• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
  3. Having finally gotten around to finishing the game, it's not half bad.

User Info: DS977

DS977
11 months ago#1
I'm really not seeing how it's nearly as bad as I heard people claiming it was. Sure it has its flaws, but what game doesn't?

My only major gripe is the points of no return, which I feel necessitates playing the game with a Djinn guide open and was the reason I stopped playing it years ago.

Everything else is pretty minor and I can easily overlook due to how much fun there us to be had playing with class combinations, trying different artifacts on each character to find the ones you like, and generally just dicking around customizing your party.

But for the sake of fairness I'll talk about each of them.

There's a boatload of dialogue, and it was occasionally annoying when I saw a chest in a room just as I exited it and had to wait through like 5 minutes of dialogue that consists of about 40% new information being presented and 60% your party reacting with text and emotes to this new information.

The only other thing that bugged me is something the first game did too, which is that it left a lot of stuff unfinished. I have to excuse it in order to be fair to the game, because I like the first game which also did that, but at the same time after The Lost Age I found myself bummed out that I wasn't going to get an actual conclusion to the overarching plot the game began about the vortexes and the potential return of the Mourning Moon. Instead we get derailed pretty much right at the start of the "beginning quest" and just never really get back to it.

On difficulty however people can say whatever they want and it doesn't really matter to me since JRPGs let you more or less pick your own difficulty based off of if you grind, if you run from fights, if you equip the beat gear you can get, if you use items, etc.
"What is so funny, you imbeciles! How dare you get a happy ending! How DARE you!"

User Info: BraveDimension

BraveDimension
11 months ago#2
Thank you so much! Someone finally said it!

I think that a lot of fans were more disappointed about their favorite characters not returning than they were about the game itself. Golden Sun was (and still is) pretty popular in the fan department.

I enjoyed the game because of the gameplay, honestly. It was so much better than the first two as far as graphics are concerned. I also really liked the music, but the story wasn't bad. I think that the game was more fun than the story itself but that's just me.

Still, like you said, 'Not half bad'. I sure wish I could find a game with similar graphics and gameplay though...
All right, all right, Mr. Amazing Scienceman. Clearly, your fantasy world is doing a fine job of making you happy...
-Janne Angard

User Info: The Fir Coat

The Fir Coat
10 months ago#3
I agree, it's not half bad.

It's all bad.
======,-' . . . . \###/ . . . .__. . . . ,'======= Auto Phoenix?!?
=====,-' . . . . . . . . . ./###\ . . ,'======== I'm boned!!

User Info: BraveDimension

BraveDimension
9 months ago#4
The Fir Coat posted...
I agree, it's not half bad.

It's all bad.

Yes to everything except that last part! Thank you for proving my point!
Okay, everyone... Don't make eye contact, let's just walk away...
-Janne Angard
(edited 9 months ago)

User Info: KevinReconAlpha

KevinReconAlpha
9 months ago#5
I think it was mostly ruined by being far too easy. Most JRPGs are easy-ish, but it was rare to even have to manage your resources in this game, which made the gameplay totally unengaging. Huge mistake to let it fly out like that as it basically wrecked the series.
(edited 9 months ago)

User Info: JDM_Jev

JDM_Jev
5 months ago#6
Yeah the battles were just so easy and fast with no bosses except the optional ones and the final having more than 3000 HP. Kinda weird that they had the beast mode transformation and other new forms of power creep above TLA without any actual challenge to warrant it. At least TLA seriously pumped HP bars and allowed many bosses 2 or 3 moves a turn. Here I doubt I ever even used a healing item or water of life once until I bothered to take on the optional bosses. Very lame compared to TLA where most bosses had some strategy involved, especially on hard mode.
27 pronged approach! We weren't gonna shoot it ALL into space, that's what the other prongs were for! Stupid...
  1. Boards
  2. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
  3. Having finally gotten around to finishing the game, it's not half bad.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A