as pugilist weapons for the longer reach. The pugilist can be too fast for some who parry too quickly before the opponent gets his blow in close enough.

The biggest disadvantage to the pugilist is not having a shield. Especially in Survival matches when you are being mobbed by three opponents at once, not having a shield to protect you from attacks all around you is a detriment.

In single fights, the Pugilist is a fearsome style with the fastest attacks and parries. I prefer the Large Shield style, but I usually assign one Pugilist move to my attacks, usually Headbutt. Very short range, but it's so fast few can parry it in time. And it's amusing to see someone get headbutted to death.

" I wish your enterprise today may thrive."
- Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, Act 3, scene i.

User Info: Jmanghan

Jmanghan
3 years ago#3
Never played as a pugilist, but they are tough to fight unless you're OP.

The high kick hits like a truck.
Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Xio (Class: Fighter)
PSN: Ghj547.

User Info: presea_lover

presea_lover
3 years ago#4
Pugilist style is one of the most fun imo as well, because you can corner trap a guy and punch his helmet off+kill him in seconds. Or even less time. The punch combos are fun too.

But yeah, it is harder. And it will get rougher for you. The biggest problem with Pugilist is lack of range, and the other is no shield. The dual sword class has no shield as well, but makes up for it with offensive skills and long range. Pugilist has nothing except corner trapping and raw damage. Granted, when you catch someone in your loop of right hook->left triple body blow, they're going to go down if they can't parry and don't have anywhere to go. That right hook to the head is brutal and will destroy an enemy's helmet+health, while the left triple body blow knocks off whatever it hits.

Pugilist also has big trouble with crowds whenever the mobs are not putties. In the early game, enemies die too fast to be an issue. Later though, 3 or so decently strong enemies going after you can be rough. You don't have too many defensive skills and you can't block, so it's all down to your dodge and parry game. If you get corner trapped or hemmed in, you're going to get hit.
"If less is more, just think how much more more will be!" - Dr. Frasier Crane
http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=presea_hater

Jmanghan
3 years ago#5
Agreed.

Jmanghan
3 years ago#6
If you need anymore help, always make sure to hit us up.

Jmanghan
3 years ago#7
Mad info, yo.

Jmanghan
3 years ago#8
Maaaaddddd IN!

Jmanghan
3 years ago#9
Mad info***

Jmanghan
3 years ago#10
@Scottienigma How are you enjoying the game?
  1. Boards
  2. Gladiator Begins
  3. Pugilist play through: My first time playing.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers