• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  3. Dead Board but Luigi Question

User Info: Mikokiri

Mikokiri
11 months ago#1
I'm interested in attempting a "Minimal Mario Run" in which I try to collect as little stars as possible with Mario before beating the game.

I think that the Luigi Unlock threshold is 27 Stars and I don't think Luigi shows up on any Grand Star Missions, so that would be the absolute theoretical minimum.
However, are there other missions Luigi has no chance to show up on? Just so I know which stars to avoid, and if any of them need to be done for progression.

Has research been done on this at all? Or do we only have word of mouth to go off of?
School should teach you how to adult instead of how to solve for x.
I got no clue how to adult but I sure as hell can figure out what x is in 7x = 4 + 27 X 8.

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
10 months ago#2
I'm interested in attempting a "Minimal Mario Run" in which I try to collect as little stars as possible with Mario before beating the game.

Why would Luigi matter if you're not needing him for the run?

However, are there other missions Luigi has no chance to show up on? Just so I know which stars to avoid, and if any of them need to be done for progression.

I know that, after 27 to 30 stars, Luigi is available on certain missions...you have to talk to him at the start of those missions to then play as him. I'm pretty sure it's random when he shows up or not so he may not appear at times when you can normally use him. Once you beat the game, he's unlocked to be played all the time and on any mission.

Not sure if he's locked out of anything but the Grand Star Missions are probably correct.

User Info: Mikokiri

Mikokiri
10 months ago#3
I've beaten this game 100% before, I'm aware that Luigi can spawn, but on my first few playthroughs he was very sparing in where he appeared (probably only got him for 4 missions total and thus thought he was locked to certain galaxies for the first time). However, after watching the great Chuggaaconroy, he got Luigi waaaaaaaay more than I did, leading me to become interested in the idea of "out of the total stars needed to get to bowser, how many can you do with Luigi?"

It's been a while since I've played, so I'd need to know how many Grand Stars can be included within the initial 'Luigi Threshold' of 27-ish.

And if there's any exploits into getting a guaranteed Luigi spawn on a level, that would be helpful (eg if I back out of a level he isn't in, would he possibly be spawned on another level in a different galaxy?). Also, I hear Luigi can only show up on the first mission of a level, but also non-speedrun comet stars. Is this true? Or can he show up on any normal level?
School should teach you how to adult instead of how to solve for x.
I got no clue how to adult but I sure as hell can figure out what x is in 7x = 4 + 27 X 8.

User Info: marioluigi67890

marioluigi67890
2 months ago#4
incredibly late reply, but since i'm replaying smg2 right now and i'm interested in this myself, i want to say that i actually got him to start appearing at around 23 stars on my current playthrough !

i had been trying to get luigi to show up before, and i actually think from what little i could find that one of the requirements is doing the second star of tall trunk galaxy - i'd seen it mentioned, and the reason i believe it might be part of it is that luigi is specifically brought up a fair bit by whittles during the mission who talk about how he fled from the slide

after talking to the whittle who joins you about comet medals, i did a couple more stars (the first one in haunty halls and then the first one in hightail falls iirc) and then luigi showed up on the starship

i can't say anything about if he can show up on second missions in galaxies since i haven't tried yet, but i do want to mention that i went back to cosmic cove's first mission (after already getting the main star there) to feed the hungry luma and luigi showed up, just in case you didn't know he can show up in previous worlds too (since i imagine going back to previous worlds could help with the run !)

i also think luigi is the requirement for prankster comets to start appearing, since i noticed it was after my first time playing as him that i started getting them which i think was also true in chuggaaconroy's lp, but i can't be certain - i just have a feeling from how the mission that brings in the whittle who'll talk about comet medals' purpose also being the one to mention luigi a lot is definitely interesting

i think chugga himself might've brought it up during one of the bonus episodes knowing the stuff he tends to cover, but i still thought it was worth sharing my thoughts here, especially since the information i've found on luigi and prankster comets starting to appear has been so frustratingly contradictory as someone who sort of wanted to get both of them to show up asap ! i have no idea if you even remember this or have any interest in this idea anymore, but i really hope it goes well or did go well ! ^ ^
smm2 id: 2KN-TG4-2PG
ancient clowns foretold "Waluigi shall get into Smash one day, and the ensuing chaos will usher in a new world's creation"...
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  3. Dead Board but Luigi Question
  • Post New Message

Need More Help?

1. Guides and Walkthroughs 11 Guides / Maps
  2. GameFAQs Q&A 242 Questions (241 Answered)

GameFAQs Q&A