• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles
  3. Unused/Beta Area: Bionis' Left Shoulder?

User Info: Helsionium

Helsionium
7 years ago#1
Minor Spoilers (place and enemy names) ahead.

At the end of the game, there is a cutscene that explains a lot of the game's background story/past events. For a few seconds, an area can be seen that I've never seen before in the game.

The map consists of two plains, stretched over the left shoulder of Bionis, his head can clearly be seen in the distance. A seemingly artifical tunnel and a natural cave connect the two plains. Two destroyed towers are facing Mechonis. It appears as if a colony once stood on the lower plain. There is a lake with two rivers on the upper plain (note the bridge near C in the 4th image).

Intrigued, I was looking through the game's data and surprisingly found that this area is actually (in theory at least) fully explorable, like any of the other areas, but for some reason it appears to be unused in the game (the cutscene I was talking about is pre-rendered, so the area appears to be technically unused).

I also looked through all the other map files and I can safely say that there are no other unused maps, since I could identify all the other map files. This map is placed between the Makna Forest and the Eruyt Sea areas. The maps are otherwise in exactly the same order as they are visited in the game. This map appears to have two exits, both in the direction of Makna Forest/Eruyt Sea (towards Bionis' center)

For illustration purposes, a few screenshots of the model viewer I used - unfortunately it doesn't support rendering the textures, but the basic structure of the map can still be recognized.

View from Bionis' head: http://files.helsionium.eu/xb-map0801-1.png
View from the side: http://files.helsionium.eu/xb-map0801-2.png
View from behind: http://files.helsionium.eu/xb-map0801-3.png
Closeup of the upper plain from A: http://files.helsionium.eu/xb-map0801-4.png
Closeup of the platforms at E: http://files.helsionium.eu/xb-map0801-5.png

A - Watchtower on upper plain
B - Watchtower and Colony Ruins on lower plain
C - Upper plain
D - Colony wall (like at Colony 6)
E - Platforms accessible by bridges from the higher plain

Note that the graphical quality and level of detail of the map is actually the same as the rest of the game, it's just that the programs I used for converting and rendering are somewhat buggy.

The three exits - all caves - are marked in red: One near D, one on the lower plain near E, one on the higher plain near C. The road from B to E is marked in blue.

The map consists of two plains, stretched over the left shoulder of Bionis, his head can clearly be seen in the distance. A seemingly artifical tunnel and a natural cave connect the two plains. Two destroyed towers are facing Mechonis. It appears as if a colony once stood on the lower plain. There is a lake with two rivers on the upper plain (note the bridge near C in the 4th image).

So I want to ask you, is this area used in other cutscenes? Or is there even a way to reach it in normal gameplay or with cheat codes? It just seems a waste of time to construct such a beautiful map (similar to Bionis' Legs and Colony 6).

User Info: Gessenkou

Gessenkou
7 years ago#2
I've been wondering about this too, since I finished the game recently and remembered seeing some posts about the area a while ago. It would have been a better transition between Makuna and Erut(or whatever the hell they're called) than the magic tree portal too :(. Is there any unused enemy data that would have appeared in the area?
Caw

Helsionium
7 years ago#3
Sorry, but objects, which includes enemies, are in a seperate files and are only linked to in the map file's object table, the file format of which I don't understand.

All I know is that there actually are enemies, NPCs, items, and other objects in this map. The object table is comparable in size to the one of Bionis' Legs. However, there appear to be less text and quest data, almost none. Another indication that this is probably only an unfinished map.

Helsionium
7 years ago#4
*** UPDATE ***

I was at last able to enter that stage in-game. And so I could share it with everyone, I decided to upload a video to YouTube.

Have a look at one of the most beautiful maps in the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l86GCaqZuxY

Be sure to select at least 480p for acceptable quality and display the annotations if you want to read some of my comments.

What a waste not using this in the actual game...

User Info: DarkKamonG

DarkKamonG
7 years ago#5
Nice. Did you switch the maps file with another map in the large map archive, or edit one of the smaller files, like the archives header files?

User Info: Shibuto

Shibuto
7 years ago#6
mark spoilers on the video plz
Ps3 is like a bomb, cause of all the game! -Tekken9292

Helsionium
7 years ago#7
@DarkKamonG
Swappig the map files didn't work, or maybe I made an error, so I edited the \dvddata\common\jp\bdat.bin which contains many tables of metadata. Around offset 0x369E0 the map table begins. All I did was switch "ma0801" (which is the beta map) and "ma0901" (which is Hienter Graveyard) at offsets 0x37A55 and 0x37A6F. Can't actually access the map without the Moonjump cheat code, though, since all the warp points are beneath the surface.

@Shibuto
I did, but where are the spoilers?
Maybe in the part from the ending cutscene? I don't speak Japanese, so sorry...
Favourite games of all time: Zelda Majora's Mask, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade, Perfect Dark
Xenoblade beta map: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l86GCaqZuxY

DarkKamonG
7 years ago#8
Ah, I see. I did the same thing with some weapons and characters before, but I never thought to try with map files.

Not sure if I can use the code. I'll try going to a high area and switching the map files; with any luck I can reappear somewhere above the map, though I might end up dying.

User Info: ezeliyn

ezeliyn
7 years ago#9
This is really fantastic stuff. Thanks so much for the video! The treasure chests would suggest to me that it was an area that was abandoned quite far before the end of development rather than right at the last minute due to time constraints, but considering how much work has been put into the area and how amazing it looks, I wonder why they'd suddenly scrap it? Trouble fitting it into the story, perhaps? Or maybe they felt it was just more of the same stuff in the legs, and wanted to keep each area in the game fairly unique?

DarkKamonG
7 years ago#10
Damn. I managed to find an area and warp point that spits me out close enough to the ground that I can land without dying, but when trying to explore the area on my Wii via Riivolution it crashes and resets my Wii a second after I warp into the map.

The map itself is loading fine, but I guess there's a problem with it real Wii's can't ignore.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles
  3. Unused/Beta Area: Bionis' Left Shoulder?
  • Topic Archived