• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fez
  3. Information Architecture (Possible Spoilers)

User Info: Fractal_Dreams

Fractal_Dreams
8 years ago#1
Hello folks
First post here, I joined this board as it was the most active and still is with regards to FEZ. This post might or might not contain spoilers, truth is I dont know. I had hoped to ask a series of questions with regards the information system in FEZ, things I felt were unresolved or possibly misunderstood. Then perhaps work through those questions as a community.
In actuallity I realised that these questions had not been asked or focused on because people might not have realised they were there to be asked.
I thought it best to put up a couple of drawings and see what happens. These drawings are just notes/ questions. I hope you might be able to help me work through them.
Thanks for your time.

[IMG]http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/BadA_Bing_Boom/ZEF/Tesla-1.jpg[/IMG]

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/BadA_Bing_Boom/ZEF/Tesla-1.jpg
I like Pyramids

User Info: Crocadillian

Crocadillian
8 years ago#2
Damn, really nice notes. There's nothing I can see that links in with the game, but im not a mathematical/logical/patient person XD. That symbol with the 3 dots has been bothering me though...

Fractal_Dreams
8 years ago#3
Thanks for the reply Croc. Hope you dont mind me calling you Croc :)
Having had a chance to look a little more deeply into things, I can say this is related to the game and possibly closer to an understanding of the monolith solution.
I had hoped to engage the community by getting them to ask the same questions I had asked. Then we would all be on the same page. I will update this thread in a few days or so.
Thanks for taking the time to reply Croc.
I like Pyramids

Crocadillian
8 years ago#4
No problem. Someone about a month ago didn't explain himself, but posted a bunch of decompiled game code and an image called 'Crypt', which featured an additional QR code on a large stone. This is a probably a hoax, but it's something that might link to this room, especially as it is technically a crypt - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/961239-fez/62633889

Ill look at this and other clues when I have time and see what I can make of it.

Fractal_Dreams
8 years ago#5
Crocadillian posted...
No problem. Someone about a month ago didn't explain himself, but posted a bunch of decompiled game code and an image called 'Crypt', which featured an additional QR code on a large stone. This is a probably a hoax, but it's something that might link to this room, especially as it is technically a crypt - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/961239-fez/62633889

Ill look at this and other clues when I have time and see what I can make of it.

Thats an interesting thread you linked to. What grabbed my attention was that the QR code looked as though it was embossed into the stone. The room shape did not follow any of the other rooms I have seen in FEZ, but I felt there was something to the post.

Today I was browsing the "Indie Game the Movie" website and noticed an asset used on the frontpage. It certainley made me think there could genuinly be something left to FEZ that might have been overlooked.

http://files.indiegamethemovie.com/assets/stills/IGTMStill_30.jpg
I like Pyramids

User Info: TheDolphin

TheDolphin
8 years ago#6
What's the drawing in the original post? Where does it come from?

Crocadillian
8 years ago#7
TheDolphin posted...

Fractal_Dreams (the topic creator) drew it to explore possibilities of the Crypt (the place with several doors that leads on to the Skull artifact).

Fractal_Dreams
8 years ago#8
TheDolphin posted...

Thanks for your interest Dolphin
I thought I would share some of my thoughts and lack of progress here, in the hope it would encourage others to have another look at this game with fresh eyes. I thought the best way to do that was with a drawing that might get people to the same place I was, without a lengthy explanation; language has its limitations. Hopefully this will go some way to explain the drawing I made in the first post.

Here is what I did with the Crypt Cube.
I took each of the doors and gave them a value of 0 or 1 depending on whether they were open or bricked up. The reason I did this was the line from the Tome that says "The 64bit name of God"
A bit is a binary unit, made up of either On or Off shown by the value of 1 or 0. Why use the cube you may ask?
Well the cube is constructed of 4 rows of 4 possible doorways on each row or level. That is 4 x 4, which is equal to 16. There are 4 faces consisting of 16 possible doors (values) each, combined they come to a value of 64.
In numbers quickly. 4 x 4 x 4 = 64. This is sometimes called a cubed number, as it is the number itself times 3. This does remind me of the achievement “A Cube for counting” I also think of the achievement “CRYPTographer”. Interestingly 64 is also a square number composed of an 8 x 8 square. This is the same square that is used on chess boards. Anywho the results of this are shown in the pic below.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/BadA_Bing_Boom/ZEF/CUBECryptBinValues.png

Looks promising? Well kinda. I took the binary values by going across each row of four doors to get a total for the row. Then I added up the four values obtained from the four rows to get a 16bit total. This 16bit total is equal to one face of the cube.
Say the total for the first face of the cube came to 43, I then looked up the value and got the corresponding ASCii letter by using a table. The ASCii table can be viewed at the link posted directly below.

http://www.asciitable.com/

So for each of the four faces I obtained a single value by going across the doorways. These values when looked up on an ASCii table became.

. _ + *

I was quite pumped, as each of these correlates to a dimension. . is 1, _ is 2, + is 3 and * is 4. As you can see from the first link I posted these dimensions were not in the order of the treasure maps we used to go through the cube. My first thought was to go back to the cube and enter the doors on the maps but use the order of dimensions instead of the numbers printed on them. That would mean going through the doors marked on the maps, using the maps in the order of 4,2,3,1. Sounds good?
This approach did not work :). It was a good place to start though.
I like Pyramids

Fractal_Dreams
8 years ago#9
Next I decided to work down the rows instead of across the rows to see what the values for those 4 bits were. To my surprise the first two faces when totalled down the rows had the same value as when I had worked out the value by going across the rows. This to me showed an act of intent from the designer, or a huge coincidence. I felt I was onto something; however the third and fourth faces had different values as can be seen in the first link I posted.
These values translated to + again and the number 5. + was next to the 4th dimension sign and 5 was next to the 1st dimension sign. This had me thinking of a Teseract, starting at a point or a meeting of vertices and folding itself through the dimensions back to the original point like structure, when viewed from a certain position.
I felt that the newly discovered ASCii figures were suggesting that when I got to the fourth dimension I need to add one more, hence the + sign next to the fourth dimension sign. This would then explain the number 5 next to the 1st dimension sign, as this would be the point I would be at if I had gone through the first to fourth dimensions and ended up at the beginning again.
So, this time around I tried the same doors in the same order with the addition of going through the first door again after having been through the four marked on the maps in the order of 4,3,2,1 +4.
Needless to say this did not work out. However I did not really expect things to be that simple. I have a few other ideas to work through for the moment which will give me different values and help me turn things around a little in my mind. I will update this post as and when I get the time to try things out in game.
I will leave one last thing that might interest you.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/BadA_Bing_Boom/ZEF/Dot2Dots.jpg

Not all the letters are embossed.

I would be interested in hearing input on this possible conundrum from anyone. It might be nothing after all, but I feel there is nothing to lose by exploring ideas and everything to gain.
I like Pyramids

User Info: TheDolphin

TheDolphin
8 years ago#10
I do agree there's nothing to lose in exploring all possibilities, especially for a game like Myst or Fez. Your explanations are also well constructed and well explained, which is all to your credits.

However, in my humble opinion, I think your theories are needlessly convoluted for the simple puzzles of the game. I mean, the worst puzzles of the game was a simple binary to ascii translation, a tough riddle and a 3-dimensional reorganization of the tome pages. And the hardest puzzle out of the game for now is pictures hidden in sound waves... all of those are pretty common into alternate reality games right now, and none of the puzzles use convoluted interpretation of in game data.

Most importantly, ALL solved puzzles, even the hard ones, give indications or hints about what you need to do to decrypt them.

Normally, there's a single transformation/interpretation to do with the in-game data we're given, while you go through a LOT (!!) of data transformation/interpretation levels, all of them a shot in the dark based on nothing in particular: Three numerology transformation to interpret a random door pattern, ASCII translation, and random reinterpretation of those into numbers.

And most important of all: for what? For a single, 4 number permutation(!) There's only 24 of those if you'd want to brute force it, which would take like 30 minutes in game to test them all. Just typing your post took probably more than that, and I don't want to guess about the time where you've been thinking about it. Why think about all this when in the end, it's less efficient than brute force??

You have great ideas and you must keep, nurture and share them, but you need to focus them on important, coherent and useful goals.
  1. Boards
  2. Fez
  3. Information Architecture (Possible Spoilers)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A