You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  3. Psa: The motion controls work fine.

User Info: Mikk

Mikk
3 months ago#21
legaiaflame2 posted...
What makes Zelda, Zelda are the dungeons/puzzles.

hahaha

It's ALWAYS been about the overworld adventure and dungeon exploration+combat.

Zelda 1: massive overworld to explore
Zelda 2: massive overworld + many towns
Link to the Past: massive overworld + many houses/NPCs
Link's Awakening: massive overworld + many houses/NPCs
Ocarina of Time: interconnected, unified 3D world + towns
Majora's Mask: interconnected, unified 3D world + towns
Wind Waker: massive overworld to explore + towns
Twilight Princess: massive overworld to explore + towns

Skyward Sword: hub city with disconnected linear levels.

You must love that trash Triforce Heroes as well.

It's not a matter of opinion. What you are saying is delusional. Zelda overworlds are iconic, integral, and inseparable from Zelda.

Breath of the Wild is 90% overworld exploration/combat, 10% dungeon puzzles. It is now the highest selling Zelda ever. This is the direction they chose after the failure of Skyward Sword.
http://i.imgur.com/PMzaOmq.png

User Info: legaiaflame2

legaiaflame2
3 months ago#22
Mikk posted...
legaiaflame2 posted...

hahaha

It's not a matter of opinion. What you are saying is delusional. Zelda overworlds are iconic, integral, and inseparable from Zelda.

Breath of the Wild is 90% overworld exploration/combat, 10% dungeon puzzles. It is now the highest selling Zelda ever. This is the direction they chose after the failure of Skyward Sword.

Your opinion is not fact. Neither is mine. The main meat of any Zelda is its puzzles/dungeons. The overworld comes in between. SS still had an overworld, it was just segmented and surrounded each dungeon. I don't know how you fail to see that. You could say each dungeon had its own surrounding mini overworld.
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: PappinAce

PappinAce
1 month ago#23
Mikk posted...
legaiaflame2 posted...

hahaha

This. Some things are just factually bad, and SS falls into that category. As a Zelda fan who tries to find the good in all the instalments, I don't say that lightly.

Not to mention, you use the motion controls for other things than the combat, like aiming your bow, controlling the Beetle, selecting dialogue options, swimming...If the motion controls were dedicated to just swordplay, and they were as fluid as they were in Wii Sports Resort, then maybe I'd understand them helping people become immersed.

Indeed. It went from being a potentially interesting feature, when used in moderation, to an obsession. Motion controls: a good servant but a bad master.

SS still had an overworld, it was just segmented and surrounded each dungeon.

You mean those closed-loop platforming "levels" that the developers designed with inspiration from Super Mario? (Sincerely. They admitted it.) Essentially what you said is "The overworld was there. It was just fragmented and sucked."

The main meat of any Zelda is its puzzles/dungeons. The overworld comes in between.

I disagree. The most subtly designed portions of Zelda were the segments where overworld and dungeon blended into one. Snowpeak in TP is one of my favorite examples of this. The slow realization of "oh, it's a dungeon" breaks up that formulaic monotony which so characterized Skyward Sword.

SS was trash with a Zelda label on it. Too much misdirected effort at jamming the motion controls into everything. Live and learn, though. Nintendo knew this game was an artistic flop, and for their next project they took everything that SS did and they did the exact opposite. Good on them for distancing themselves from this garbage.

User Info: wiiking96

wiiking96
1 month ago#24
What if I just don't like waggling my controller around to perform basic actions? I don't even like it in Super Mario Galaxy where it's much more basic most of the time.
The fight for Net Neutrality is still not over!
If you care about the modern state of the internet, then please take action to protect Net Neutrality!

User Info: Beans345

Beans345
1 month ago#25
The motion controls weren't the problem for me. It was the fact that the game tried way too hard to pad out play time without any consideration to what the players would find fun. Take the Silent Realms, for example. While not ridiculously challenging, adding four obligatory collect-the-tears quests in the same four areas you repeatedly visit with only a slightly different ambiance to excuse any lack of variation, otherwise, made this game feel like it was running on borrowed time. It also didn't do itself any favours by adding an underwater collect-these-random-things quest in Faron Woods and a stealth mission in Eldin Volcano, neither of which I think anyone would abide by without complaining, much less enjoy. And then there's Fi, with her constant reminders that you should change your batteries or find some hearts or spend some money.

To be fair, this game has at least a few things going for it. The dungeons, especially the later ones, are really fun and make you feel like you want to continue. And some of the bosses, like Koloktos or Ghirahim were also pretty awesome. So making the claim that the entire game is objectively bad is, (ironically), objectively not true.
Always think about your decisions before you make them, not after.

User Info: PappinAce

PappinAce
1 month ago#26
The motion controls weren't the problem for me. It was the fact that the game tried way too hard to pad out play time without any consideration to what the players would find fun. Take the Silent Realms, for example. While not ridiculously challenging, adding four obligatory collect-the-tears quests in the same four areas you repeatedly visit with only a slightly different ambiance to excuse any lack of variation, otherwise, made this game feel like it was running on borrowed time.

Indeed. This game was transparently and glaringly an unfinished product. It reminds me of Halo 2, where the devs actually admitted that they spent months and months dicking around playing a game with yellow ray guns that they called "golden showers". Then the game comes out and it's absolute garbage, filled with padded, clearly half-finished levels, a horrendous field of vision, and a diminished multiplayer. I imagine the frothing over motion controls was SS's golden shower.

Despite a few interesting boss battles, this game as a whole was an artistic flop.

User Info: Mr_Rudd

Mr_Rudd
2 weeks ago#27
The motion controls are garbage, and this comes from someone who enjoyed them in Mario Galaxy and Wii Sports Resort, and was excited about the announcement that this game would use MotionPlus (before actually playing it). And don't give me this crap about me suck at the game. The flight controls in Mario Galaxy 2 were annoying at first but became fun once I got the handle on them. The controls in SS were still awful by the time I beat the game.

They're far from the game's biggest problem, though.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Faliz18

Faliz18
2 weeks ago#28
PSA: game sucks
World Renowned Savior of the Zelda Series
The Master Chief WILL be in Smash.

User Info: TsundereAmiChan

TsundereAmiChan
2 weeks ago#29
PappinAce posted...
The motion controls weren't the problem for me. It was the fact that the game tried way too hard to pad out play time without any consideration to what the players would find fun. Take the Silent Realms, for example. While not ridiculously challenging, adding four obligatory collect-the-tears quests in the same four areas you repeatedly visit with only a slightly different ambiance to excuse any lack of variation, otherwise, made this game feel like it was running on borrowed time.

Indeed. This game was transparently and glaringly an unfinished product. It reminds me of Halo 2, where the devs actually admitted that they spent months and months dicking around playing a game with yellow ray guns that they called "golden showers". Then the game comes out and it's absolute garbage, filled with padded, clearly half-finished levels, a horrendous field of vision, and a diminished multiplayer. I imagine the frothing over motion controls was SS's golden shower.

Despite a few interesting boss battles, this game as a whole was an artistic flop.

Halo 2 is a fine game. Not sure what you're on - Many consider it the best Halo game. Though I personally think 1 is the best, followed closely behind by 3
Join Sanrio City! https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1426-sanrio-city
If you support Amy or just like Amy in general, join here! https://discord.gg/quQVXN2
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  3. Psa: The motion controls work fine.