• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate
  3. R-Type Command II will, according to the Data section on GameFAQs, in fact be...

User Info: SubjectNineteen

SubjectNineteen
10 years ago#1
...released in the U.S., online via the PlayStation Store. The date is still 'TBA', but this is better than nothing. I'm still lamenting the loss of a box, but I can remedy that by buying a hard-copy of the Japanese version of the game.

So, let's rest easy knowing that this game will (hopefully) see the light of day on American (and maybe European) shores after over a year of waiting.

I wonder why Atlus didn't pick this one up. I guess they must not have made a reasonable profit on the first R-Type Command.

Oh, and not that it matters, but 80/80. *Shrug*
RAM: 512 kB Chip-RAM| CPU: Motorola 68000| Graphics: 320x200 (32 or 4096 colors)|
Sound: 8 bit 4 channels Stereo, 29Khz| Floppydrive: 880kB| OS: Kickstart 1.3

User Info: Iron_Chef_Brian

Iron_Chef_Brian
10 years ago#2
Well, at least we'll be getting it. That's good enough for me.

I think the main reason for Irem's split from Atlus was because Atlus mistranslated some ship names. I looked at several wikipedia articles concerning ship names (esp. Bydo ship names) and found that the R-Type Command names differed from their original names (i.e. Bermate is really Bellmite, Kombiler is really Compiler, Avanc is really Arvanche, etc). Irem probably got p'd off at Atlus for being "unfaithful" and canned their relationship.

What does anyone else think?
Allez Cuisine!

User Info: PrivatePrinny

PrivatePrinny
10 years ago#3
...I say: "Finally! uh..no physical copy? Damn...but yeah...getting digitial is far better than nothing at all!"

this will be a day one purchase for me, even when I have to purchase US PSN money again (living in Europa)

Edit:

So now I am interested in...who posted that info on the "Data" section? As I am not knowledgeable about this process in gamefaqs is this a trustworthy info or just the latest hearsay or "whish-to-be"?
Combo Count: +9
Total Damage: 0

User Info: SubjectNineteen

SubjectNineteen
10 years ago#4
I emailed Irem last week and got this reply:

"Thank you for contacting us.

The release date of "R-TYPE TACTICS II -Operation BITTER CHOCOLATE-" for
U.S. has not yet decided, but we are now trying to release it as soon as we
can.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
IREM SOFTWARE ENGINEERING INC."

So, Irem don't even know when it will release in the U.S. Heh. Well, at least this means we will be getting the game, even if it is on the PSN. I'll still import a hard copy of the game so I can have something to put on my shelf.

It's pretty sad that there is zero coverage to be found about the game being released in the U.S. other than that one article on Joystiq, I believe. I would like to think it would at least be mentioned on Gamespot or in Game Informer once a release date is announced, but I doubt it will come to that. It will sneak quietly into the PSN Store and probably go unnoticed by most of the gaming world. *Sigh* The injustice of that is saddening.

"What does anyone else think?"

That's probably as good a guess as any. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if Atlus simply declined to pick up the game. I can't imagine that R-Type Tactics sold well, as it was neither a 'true' (in the purist's mindset) R-Type nor a deep enough tactical RPG to appeal to the hardcore strategists out there--or that may be the perception people had at a glance.

I guess I could see Irem terminating the relationship if the script itself was translated poorly. Countless things get mistranslated in gaming (such as the sword Ragnarock in Tales of Phantasia: it's called 'Kangaroo' on the English GBA version. *Facepalm*), so I can't see a few mistranslated ship names being a dealbreaker.

Another thought is that Irem is trying to establish itself in the U.S. and elsewhere as an independent entity on the PlayStation Network. They released Spelunker HD independently of a third-party publisher, so they probably want to do the same with R-Type Tactics II: OBC (which will sadly not be its name in the U.S.).

Maybe Irem will be porting some of their other games to the PSN in other countries if their games sell well. Though, to be quite honest, most of the other games on their website seem to scream 'Japanese niche title.' I don't think, say, SAMURAI Card Game - BATTLE OF HOTOTOGISU released Stateside.
RAM: 512 kB Chip-RAM| CPU: Motorola 68000| Graphics: 320x200 (32 or 4096 colors)|
Sound: 8 bit 4 channels Stereo, 29Khz| Floppydrive: 880kB| OS: Kickstart 1.3
  1. Boards
  2. R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate
  3. R-Type Command II will, according to the Data section on GameFAQs, in fact be...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A