You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  3. Why is Link so overrated in this game?

User Info: ScrewZelink

ScrewZelink
5 months ago#1
I've seen some people say that he is the best portrayal of Link in the series but I think he's the worst. He just seems so different from how a Link should be.

One, He's mean (when he stays with Zelda for no reason at the end of the game implied because he's too clingy to her and he's mean to a mogma during the part where you have to get the stolen things back, when the mogma asks if he understands he can either snap at him and say "Okay already" or "..." like dude, be grateful that you are getting help). Most Links aren't cold and rude to people like that and like in TP, Link appears to be riding to Hyrule at the end of the game, he didn't cling to Ilia nor Midna when she left.

Two, he has feelings for Zelda. I have never seen a Link be this crazy in love with somebody. In TP, Link has feelings for Ilia and possibly Midna but due to his stoic personality, he's more reserved about it and doesn't show much affection to them so that was more subtle. In SS, he shows way too much affection to Zelda. Also, I hate Zelink and I hated how Nintendo is changing up the formula to make Link and Zelda have some kind of relationship nowadays, I mean, they're not even similar so why bother? Also, hero and heroine romance is unfitting for Zelda. And why would Link fall in love with a mean girl who's always teasing him and pushing him off cliffs?

Three, too emotional. I prefer a stoic Link to a more emotional, affectionate Link. Maybe if he was Toon Link, that would've been okay because it fits with the cartoony style but SS Link is half TP Link, his abundance of expressions just seems silly.

Four, two anime-like. Childhood friend romance? Come on, that trope is overdone and people need to chill with this trope already.

So I'm just asking, why do people like this Link? He just seems weird and anime as crap and he's usually not that fleshed out because he's supposed to be a silent protagonist. He's also too passive. Why Nintendo wants to flesh him out more anyway?

User Info: legaiaflame2

legaiaflame2
4 months ago#2
I don't agree. I think SS Link was great because he had a lot of expressions and animations to express them. It made him feel more natural and alive (a natural extension to the player).

Now on the other had, I hated Breath of the Wild Link because he lacked these expressions. It made him feel too wooden and numb to the vast world around the player.

Also, why shouldn't SS Link fall in love with Zelda? They grew up together, probably have things in common and it fit the story SS presented. I would say it would feel awkward for lets say Twilight Princess Link because he barely knew Zelda. He fell in love with Midna anyway so it doesn't really matter. As long as it fits the story and doesn't feel forced.
(edited 4 months ago)

ScrewZelink
4 months ago#3
legaiaflame2 posted...
I don't agree. I think SS Link was great because he had a lot of expressions and animations to express them. It made him feel more natural and alive (a natural extension to the player).

Now on the other had, I hated Breath of the Wild Link because he lacked these expressions. It made him feel too wooden and numb to the vast world around the player.

Also, why shouldn't SS Link fall in love with Zelda? They grew up together, probably have things in common and it fit the story SS presented. I would say it would feel awkward for lets say Twilight Princess Link because he barely knew Zelda. He fell in love with Midna anyway so it doesn't really matter. As long as it fits the story and doesn't feel forced.

SS Link shouldn't be lovey-dovey to Zelda Because Link and Zelda are too different and I hate Zelink and romance and Link is not supposed to be that much of a romantic, that's why he shouldn't romance Zelda. TP Link fell in love with Midna but he doesn't do anything with it beyond smiling around her and worrying about her. Not everybody that has grew up with somebody needs to fall in love with that person.

Link is usually portrayed as a stoic avatar character and if they make a more romantic game, then Link would probably end up being his own character because of the emotions one feels when being in love with somebody but there are some people out there that don't openly express their feelings when they're in love with someone.

legaiaflame2
4 months ago#4
ScrewZelink posted...
legaiaflame2 posted...

SS Link shouldn't be lovey-dovey to Zelda Because Link and Zelda are too different and I hate Zelink and romance and Link is not supposed to be that much of a romantic, that's why he shouldn't romance Zelda. TP Link fell in love with Midna but he doesn't do anything with it beyond smiling around her and worrying about her. Not everybody that has grew up with somebody needs to fall in love with that person.

Link is usually portrayed as a stoic avatar character and if they make a more romantic game, then Link would probably end up being his own character because of the emotions one feels when being in love with somebody but there are some people out there that don't openly express their feelings when they're in love with someone.

Yeah, but you're assuming SS Link fell in love with Zelda, when it's not even a fact. For all we knew they could have stayed good friends, after everything was said and done. All it did was allow the player to be more attached to this version of Zelda and actually gave a good reason to be saving her (which is why the intro took so long, they gave them more backstory and character development which is a good thing!). It made me care more about Zelda and want to save her this time.
(edited 4 months ago)

ScrewZelink
4 months ago#5
legaiaflame2 posted...
ScrewZelink posted...
legaiaflame2 posted...

Yeah, but you're assuming SS Link fell in love with Zelda, when it's not even a fact. For all we knew they could have stayed good friends, after everything was said and done. All it did was allow the player to be more attached to this version of Zelda and actually gave a good reason to be saving her (which is why the intro took so long, they gave them more back story and character development which is a good thing!).

There's a song called romance that plays when they're together, which suggests that their friendship is blossoming into romance. Also, friends don't put their faces up each other's faces as if it were to kiss them.

I actually would rather hurt Zelda. I don't even know why they made her such a b****y crybaby in this game anyway. Link has too much personality and he should stay more of a stoic avatar, not a lovey-dovey guy, especially since he's not Toon Link but Toon Link would suck if he was acting lovey dovey too. I mean yeah, I found it absurd how calm BOTW Link was when Zelda and Revali are saying negative things around him but at least it did show the friendships he shared with the characters without them having to go full out SS Link, though I hated his relationship with Zelda because I hate zelink.

legaiaflame2
4 months ago#6
ScrewZelink posted...
legaiaflame2 posted...
ScrewZelink posted...
legaiaflame2 posted...

Yeah, but you're assuming SS Link fell in love with Zelda, when it's not even a fact. For all we knew they could have stayed good friends, after everything was said and done. All it did was allow the player to be more attached to this version of Zelda and actually gave a good reason to be saving her (which is why the intro took so long, they gave them more back story and character development which is a good thing!).

There's a song called romance that plays when they're together, which suggests that their friendship is blossoming into romance. Also, friends don't put their faces up each other's faces as if it were to kiss them.

I actually would rather hurt Zelda. I don't even know why they made her such a b****y crybaby in this game anyway. Link has too much personality and he should stay more of a stoic avatar, not a lovey-dovey guy, especially since he's not Toon Link but Toon Link would suck if he was acting lovey dovey too. I mean yeah, I found it absurd how calm BOTW Link was when Zelda and Revali are saying negative things around him but at least it did show the friendships he shared with the characters without them having to go full out SS Link, though I hated his relationship with Zelda because I hate zelink.

Yeah, but it never goes to a full on relationship. Everything is implied. Link needs to be expressive or he'll just look like a wooden doll that is unresponsive. I don't really like zelink relationship stuff either, but they never go too far, so it's not a big deal. If you don't show some kind of bond you will have no attachment to that character like which is the case with TP Zelda.
(edited 4 months ago)

ScrewZelink
4 months ago#7
legaiaflame2 posted...
ScrewZelink posted...
legaiaflame2 posted...
ScrewZelink posted...
legaiaflame2 posted...

Yeah, but it never goes to a full on relationship. Everything is implied. Link needs to be expressive or he'll just look like a wooden doll that is unresponsive. I don't really like zelink relationship stuff either, but they never go too far, so it's not a big deal. If you don't show some kind of bond you will have no attachment to that character like which is the case with TP Zelda.

Link was originally supposed to be a stoic blank avatar so if they're making a romantic game like SS, then he would probably end up having to have more emotions and personality to him, making him more of his own character, well some people in love can't really express emotion or affection.

Why would TP Link and Zelda need to show a bond? These two are like strangers, people don't show an attachment to someone they just met.

legaiaflame2
4 months ago#8
Exactly, but it's kind of important to have a bond with Zelda in each Legend of Zelda game, because you are saving her in each game. If I have no bond with her I'm not enthused about saving her. Which is the case with TP Zelda. Why should I care she is possessed by Ganondorf at the end of the game. I met her like twice and talked to her for like 5 minutes . I would rather Ganon have kidnapped Midna. Zelda games like Oot, SS and Minish Cap, they actually have a relationship to each other, so I actually care about saving her.
(edited 4 months ago)

ScrewZelink
4 months ago#9
legaiaflame2 posted...
Because in each Legend of Zelda game you are saving Zelda. If I have no bond with her I'm not enthused about saving her. Which is the case with TP Zelda. Why should I care she is possessed by Ganondorf at the end of the game. I met her like twice and talked to her for like 5 minutes . In games like Oot, SS and Minish Cap, they actually have a relationship to each other, so I actually care about saving her.

While I haven't played Minish Cap, I did not like their relationship in OOT, I am so mad at her for sending Link back in time when Ganondorf broke out of his seal because Link and Zelda didn't do anything about it like watch over it because Link was stuck in the Child Timeline forever and her annoying sound when you get hit in the game.

User Info: CarbonButtflap

CarbonButtflap
4 months ago#10
Probably shouldn't be as blatant about your writing styles.
My feelings on the FF7 remake? If Square turns my dystopian D&D Chess game into postapocalyptic dodgeball fantasy advent children Z I will riot.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  3. Why is Link so overrated in this game?