• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fez
  3. 'Big' Tome Find + Hidden Room? *MOAR SPOILERS*

User Info: Crocadillian

Crocadillian
8 years ago#1
Hey, I've done some more investigating and came across two very interesting observations, the biggest being with the tome. The large letters themselves I now think do not relate to any kind of cipher, but can be substituted for button inputs.

The method? The 5 symbols on the book are DEFAULT VIEWING POSITIONS of the writing cube. When you view the writing cube you will find that these 5 symbols follow the faces of the cube without rotation. Additionally, the code switches between faces of the cube, as it one were 'rotating' it. Eg. P to A means rotating the cube to the left.

If you follow the code from left to right in the book, while rotating the cube, you get:

P > A > E < A > E > B ^ U v B

Which could as a result work out in code like this:

RT RT LT RT RT UP DOWN

Reversed to read right to left, it would then read:

B ^ U v B < E < A > E < A < P

UP DOWN LT LT RT LT LT

There could be discrepancies in for example, whether LT is RT and vice-versa and whether the top and bottom of the cube are also used for directional input, but I think this makes the most sense.

This code unlike the pages themselves, cant be rearranged as it follows movements in between letters, rather than it being a pure substitute (so no Circle of Fifths rearrangement is likely to work). I have a feeling that this kind of rotation observation is what the Skull and Counting Cube will also have, although I haven't seen any puzzle with a code that fits this currently.

Another thing to note with this - the only other place that features the loop symbol apart from the doors and the boiler room is the large statue. As a result I have a feeling the Tome and Statue are connected, like the doors are connected to each other across the world. I haven't tried this code at the statue as I screwed up myself with interpreting the writing cube and tome code when I tried until I started typing this up, but I think this is the key.

Second observation is in the FEZ Long Trailer (more dirt digging, I r ashamed D:), where I found a room that I am pretty sure hasn't been found before. It has a pyramid shape (6 segments below, 8 above), is the only room currently to have such a structure, and it has a treasure chest!

http://crocadillian.tumblr.com/post/26497763864/taken-from-the-fez-long-trailer-unless-im-just

Not really helpful, as there's no direct clue as to where this could be (rooms of this theme never have a specific level region associated to them), but interesting nonetheless.

Also, another quick observation. Maybe the 4 concentric ring floor marking is missing because it is the warp gate? (When the warp gate starts to turn on, it has 4 rings inside it that spin).

I think the focus on ciphers and technical and more, 'geeky' deconstruction of puzzles is misplaced. All the puzzles have been purely visual, with some logic attached to that, and I think that with the many visual clues and mysteries still left that we have to view them in a more relative manner. I don't think Phil is the kind of guy to geek out on complex mathematics and ciphers, and it doesn't suit the nature of the game at all. Lets stick to practical manipulation of the information we have :D

Crocadillian
8 years ago#2
Tried the codes at the Statue in various places, no luck. Might work somewhere else though?

User Info: MenuWars

MenuWars
8 years ago#3
My only idea would be to start experimenting with the broken warp gates, the ones that contain black holes in them, I remember seeing two of them, one in the future city and one somewhere else entirely. Wish I could remember where, but seeing as these were main transportation gates a code that could perhaps rearrange them into a working fashion may exist.

I've heard theories that travelling back in time might be possible, though speculation, a warp gate would be my best guess at achieving this. Food for thought perhaps.

Nice work on the pictures also.
A Troll is a Troll, unless it's an ugly Giant.
~Troll Cannibalism 101~

User Info: qbicfeet

qbicfeet
8 years ago#4
You're amazing.

I'm fairly sure I've seen the pyramid + treasure chest room before though, but I can't say exactly where.
PSN / GT / Steam - qbicfeet
Reality is perception. Perception is subjective.

Crocadillian
8 years ago#5
MenuWars posted...
My only idea would be to start experimenting with the broken warp gates, the ones that contain black holes in them, I remember seeing two of them, one in the future city and one somewhere else entirely. Wish I could remember where, but seeing as these were main transportation gates a code that could perhaps rearrange them into a working fashion may exist.

I've heard theories that travelling back in time might be possible, though speculation, a warp gate would be my best guess at achieving this. Food for thought perhaps.

Nice work on the pictures also.

Theres another star gate/warp gate somewhere?

MenuWars posted...
You're amazing.

I'm fairly sure I've seen the pyramid + treasure chest room before though, but I can't say exactly where.

Thanks, and I just found it when playing the game again. Its on the longest linear passage in the Ocean Area.

I've tried both forms of the code in various different places, including:
- Some of the floor rings
- Library Entrance (with the pictures)
- The Crypt Interior
- The Monolith Room

Doesn't work on anything so far, but I could have gotten the code wrong due some misrepresentation of the symbols, and whether it is right of wrong, there's no clear place to use it at the moment apart from the link to the statue...

-___-

User Info: MenuWars

MenuWars
8 years ago#6
1. You somehow misquoted me lol.

2. Yes there are broken warp gates, in the centre is just the black hole glitch things. But from the look of them they're definitely gates of some kind. One room is even 2D only as I remember. Worth looking at, next time I'm on it I'll try to find both of them and let you know for definite where they are, it might be nothing though.
A Troll is a Troll, unless it's an ugly Giant.
~Troll Cannibalism 101~

User Info: nerdmurderer

nerdmurderer
8 years ago#7
if you look very closely on a couple of the trees in the game, you can actually find the 4 ring concentric square texture on them. most notable is the tree that gets engulfed by the black hole over the 64 cube door, as the rings are visibly overlaying the black hole. i don't remember where the other tree was, but i'm sure someone has found these already, right?

Crocadillian
8 years ago#8
nerdmurderer posted...
if you look very closely on a couple of the trees in the game, you can actually find the 4 ring concentric square texture on them. most notable is the tree that gets engulfed by the black hole over the 64 cube door, as the rings are visibly overlaying the black hole. i don't remember where the other tree was, but iIm sure someone has found these already, right?

Yeah, there's a lot of ring patterns found throughout the game. It has been brought up before but others said that it was likely to be coincidental, rather than something significant, and I would agree with that, until there's evidence suggesting otherwise.

Sorry about that MenuWars, I wanted to quote the other guy and copied his text into a framework for the quote text frame, but I forgot to replace your name with his X). I know about the one in the ancient city, which is the one Gomez evidently used, but I haven't seen any other broken Star Gates, or warp gates for that matter, I'm curious :3.

User Info: TheDolphin

TheDolphin
8 years ago#9
The monolith code is 7 input long instead of 8. Someone already threw in the idea of it being a discrete derivative.

You actually got a 7 input code that is in the XXYXXYX format, as the monolith code (down down LT RT RT A Up) is.

I think it's worth digging. I couldn't find anything worthwhile though.

User Info: Fractal_Dreams

Fractal_Dreams
8 years ago#10
So, out of interest; what do people feel the concentric rings on the floor represent. I am loathe to call them concentric rings as it kind of pre defines them to bieng something they may not be.
I mean, are they circles shown as squares due to the art style? or could they be squares that we have yet to understand their value.
Concentric squares, just doesnt have the same ring to it :)
No One can win this war, this is the way, this is the law.
  1. Boards
  2. Fez
  3. 'Big' Tome Find + Hidden Room? *MOAR SPOILERS*
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A