• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star Portable 2
  3. I still play this...

User Info: PhantomDragon

PhantomDragon
3 years ago#1
...not everyday mind you. But I still really enjoy this game. Never really played online really as I never felt I was quite good enough but I enjoy playing offline local with my friend occassionally and playing solo!!

Too bad they wont port PSonline to PS4 or id be able to play current day versions!
FC: 1607-2374-6438 II PSN: Phantom_Jukebox
Fourth Doctor: There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.

User Info: valesauce

valesauce
3 years ago#2
i'm about to pick it up again myself. i never had friends to play it with though, which seems like a shame.

User Info: vlaine

vlaine
3 years ago#3
lucky you, most of my friends don't have PSP's so i can never play alongside anybody else. thisgame had over 1000 hours before i lost my original memory stick. and even after that, i dropped almost 400 hours in once i started playing it again.
Now if they were to release infinity 2 (or maybe even nova) on the US or EU PSN, i'd likely play it till the day i died.
Watch, Listen, and Think for yourself - Daughter of Twenty Faces
Vlaine_13 on PSN, ThatGuy on nintendo network: FC 4957-4003-0345.

User Info: Sousha

Sousha
3 years ago#4
I play off and on all the time, I have the game on my PSP Go which I carry around, along with having the physical game for my PSP so if I want to play with friends I can

as for Nova it is a great game and I wish they would also have a western release of it, but since they have not done a western release of PSO2 I don't think there will be available unless you import.

User Info: PhantomDragon

PhantomDragon
3 years ago#5
Sousha posted...
I play off and on all the time, I have the game on my PSP Go which I carry around, along with having the physical game for my PSP so if I want to play with friends.

How do you find the controls on a PspGo? I also dl'd it way back when it was available on psn to my Go...but felt the controls seemed a tad fragile for an action game of PS' calibre.

Too bad Sega absolutely has no intetest in bringing ANYTHING Phantasy Star related outsideof the asian markets. AgIn, this is why i refuse to get a Vita. Two PS games on it and not one is translated for the western shores.

Sad. Another sign the great days of video gaming are slowly coming to an end...wow that was a morbid thought!
FC: 1607-2374-6438 II PSN: Phantom_Jukebox
Fourth Doctor: There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.

vlaine
3 years ago#6
rare_candy posted...

Too bad Sega absolutely has no intetest in bringing ANYTHING Phantasy Star related outsideof the asian markets. AgIn, this is why i refuse to get a Vita. Two PS games on it and not one is translated for the western shores.

Sad. Another sign the great days of video gaming are slowly coming to an end...wow that was a morbid thought!

the great days aren't ending just yet. there'll definitely be a PSO drought. but once you come to terms with that, there's still a ton of great games that have been recently released and coming out soon.

User Info: Metastase

Metastase
3 years ago#7
TBH, Nova gameplay sux. It was too "casualized" for the short attention spam kids. Even if PSO2 was released on the west it's filled with cash grab traps. Not sure I would like to be involved with this practice.

But something ocurred to me recently...not too far away from now, we will probably have enough portable technology to emulate the Dreamcast on the cheap and with good controls too due to peripherals. At which point it will be possible to experience PSO ver.02 ULTIMATE mode on the go all over again!

Sure, nowadays those GFX and even the speed of the action on screen ain't that great, but that experience still remains as the best P. Star experience I've ever had from this franchise. IMO that particular version still has the best replay value too when you consider the features in there:

- exciting Diablo-style random special effects on weapons;
- deflection of melee atacks if your blow clashes with enemy attacks;
- semi-random layout for map progression each time you play through a stage, including lasers, traps, etc;
- MAGS, simply the best customization system in the series;
- Stat Material drops;
- The absurd ULTIMATE mode exclusive to the Dreamcast version (the remakes were downgraded);
- Interconnected quest system with multiple "mini storylines" hidden inside other quests;
- spell acceleration based on TECH Disc levels up to extreme casting speeds;

I still play PSPo2 and while I do have many thousand hours put in it, it simply isn't as fun as the Dreamcast original. Despite having only 4 stages, replaying them don't seem to generate player burnout like other repetition in games tend to due to the features above. IE: you're always feeding/creating a new MAG, every run drops some Materials, weapons drops were exciting due to their Diablo-like nature, map layout change just enough so that paying attention matters, etc.

If only PSPo2 had that weapon effects or MAG system man...

vlaine
3 years ago#8
Metastase posted...
TBH, Nova gameplay sux. It was too "casualized" for the short attention spam kids. Even if PSO2 was released on the west it's filled with cash grab traps. Not sure I would like to be involved with this practice.

But something ocurred to me recently...not too far away from now, we will probably have enough portable technology to emulate the Dreamcast on the cheap and with good controls too due to peripherals. At which point it will be possible to experience PSO ver.02 ULTIMATE mode on the go all over again!

Sure, nowadays those GFX and even the speed of the action on screen ain't that great, but that experience still remains as the best P. Star experience I've ever had from this franchise. IMO that particular version still has the best replay value too when you consider the features in there:

- exciting Diablo-style random special effects on weapons;
- deflection of melee atacks if your blow clashes with enemy attacks;
- semi-random layout for map progression each time you play through a stage, including lasers, traps, etc;
- MAGS, simply the best customization system in the series;
- Stat Material drops;
- The absurd ULTIMATE mode exclusive to the Dreamcast version (the remakes were downgraded);
- Interconnected quest system with multiple "mini storylines" hidden inside other quests;
- spell acceleration based on TECH Disc levels up to extreme casting speeds;

I still play PSPo2 and while I do have many thousand hours put in it, it simply isn't as fun as the Dreamcast original. Despite having only 4 stages, replaying them don't seem to generate player burnout like other repetition in games tend to due to the features above. IE: you're always feeding/creating a new MAG, every run drops some Materials, weapons drops were exciting due to their Diablo-like nature, map layout change just enough so that paying attention matters, etc.

If only PSPo2 had that weapon effects or MAG system man...

gotta say, PSP2i is currently the best game i've seen in the series. i haven't played or seen much of the original PSO, so i can't really contest that one, but PSP2i is everything great from PSP2, plus more options, missions, enemies, difficulties, playstyles, and customizations. PSO original is a unknown to me, but from the rest that i've played and seen, PSP2i remains the best one for me.

User Info: WatermelonFrost

WatermelonFrost
3 years ago#9
If you have this game and a PS3, you can play online via Ad-Hoc Party. It looks like there's enough people here to fill up a room. The real problem is that everyone is different levels.

vlaine
3 years ago#10
sadly i just loaned out my p3 to a friend since i'm more often on my p4, and i don't think p4 caters to psp software. it does recognize it, but it doesn't do much else.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star Portable 2
  3. I still play this...
  • Topic Archived