You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Denizen_Of_Dark

Denizen_Of_Dark
8 months ago#11
Snake posted...
It's how to do a Metal Gear spinoff right. Not this Survive crap we get instead.

I agree. Great gameplay, tight controls, flash n flamboyancy, fanservice galore. Formula to a great game. Wish it was more popular.
Official GRAVITY of gamefaqs Dark Souls boards.
I believe I, too, have pooped your pants --- R1 Masher

User Info: Snake316

Snake316
7 months ago#12
I recently picked this game up for $5 wanting to add it to my MGS collection. I made the mistake of doing my first playthrough on hard mode (Beat it though!) lol. I've gone back on normal mode and am having a lot more fun this time around haha
Dilly Dilly! We Got A Trophy In Philly!
It will endure...[It] will survive...

Denizen_Of_Dark
7 months ago#13
Snake316 posted...
I recently picked this game up for $5 wanting to add it to my MGS collection. I made the mistake of doing my first playthrough on hard mode (Beat it though!) lol. I've gone back on normal mode and am having a lot more fun this time around haha

Yea for these games, hard n up is for pros who want a challenge n wanna rly test combo systems.

Normals for ppl who want a decent challenge n a chill time

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
7 months ago#14
Denizen_Of_Dark posted...
Snake316 posted...

Yea for these games, hard n up is for pros who want a challenge n wanna rly test combo systems.

Normals for ppl who want a decent challenge n a chill time

Now I literally S-Ranked every single mission--including DLC ones--on every single difficulty (there are two unlockable difficulties above Hard) and 1st placed every single VR mission--again including DLC--and even I probably wouldn't venture beyond Hard for future playthroughs lol. It's not the hardest game I've ever played but it's not kidding when it names its difficulty modes.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35

User Info: Nadster

Nadster
7 months ago#15
I once tried a No Upgrade run on Revengeance difficulty. Since it was the first time I played on that difficulty level, it didn't end well.
"This is a quote."

Denizen_Of_Dark
7 months ago#16
Nadster posted...
I once tried a No Upgrade run on Revengeance difficulty. Since it was the first time I played on that difficulty level, it didn't end well.

s*** i wouldn't try on normal. Onimusha is easy by comparison n i wouldn't do a normal sword run on that lol

User Info: MurphysGhost

MurphysGhost
7 months ago#17
One of my favorite games to fire up every once in a while on my VH / no upgrade file (specifically, I bought all the moves but no weapon / health / energy upgrades) and run Chapter 6 and 7. Or Chapter 1 just for RULES OF NATURE nostalgia. Still remember the first time I played this game and having a stupid grin plastered across my face for the entire run time.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a particularly god-like player I just spent a lot of time replaying the game. Once you're used to all the mechanics and you start ruthlessly exploiting them the difficulty in this game isn't too extreme compared to a lot of hack n slashers like DMC or Ninja Gaiden or god forbid the God Hard mode in Vanquish, which is a shooter but has the soul of a hack n slash game, really.

MGR really just focused more on being fun, looking badass and having interesting mechanics. That said, if you want to take down Revengeance mode Armstrong with just your fists like Raeng over here... yeah that's pretty ****ing hard lol.

I'm not sure that the way they handled the soundtrack for this one will ever be topped - how much it matched and enhanced the tone of the game and the boss fights, how the lyrics were all directly tapped in to the themes of the game and its characters, how much pure adrenaline it injected into the proceedings. I'm trying to think of an audio cue in ANY game as iconic as that 'Rules of Nature' chorus drop as Raiden slices RAY's arm off and I'm really not coming up with anything.

MGR is a rough diamond that laid the foundation for what could have been a really special new action series. Plenty of room for improvement but the core mechanics and ideas were unique and extremely fun. It's a crying shame it won't ever come to pass but I'll keep coming back to this one probably forever.

Great to see people are still enjoying it - I can't believe it's been six years already!

Edit: And one last thing - just for fun I've been poking around some old MGR reviews recently and a whole bunch of them mention how 'bad' or 'ridiculous' the final boss sequence is. Always funny to see how wrong first impressions and professional critiques can get these things in retrospect. You know, like how John Carpenter's The Thing was utterly reviled by film critics but is now considered a bread and butter sci fi horror classic.

Currently waiting for RE2 remake to drop... I think it's gonna be a good one!
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
(edited 7 months ago)

Denizen_Of_Dark
7 months ago#18
MurphysGhost posted...
One of my favorite games to fire up every once in a while on my VH / no upgrade file (specifically, I bought all the moves but no weapon / health / energy upgrades) and run Chapter 6 and 7. Or Chapter 1 just for RULES OF NATURE nostalgia. Still remember the first time I played this game and having a stupid grin plastered across my face for the entire run time.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a particularly god-like player I just spent a lot of time replaying the game. Once you're used to all the mechanics and you start ruthlessly exploiting them the difficulty in this game isn't too extreme compared to a lot of hack n slashers like DMC or Ninja Gaiden or god forbid the God Hard mode in Vanquish, which is a shooter but has the soul of a hack n slash game, really.

MGR really just focused more on being fun, looking badass and having interesting mechanics. That said, if you want to take down Revengeance mode Armstrong with just your fists like Raeng over here... yeah that's pretty ****ing hard lol.

I'm not sure that the way they handled the soundtrack for this one will ever be topped - how much it matched and enhanced the tone of the game and the boss fights, how the lyrics were all directly tapped in to the themes of the game and its characters, how much pure adrenaline it injected into the proceedings. I'm trying to think of an audio cue in ANY game as iconic as that 'Rules of Nature' chorus drop as Raiden slices RAY's arm off and I'm really not coming up with anything.

MGR is a rough diamond that laid the foundation for what could have been a really special new action series. Plenty of room for improvement but the core mechanics and ideas were unique and extremely fun. It's a crying shame it won't ever come to pass but I'll keep coming back to this one probably forever.

Great to see people are still enjoying it - I can't believe it's been six years already!

Edit: And one last thing - just for fun I've been poking around some old MGR reviews recently and a whole bunch of them mention how 'bad' or 'ridiculous' the final boss sequence is. Always funny to see how wrong first impressions and professional critiques can get these things in retrospect. You know, like how John Carpenter's The Thing was utterly reviled by film critics but is now considered a bread and butter sci fi horror classic.

Currently waiting for RE2 remake to drop... I think it's gonna be a good one!

Well said, here here

User Info: SheenavsKilley

SheenavsKilley
7 months ago#19
VH no upgrade I couldn't get past the 2 GRADs. But I also haven't fully practiced it. Got distracted by something or too lazy at the time.

That fight is kinda brutal.

User Info: Nadster

Nadster
7 months ago#20
So favorite sub weapon?
"This is a quote."