You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star Portable 2
  3. PSPortable 2 in {current year}

User Info: Gataru

Gataru
1 month ago#1
Hello all,

I have played this game over the years but always end up putting it away because it seems like solo play is discouraged. I notice there are a few status ailments that make solo play quite a chore, freeze and stun. I was wondering if there is a way to become immune to these effects as it is very easy to die and the game becomes stressful when any level that includes these are extremely difficult to pass. Is there a way to become immune to either of these effects? They are simply the only way I fail a quest.

I recently got to play through PSO Zero and upon starting Hard Mode I noticed the dragon boss had an HP pool that was simply absurd for a solo, non over leveled player to deal with. I concluded that as opposed to PSO that was excellent for multiplayer but also perfectly balanced for solo play, the newer entries had a more accessible online resulting in a game that is designed around group play even in solo mode. Similar to G rank dragons in Monster Hunter where the damage and HP of a dragon is so high that near perfect gear is needed to reasonably solo.

So for anyone who has played this game solo only, was it a stressfest or were you able to enjoy your time? Every time I play I become more convinced that this game was designed for online play and that some monsters are ruthless to the single death rule of single player.

Lastly, does anyone play this over the Internet with LAN? I used to play on Kai but I’m unaware of an easier way that might exists for over the internet LAN connections.

Thanks for your opinions :D
First comes smiles, then lies, last comes gunfire.

User Info: blkdragon14

blkdragon14
1 month ago#2
Gataru posted...
Hello all,

I have played this game over the years but always end up putting it away because it seems like solo play is discouraged. I notice there are a few status ailments that make solo play quite a chore, freeze and stun. I was wondering if there is a way to become immune to these effects as it is very easy to die and the game becomes stressful when any level that includes these are extremely difficult to pass. Is there a way to become immune to either of these effects? They are simply the only way I fail a quest.

There are two ways to become immune to a specific status iirc, those being Modules and Type abilities.
Modules are drops or gotten through rewards, and are linked to your Shield-weaves:
http://psp2.psupedia.info/Special%253ASearch/Stun_Resist.html
http://psp2.psupedia.info/Special%253ASearch/Ice_Resist.html

Type abilites are gotten through levelling up your types (class):
Freeze Immunity is Hunter's level 10 unlock, Stun Immunity is Force's level 10 unlock. You have to have the ability equipped to get the benefit of it, which requires type points (you get more of these as you level the type). Once they are unlocked, you gain the benefit across all types. If you unlock Freeze Immunity as a Hunter and switch to Vanguard, you will still have access to equip the type ability.
http://psp2.psupedia.info/Special%253ASearch/Type_abilities.html

If you wanted to be immune to both, my best recommendation is to unlock either the Freeze or Stun Immunity Type Ability, and compliment it with the corresponding immunity Armor Module

I recently got to play through PSO Zero and upon starting Hard Mode I noticed the dragon boss had an HP pool that was simply absurd for a solo, non over leveled player to deal with. I concluded that as opposed to PSO that was excellent for multiplayer but also perfectly balanced for solo play, the newer entries had a more accessible online resulting in a game that is designed around group play even in solo mode. Similar to G rank dragons in Monster Hunter where the damage and HP of a dragon is so high that near perfect gear is needed to reasonably solo.

So for anyone who has played this game solo only, was it a stressfest or were you able to enjoy your time? Every time I play I become more convinced that this game was designed for online play and that some monsters are ruthless to the single death rule of single player.

In my experience, if you play on Story Mode, most missions are fairly easy to solo. However, moving to multiplayer mode (ad-hoc, since infrastructure mode has been offline since 2015), enemies are balanced for a 3-4 person party. You can get away with soloing MOST of these missions, but it is much more difficult and requires much better gear/type level.

Also, some multiplayer missions actually require more than 1 player to even start, but those are pretty few and far between.

Lastly, does anyone play this over the Internet with LAN? I used to play on Kai but I’m unaware of an easier way that might exists for over the internet LAN connections.

I know there's a Discord server for this game specifically, best way to find other people to play would probably be to ask around there - I don't do this myself unfortunately so I can't say for sure how active it is.
https://discord.gg/qJ7HcBU

All this being said, the PSP2 wiki is still a great source of info, even if some of it is a little off:
http://psp2.psupedia.info/Special%253ASearch/Main_Page.html

User Info: blkdragon14

blkdragon14
1 month ago#3
Also note - both of those Resist Status modules are obtained as title rewards, both for killing 5 specific bosses (Dark Falz 2nd form, Orga Spiritos).
This may be easier/faster than trying to farm a random drop or leveling up a Force (bleh).
http://psp2.psupedia.info/Special%253ASearch/Titles.html

Also a side note on solo play - until you have good gear and are routinely doing A and S rank missions (level 80 or so and up), utilize the NPC partners. They are fairly useless for damage and they will ruin your chains, but in C,B, and even some A missions, this is not that big of a deal. They will soak a lot of aggro and hits for you and it makes things much easier when you are getting up to snuff.

I personally did almost all of my game solo (level 167, Rank 30 Hunter and Vanguard) and I don't think I started doing A rank missions until like level 85 or so, which was quite a while after I unlocked them.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star Portable 2
  3. PSPortable 2 in {current year}