How is the story compared to the first game (VC 1 spoilers ahead!!!)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles II
  3. How is the story compared to the first game (VC 1 spoilers ahead!!!)

User Info: 666Kefka666

666Kefka666
3 years ago#1
Today i finished VC 1 and i am unsure if i should go directly to VC 2 or play something else now (it`s a long game^^).

The point is: Even though i enjoyed the gameplay, the story felt like a living world war 2 cliche fest of things i have seen in countless WW2 movies and series and aspects that i considered more interesting, like the Vakyrur race and their origin didn`t get enough attention. On top of that motives of the villians were mentioned only right before given character dies, therefore making my favourite character selvaria totally one dimensional by the end of the game.

Is this also the point with the second game?

User Info: DuneMan

DuneMan
3 years ago#2
The second game is filled with anime slice of life school tropes. No, seriously.

It takes place at a royal military academy with a core cast of mostly high school aged folks, featuring their 'daily hijinks' around campus, then interspersed with live combat.

Most of it is the most basic, phone-it-in, seen-a-million-times-before fare.

The motivation for the villains is clear from before the game starts: racism against Darcsens.
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao

666Kefka666
3 years ago#3
Is it really that bad? I mean there are many war like animes that feature high school themes like Code Geass...

DuneMan
3 years ago#4
It's basically a collection of stereotypes, and lazy ones at that.

User Info: FefnirOmega13

FefnirOmega13
3 years ago#5
What I've played of the series thus far (beat VC, fell in love and working my way through II and will import III) wasn't really showstopping in terms of writing, but it's far more pronounced in this one. Most of the characters follow simple anime archetypes or even other general tropes in general - you have a friend of the hero's, the femme fatale/man eater, the quiet bookish lass - two if I'm not mistaken - the tomboy/borderline implied lesbian, the guy nobody likes since he was a former enemy, the clumsy with affections person, the rich refined girl, the idol, the arrogant intelligent jerk rival figure, an insufferable genius, two siblings with the older sibling being overprotective of the younger one, the ethnic minority among other ethnic minorities, the quirky mysterious girl, the self proclaimed romeo/lothario and those are just the ones I can name off the top of my head, but that's easily half the cast. Granted, I'm drastically oversimplifying personalities, but...

Play the games for the games, (because at least in my point of view they're not bad games, the blend of TBS with bits of SRPG and TPS works well and the series is arguably one of SEGA's finer offerings in recent-ish times, despite them practically discontinuing the series outside after the "poor sales of VCII" in lieu of burying the west in 3/10 Sonic games) but don't expect the story to be great. It earns a passing grade, but people who can recognise all the anime clichés will see them coming a mile off.
If you die around here, you'll burn so hard there won't even be ashes left.
If I want your corpse, I'd better take ya down here!

666Kefka666
3 years ago#6
Not related to the story: I heard the game doesn`t let you save inside a mission...
Does it make missions significantly harder? The first VC i was only able to beat because i abused the hell out of the save/reload feature.

User Info: Woodgar

Woodgar
3 years ago#7
You can't save inside a mission, and, almost unforgivable for a strategy game, you're only allowed one save for the entire game, so no keeping multiple saves to try out different ideas.

Also, the maps get reused over and over and over again.

I really wanted to like this, and I've tried to play it twice but both times gave up around June/August (story advances in monthly periods) due to the endless drag and grind.
The Taliban: So powerful they're frightened of little girls

User Info: thelocalhentai

thelocalhentai
3 years ago#8
Yes, the main story itself is a bit cliched but you know those little character growth phases, like Rosie's racist bullcrap change of heart? There's a bunch of those for most of the classes. Obviously, they aren't as "complexly" written out as that but it's nice to be able to see growth with every classmate in the game.

Unfortunately, the way to incite character growth is a bit systematic, in which the player needs to use that squad member in battle until a character specific event becomes available on school grounds. It happens two or three times and a character "side quest" opens up for them. Again, mostly cliched but definitely much more involved than the first's potential unlock=more background story formula.

The main story's problem seems to stem from the PSP's hardware limitations though. It can't handle big detailed maps, so the maps are split up becoming very unwieldy for good set pieces, which in turn hurts the story battles (remember VC1's fortress wall map?), and all that affects the overall storyline, leaving most of the main missions basically the same as every other battle but with little things put in.

It barely has anything to do with VC1 though, so not playing it right away won't do much in player memory continuity, but it's definitely worth a play. It did some things better but some things worse.

DuneMan
3 years ago#9
Other than involving all the classmates and finding a way to integrate vehicles into combat(ignoring the imbalance of captured enemy equipment), most of VC2 is worse without concern to the PSP: grindy grindy grinding for the sake of grinding(16 versions of every material type in the game, repeating stages for Credits/Certificates), totally flat characters whose development is equally flat, reactionary balancing that would seem to be untested(Orders are trash, tanks can be overpowered, Engineer class was split into several classes of which most are useless, etc.), that sort of stuff.
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles II
  3. How is the story compared to the first game (VC 1 spoilers ahead!!!)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived