• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fez
  3. Black Monolith Explanation

User Info: DRayX

DRayX
8 years ago#1
Did anybody ever figure out how you are supposed to find the code for the black monolith? It is really unsatisfying to have the code only through brute force.

User Info: TheDolphin

TheDolphin
8 years ago#2
If it's that unsatisfying, why don't you try to help us understand it?

DRayX
8 years ago#3
I have been, not much progress yet. My one thought is that unlike every other code which is 8 characters, this one is seven which leads me to believe that it may somehow be encoded as a discrete derivative of something else (such as something in the tome). No progress on that front though.

TheDolphin
8 years ago#4
Interesting hypothesis.

I've been playing randomly through the game with the stereoscopy mode trying to find hidden things (after all, there were things only available only with the first person mode), but except red/blue afterimage burn-ins in my eyes, I haven't found anything yet.

And the ARG pictures in the soundtrack leave me stumped. I lost 2 whole days on them while I was at a physics seminar, couldn't get that enigma out of my head.

Seeing as the monolith was described as "almost impossible" by the creators, who thought the metatron riddle was fine. But then, almost impossible is still possible.

I also refuse to believe it was supposed to be brute forced. The only reason it was brute forced was because the community had received hints from a friend of the creators that was told the answer and that partially leaked it to get people to help him understand the code. If the truly was intended to be brute forced, then it wouldn't have been 7 inputs but 8.

It saddens me that the whole Fez internet community seems dead about that specific puzzle (compared to the brute force time). And I can't help but thinking that the creators live in the same city as I do...

User Info: Gossip91

Gossip91
8 years ago#5
I've just finished the game and have been scouring the internet for player's explanations for the Black Monolith code.

Here are some mysteries in the game which I haven't seen any answers for. I assume that players on the forums discussing Fez have already discounted these as potential solutions?

- The long numeric sequence written in the classroom (looks like a sentence)
- The squares which are visible in 1st person mode on some bits of grass in the world (some people have suggested they are connected to the haikus in the tome?)
- The seemingly random numbers written on signs and walls which are found throughout the world
- In some places are squares with tetris shapes inside, which look like they could represent the hexahedron, or could they contain clues to the code?

Some more thoughts:

- Has anyone derived any meaningful clues from the soundtrack (aside from the images)?
- Have people tried to look for solutions connected to 2001 Space Odysse?
- It could be that the symbol on the other position for 2nd code entry in the room refers to one of the base numbers, rather than an ON symbol, perhaps that would be a clue
- Is the 2nd code in any way related to the first code? If so then there may be a clue to that somewhere in the game.
- Does the room look any different in Stereoscopic mode? It would make sense that a solution could be found in this mode as it's New Game ++
- Can a code be derived from the holy object (concentric squares) or the hexahedron in any way?
- It seems significant that part of the map is burned off. Could there be a connection with fire or that event in a meta way?

DRayX
8 years ago#6
Here are my thoughts on a few of these
- The long numeric sequence written in the classroom (looks like a sentence)
- I think this is to help you figure out the numbers or something.

- The squares which are visible in 1st person mode on some bits of grass in the world
- I haven't seen these. Do you have an example of where I may find one?

- The seemingly random numbers written on signs and walls which are found throughout the world
- Most of these are not random. I think they are like district numbers and such.

- In some places are squares with tetris shapes inside, which look like they could represent the hexahedron, or could they contain clues to the code?
- I was always curious about the functionality of these as well.

- Has anyone derived any meaningful clues from the soundtrack (aside from the images)?
- A lot of people have scoured the soundtrack, and I don't think anybody has found anything yet.

- Have people tried to look for solutions connected to 2001 Space Odysse?
- A lot of people were looking into this before the brute force attempt as well.

- It could be that the symbol on the other position for 2nd code entry in the room refers to one of the base numbers, rather than an ON symbol, perhaps that would be a clue
- I think most people believe this to be a 1

- Is the 2nd code in any way related to the first code? If so then there may be a clue to that somewhere in the game.
- That is what I originally thought, but have yet to find any relation

- Does the room look any different in Stereoscopic mode? It would make sense that a solution could be found in this mode as it's New Game ++
- The room looks no different in stereoscopic mode, and neither does the monolith.

- Can a code be derived from the holy object (concentric squares) or the hexahedron in any way?
- I spent some time trying to map the sequence to a discrete difference of the enumeration of various canonical numberings of the corners of a cube and found nothing. I also tried to map the 7 button sequence to the platonic solids represented by the 13 circles of the metatron cube and found nothing. For both of these, that doesn't mean there isn't something there, just that I couldn't find it.

- It seems significant that part of the map is burned off. Could there be a connection with fire or that event in a meta way?
- I absolutely agree that the burned map is significant. I believe that the implication was that the second sequence would have been on the burned half of the map, but somebody destroyed it to hide away the secret of the monolith. However, the monolith doesn't seem to contain anything all that unique, and nothing interesting happens when you find all 3 heart cubes (that anybody has found).

Personally, I think there is more to the 3 heart cubes than has been found , and we have missed it because nobody has determined how you are supposed to figure out how to open the monolith.

DRayX
8 years ago#7
One last thought, the first patch is coming out imminently. I think it is possible that they intended the monolith to be unsolvable until the first patch came out when something minor would change giving away the key to the black monolith. For instance, wouldn't it be funny if the half of the map that was burned suddenly switched or something. IDK, this is probably unlikely, but possible.

TheDolphin
8 years ago#8
The patch is mostly to correct the 33 anti-cubes glitch (and other glitches people found since the game release).

I tried to understand the random numbers in the classroom (which seems like the only true random things there is in the game), with no success. Why write numbers like they are letters?? I doubt it would be to help decode the language, because I remember it confused the hell out of me when I was trying to decode it.

The hexahedron drawings are an interesting take, too, I admit I didn't though of that.

Because they are different from each other. If it was only to symbolize the hexahedron, why couldn't it always be the same pattern?

Can anybody remember how many hexahedron drawings there is? I think there's 2, but I can't remember where, and if there's a third one.
How about access to the real hexahedron pattern at the start of the game?

User Info: Gibbeynator

Gibbeynator
8 years ago#9
Maybe there was no answer in the game, and the entire point of the puzzle was for the community to come together and brute force the answer. Or maybe, being the black monolith and all, the answer could have been found in '2001'.

Or, you know, it could have been a DLC code. Someone will have to try and force the answer once the patch comes out, see if it unlocks or not.
It is pitch black in here, you are likely to be eaten by a Grue *CHOMP* Well... I warned him...

TheDolphin
8 years ago#10
As I said previously, the only reason it was brute forced was because the community had received hints from a friend of the creators that was told the answer and that partially leaked it to get people to help him understand the code. If it truly was intended to be brute forced, then it wouldn't have been a 7 input code but 8.
  1. Boards
  2. Fez
  3. Black Monolith Explanation
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A