• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles II
  3. Storyline Question (Spoilers)

User Info: pedrovay2004

pedrovay2004
4 years ago#1
I haven't played this in a while, so it may have been addressed in the game, but how come Darcsens are still looked down upon in VC2? Didn't the Darcsen Calamity get outed as a farce in the first game?

User Info: TooEducated

TooEducated
4 years ago#2
Most people don't know the secret history of Gallia.

The only ones who knew the "Darcsen Calamity" was a farce were those who went to the sealed room in the temple in Barius Desert. That limits the knowledge to Squad 7 members and Faldio. There's no indication that the survivors tried to spread the information around between VC1 and VC2.

Even if they did, who would believe them? The fact that the Valkyria were the ones responsible for the so-called "Darcsen Calamity" wouldn't be accepted by the majority of Gallians. The Valkyria are revered as holy figures in Gallian lore. Claiming they were aggressive conquerors would be considered blasphemy to the common people.
Founding Member of Faustian's Anonymous

User Info: Atzenkiller

Atzenkiller
4 years ago#3
But the majority of the population accepted Cordelia after she outed herself, didn't they? And she knows the real history, too, so why would she not spread it and try to convince people over time? That's something that's been bothering me, too, but I guess the devs just took the easy route and chose to ignore that fact.

TooEducated
4 years ago#4
Atzenkiller posted...
But the majority of the population accepted Cordelia after she outed herself, didn't they? And she knows the real history, too, so why would she not spread it and try to convince people over time? That's something that's been bothering me, too, but I guess the devs just took the easy route and chose to ignore that fact.

But the majority of Gallia didn't accept Cordelia after she revealed herself. That's why the rebels found so many soldiers. The Gassanarls main recruitment pitch was that Cordelia couldn't rule because she was a darcsen.

Gilbert Gassenarl just tapped into the people's hate of darcsens, but Baldren Gassanarl considered darcsen's sub-human-even going as far as to continue darcsen purges during the revolution's later days. Audrey hated darcsens too, and on religious grounds. For Audrey and other believers having Cordelia on the throne may have been a sign of the triumph of evil.

User Info: Atzenkiller

Atzenkiller
4 years ago#5
TooEducated posted...
Atzenkiller posted...

But the majority of Gallia didn't accept Cordelia after she revealed herself. That's why the rebels found so many soldiers. The Gassanarls main recruitment pitch was that Cordelia couldn't rule because she was a darcsen.

Gilbert Gassenarl just tapped into the people's hate of darcsens, but Baldren Gassanarl considered darcsen's sub-human-even going as far as to continue darcsen purges during the revolution's later days. Audrey hated darcsens too, and on religious grounds. For Audrey and other believers having Cordelia on the throne may have been a sign of the triumph of evil.

I was just refering to what the game says about how the majority of the population accepted her. At least I'm pretty sure that's what it was saying.

TooEducated
4 years ago#6
Just after the introductory story battle, Brixham narrates what happened after VC1.

When Cordelia revealed her heritage "many [responded] favorably to her candor. But not all." While the line is being spoken, the game displays two pages from the Gallia Times, one praising Cordelia for her honest, while the other calls for her to be exiled. See the first minute of the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fucvWFBRICQ&list=PL9AB26212033DF395&index=2

The nobles forming the core of the rebellion found an energetic audience for their anti-Darcsen rhetoric in Southern Gallia. I think Gallia was pretty much evenly divided on the issue of Cordelia's race.

Valkyria Chronicles as a whole may use a fictional version of WWII as a setting, but VC2 in particular seems to borrow heavily from the American Civil War, with the North against the South and heavy racism.
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles II
  3. Storyline Question (Spoilers)
  • Topic Archived