• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  3. The many faults of Skyward Sword

User Info: Paper_Mario_4

Paper_Mario_4
1 year ago#1
Where to begin with this long list? (Deep breath...............)

It's been a while since playing, so I wont even go in any sequential and organized manner, this is simply rapid fire issues I had with the game, being a huge fan of the series I was severely disappointed with the game...

First, the overworld is trash. Just a bland open sky, not much going on. It's basically a grape nuts zero flavor version of Super Mario Galaxy where you go from place to place. But in SMG, it was graceful and fun. In SS you just hop on your forgettable doofus bird and go from bland island to island. I can hardly remember anything about the damn spots in the game. I can't even remember the damn name of the sky if there even was one. I recall a cozy spot where a business owner lived in a giant pumpkin, I remember Peatrice's father was some funny dork that lived there, the owner and his singing daughter. I recall catching bugs for Fledge or somebody on an island. The rest is a blur bc they truly were terribly designed and utterly forgettable

Second, let's talk about Zelda's dad, the principle of the Skywing Academy or whatever. He wants you to save Zelda understandable. What else does he do besides gather a small bit of knowledge from books to help her out? NOTHING. He even seems indifferent for most of the game based of the text iirc. The guy can actually be seen, taking a bath, while Link is risking his life on this grand adventure to save her...Really now??? That's what is shown for this guy? Just some bum professor of a dad sitting still in a hot tub......Come on now...at least have him contemplating ways to help his abducted daughter via thought bubbles, SOMETHING. He's literally just there, in a hot tub. What was the point of such a dumb moment? There was none lol. The worst part of all this is that he looked like Kaepora Gaebora yet didn't have the same mannerisms at all. What was the point of giving such a nod to an oldschool game if the character himself is a disappointment?

-The Gorons (there were only like four in the entire game....) were just shoehorned in

-Kikwis were cowards except for their leader and maybe one other at the top of the tree

-The fish race were forgettable as well, forget their name. The feeble seahorse looking chumps

-NPCs were mediocre at best. AT BEST. We had about three or four that were worth talking about. Impa was cool, Groose was entertaining, Link is Link, and that's it

-Fi is an abomination and a disgrace to the series. She is the master sword's personality? The entire robot trying to have feelings bs? Why did you put us through this Hidemaro Fujibayashi? She even sings and dances like a buffoon. Curse the moments that I had to endure her cringeworthy singing and dancing. Curse them to hell, honestly, I was embarrassed and ashamed to see that. I felt like a straight up loser having to watch that. It's honestly how I felt, embarrassed as all hell. When she finally died or whatever, was sealed, I was so extremely relieved and happy she was gone

-
Paper Mario (N64) is a masterpiece.

Paper_Mario_4
1 year ago#2
-Ghirahim fight is the same thing three times in a row. The first fight is alright, the rest are just filler. His design is pretty stupid looking if you ask me. Weak even. Nothing like a sorcerer. Merely a cross dressing psycho. Fitting for the weak ending he had in store for himself. Merely a tool for his master. That's all Ghirahim was, a tool

-Main boss, Demise looks exactly like Akuma from Street Fighter. Stolen image. He had mercy on Link and allowed him to prepare. I did like the fact that he felt e was about to dominate existence for all time once the fight was over with though, which made him give Link that time to prepare in the first place. But still, that incarnation was more Ganon than Ganondorf. There should have been no mercy

-Some of the levels weren't even enough to pass as a mini-dungeon in Ocarina of Time. Lazy as hell dungeons. Maybe two or three were good enough to be a 7.5/10

-Bosses were completely disappointing. A flaming, walking, bouleder named Scaldera? Who's the joker who came up with such a lame idea for a dungeon boss? Yeah let's ignite a boulder and give it life. Let's also make it look like a complete moron, sound good team? Who signed off on this game? Should have been scrapped. Three to four Ghirahim battles, none of them enticing or great. Ffs, why..

Paper_Mario_4
1 year ago#3
-Forest portion of 'overworld' = terrible

-Mogma's were cool. But the Eldin area they resided in wasn't much. The scramble to get all your stolen items was somewhat fun, the rest is mostly a blur because the game sucks

All in all, this game is hardly even worth mentioning as a Zelda game. I lent it to a friend. My friend could really say this to me: Paper_Mario_4, I broke Skyward Sword in half and then again for good measure. I sledgehammered the calibrator and the wii mote you lent me to play the game with as well. I would look him dead in the eye and tell him to put her there, my hand extended for a firm handshake. I'd be the first to tell him his taste is accurate and I'm sincerely proud of him. Id even offer to pay for his meal as we discuss the series and take turns discussing the many shortcomings of SS

Paper_Mario_4
1 year ago#4
@TheAntiZealot

Paper_Mario_4
1 year ago#5
The entire game felt like a project that was destined to receive a 61/100 from a teacher, but then overnight it was worked on like a Chinese fire drill and just barely passes with a 69/100. You need 70/100 to pass but the teacher is lenient just bc

User Info: SS4kronos33

SS4kronos33
1 year ago#6
then there is the biggest one of all.....

people always b****ing and complaining about something they dont like because nintendo tried something different. i personally didnt care for the motion controls but then again many others didnt either. nintendo could have given the option on whether or not to use them i think

children these days cant play a game without ripping it apart in some ways. its not a bad game, certainly not in the top 5 but is still a good game
You know...one man can make a difference and With great power comes great responsiblity....WHY??? BECAUSE STAN LEE said so--R.I.P Stan the man Lee--1922-2018

Paper_Mario_4
1 year ago#7
It’s hardly a Zelda game. You go to a prestigious restaurant, you expect very high quality food right?

You play a Zelda game, you expect a very rich experience. With Skyward Sword, it has just enough to qualify as a Zelda game, but it barely gets a pass man. I’m being serious, the game was very poorly made when you look back at it with a clear mind. I’ve seen it for what it is as I was playing through it, and I still recognize SS to be a very poorly directed game. It’s produced well enough, but the game itself has very poor direction let’s get that much clear

@SS4kronos33

Paper_Mario_4
1 year ago#8
@SS4kronos33

I can’t really find so much to praise in this game. Can you, is what I’m personally asking...

What can you highly praise in this game? It’s your opinion, please take the stage. What was excellent, superb, or even outstanding in Skyward Sword to you?

User Info: TheAntiZealot

TheAntiZealot
1 year ago#9
I can't really disagree with any of your points.

Paper_Mario_4 posted...
What can you highly praise in this game? It’s your opinion, please take the stage. What was excellent, superb, or even outstanding in Skyward Sword to you?

For mex SS was the only motion control game with a sword that I owned. I also had MadWorld, which was a blast to play. MadWorld had a hilarious story that was simplistic and yet I could go through it repeatedly just for the combat.

And that's my thing. I play games for combat. I don't play them for story or for puzzles or for music or for ambience. I don't play games for cinematography, voice acting, mood, presentation, artistry, nor graphics. I play for one reason and one reason alone: combat.

Actually, let me amend that: I play for combat and traversal.

That's it.

Now, while traversal was a bit shallow in SS. I did enjoy it. And I only understood bird flight on my second playthrough.

This is also why I love Spider-Man 2 and the latest Marvel's Spider-Man for the PS4. The older game has the best traversal and the current title has the best blend of traversal and combat (though neither are ideal).

When I think of Zelda, I think of sword and shield combat with a bow and arrow. And I get very excited. Few games execute this so well. Despite them being such common tools for games.

When I think of Skyward Sword, I think of my slow, gradual ascent into powerful swordsmanship.

I went from inept to passable at the start of my first playthrough on normal... to rapidly firing swordbeams that penetrated the directional blocking of foes midway through my second playthrough on hero mode.

Upgrading equipment was also a great addition, for me.

My personal gripes are the tooltips for bugs and rupees resetting by quitting the game. And Fi. Just Fi, in general.

Also, Ghirahim is basically Demise's Fi. That's why he's such a nutcase. He's not human.

Notice that they both have diamond themes.

It took me a while to realize that.
TAZ
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." -Xtreme65

Paper_Mario_4
1 year ago#10
@TheAntiZealot

Interesting take, and Spider-Man 2 was really amazing. What was your opinion on the fight with Mysterio / Quentin Beck in that game? I thought it was outstanding in its execution. I watched my bro play it, I never actually played the game for any longer than a minute or so. But Spider-Man is my favorite film of all time (2002, Toby Maguire Spider-Man) and the game seemed to be really well done

From your perspective on SS, I can see some of where it might be tolerable and can now appreciate it a slight bit more, but for your sake, I wish they could have expounded on the overall enjoyment and quality of the product. It's so rare to have a badass game where combat and all other elements come together seamlessly and blend into something so tasteful and exceptional that it garners universal acclaim. That's the pinnacle. That's what I want and expect for all TLOZ games. To me, they're more than just video games but a piece of artwork at their best. That's why I was so disappointed to see the lack of vision SS had on almost all fronts imaginable
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  3. The many faults of Skyward Sword
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A