"Unable to read the disk." Error message

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Metroid: Other M
  3. "Unable to read the disk." Error message

User Info: LonLonRancher

LonLonRancher
7 years ago#1
My Wii has never been modified or anything like that.. I bought it at launch and never really had a problem out of it. I put this game in and the error message popped up that said "Un able to read the disk, check the wii operations manual for help troubleshooting" I took the cd out and looked at it.. it was fine.. I bought the game NEW today (obviously) and the CD worked then. It updated my Wii and I could play the game. I turned the game off after an hour and then turned it back on later... the error message came back and now the game won't come on. Anyone else having this problem?

User Info: raver331

raver331
7 years ago#2
Try cleaning the lens. Some wiis have issues reading dual-layered discs.
Old Guitar Hero vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/Legedevin
Not changing this sig until I feel like it. Last Change 10/28/09

User Info: YoyokuKO

YoyokuKO
7 years ago#3
most likely bad lens

User Info: Metarius6

Metarius6
7 years ago#4
Try cleaning the optical lens. Gamestop sells them for 10 bucks.
[In Soviet Russia, the original poster was deleted at the request of this message.]

LonLonRancher
7 years ago#5
Any DVD lens cleaner work? How would I go about cleaning the lens?

User Info: Metarius6

Metarius6
7 years ago#6

Try cleaning the optical lens. Gamestop sells them for 10 bucks.

Meant to say they sell cleaning kits for 10 bucks.

I'm not sure if a DVD lens cleaner would work, never used one on mine.
[In Soviet Russia, the original poster was deleted at the request of this message.]

User Info: RamiaX

RamiaX
7 years ago#7
Had this problem as well, due to the disc being double-layered. Anyhow, I finally got it to work after several repeated sessions of removing it from the wii, cleaning it with my breath and a T-shirt (outward from the center, like spokes on a wheel), and reinserting it.

I would give it a little more patience before you blow your money or go sending your Wii in for 'repairs'.

User Info: Eddychino86

Eddychino86
7 years ago#8
Well, dude I'm having the same problem. I too bought this game today and first thing it said after the update is an unable to read disc message. Soo I took it out and made sure the disc was clean and of coarse it was so i inserted the disc back in the wii and it started working just fine. After about an hour or two of playing the game slows down when I try to walk through a door and it doesnt open like its supposed to and it said now loading at the bottom and the screen goes black and I get the Read disc error message. Now the wii wont read any of my games. I'm going in the morning to get the lens cleaner and praying my wii didnt just break.

User Info: shadowbat223

shadowbat223
7 years ago#9
I had the problem with MPT. Bought a lens cleaner and it worked right away.

LonLonRancher
7 years ago#10
Well, I am glad I'm not the only one with the problem but man - this bites! So they sell those cleaners at game stores? I'll be checking that out soon. I tried the cd over and over again and it finally worked. About to start playing again so.. we will find out. Odd that others had the same problem with this disk. How many other Wii games are duel layered like this? I've never had this problem before.
  1. Boards
  2. Metroid: Other M
  3. "Unable to read the disk." Error message

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived