• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles
  3. Can someone explain the battle system to me?

User Info: NovaSaber

NovaSaber
7 years ago#1
I've been interested in this game since it was called Monado, until the first real information started to come out. What I heard about the battle system at the time sounded absolutely terrible.

But then I started to hear everyone saying the game was so great, and now this game stands out in both the number of people who like it and how much they like it.

So I was beginning to think that maybe my first impression was wrong, but then I see some of those very positive reviews mentioning the same things that I thought sound terrible and still can't imagine not being terrible.

So what am I missing? If two of your characters are COMPLETELY uncontrollable (not even a customizable AI), and even the controllable character still does his regular attack automatically, then how much DO you control?
And even if everything else is good, how is the lack of control over battles not a huge negative?

User Info: MidgardDragon99

MidgardDragon99
7 years ago#2
The battle system *soudns* terrible but once you experience it it is the exact opposite. In fact there are a lot of things you control. First and foremost you can play with any party member as your lead character with their own arts and abilities. As for what you control as the main character, your regular attack is on auto, but all Arts you choose specifically from the battle palette, and you also choose the position in relation to the enemy (which effects the usefulness of certain arts). Also if you choose to do a chain attack when the chain meter fills, you get to choose each and every action of your party during the chain.

Also, due to the sword the main character wields, the Monado, your party may at times get visions of the future during battle, particularly when an enemy is going to kill one or more of your party members. During this time your party leader can run around to your other party members and hit the "warn" button in order to briefly take control of them and choose their next action (preferably something like shield or heal, or something to prevent the imminent death).

Finally another system, mainly used in dealing with mechon early on but also useful for just about any other strong mob, is the Break/Topple system. One character inflicts Break, which readies the enemy for Topple, which another character the inflicts, which knocks the enemy over and prevents them from attacking or using any arts for the duration of the effect. You can also add another effect called Daze on top of this to prolong the effect, and if you get the perfect set up (which takes a bit of doing so don't worry that this is going to happen naturally if you don't want it to) you get a pretty much infinite Break/Topple/Daze chain going so the beasties don't touch you.

All-in-all for a system that may sound like it's on auto-pilot you actually control *a lot*. The only real auto-attack is the regular one that you would just be mashing a button for anyway, the party is under AI control but as I've said there are multiple ways in which you can, and often ways in which you must, take control of them.

User Info: labyrinth

labyrinth
7 years ago#3
How much experience do u have with mmorpgs and diablo clones? It's pretty much that (cooldowns, aggro, auto attacks, skills arranged on quickslots) but with JRPG character development and storyline.

Speaking of which, anyone else weave artes into auto attack animations like me? Can't help it, this game makes me switch into mmo mode. ;p
"There is nobody so irritating as somebody with less intelligence and more sense than we have." --Don Herold

MidgardDragon99
7 years ago#4
As for myself I've played both WoW and Diablo, though not extensively, and all I know is Xenoblade's combat engaged me far more than any MMO or Diablo ever did. There's something fundamentally different (and more fun) about the grind in Xenoblade over those games.

labyrinth
7 years ago#5
Yeah. They obviously can't bring in the same amount of grind as an actual mmo or diablo. They kept the gameplay but minimized everything else that's time consuming (out of combat regen, kill quests, pacing).

It's all the fun of MMOs but without the headaches. Which make for a spectacular game.
"There is nobody so irritating as somebody with less intelligence and more sense than we have." --Don Herold

User Info: NovaSaber

NovaSaber
7 years ago#6
Thanks for the answers. I don't like Diablo or MMORPGs, and none of the good things about the game seem to require that kind of faux-MMO battle system, so I'm thinking this game isn't for me.

User Info: nugro

nugro
7 years ago#7
Even MMORPG play differently to each other, just because they're similar doesn't mean they're also as bad.

Try to rent the game if you can, I doubt you'll regret it.

MidgardDragon99
7 years ago#8
In other words you came here with a decision made just so people could waste their time giving you information you weren't going to listen to. Ignored.

labyrinth
7 years ago#9
I can understand though that this type of gameplay isn't for everyone.

User Info: EtroAnime

EtroAnime
7 years ago#10
labyrinth posted...
Yeah. They obviously can't bring in the same amount of grind as an actual mmo or diablo. They kept the gameplay but minimized everything else that's time consuming (out of combat regen, kill quests, pacing).

It's all the fun of MMOs but without the headaches. Which make for a spectacular game.

I not of fan of those games either but I will say give it a try I am at the beginning of the game I can see the potential of it. Choosing the arts and strategizing how to take out an enemy is pretty fun and much more engaging thank you think. I won't tell you to watch videos I think you have to experience on your own.
Waiting for:The Witcher 2 & Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Playing: Xenoblade & Batman AC
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles
  3. Can someone explain the battle system to me?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A