Idk, this game is alright, but feels like a waste of time.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  3. Idk, this game is alright, but feels like a waste of time.

User Info: DarkAdonis123

DarkAdonis123
6 years ago#21
Knuckles07 posted...
I still find the NES games more fun. Yes nostalgia does play a part but I also liked the power ups more. The penguin suit and the propeller hat didn't do anything for me.

What makes you like the frog suit more than the penguin suit?

You were a god under water. The penguin suit does make you more agile under water, but not like the frog suit. The drawback of the frog suit was that you could only hop on dry land
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue

User Info: sircooksalot

sircooksalot
6 years ago#22
I liked the power ups more too.

SMB3: Mushroom, Flower, Leaf, Frog Suit, Tanooki Suit, Hammer Bros. Suit, P-wing, Star=8
NSMBW: Mushroom, Flower, Small Mushroom, Star, Ice Flower, Penguin Suit, Propeller Hat=7

I think I have included everything. To me it's just a shame to keep using Mario in platforming and not really advancing it. In fact, it seems like the creativity is waning. I know it's kind of a crappy comparison, but look at it anyway. SMB3 in '93 had more powerups than NSMBW over 10 years later. And in my opinion they were more imaginative in SMB3. Sure the tanooki is nearly the same as the Leaf, but so is the penguin suit and the ice flower.

If they included the old power ups, I would have been happy. But instead they backtrack and remove things that worked before in order to add things that are redundant (ice flower and penguin).

That's just my 2 cents.
Tis a good day to die.

User Info: BlanketPI

BlanketPI
6 years ago#23
sircooksalot posted...
I liked the power ups more too.
SMB3: Mushroom, Flower, Leaf, Frog Suit, Tanooki Suit, Hammer Bros. Suit, P-wing, Star=8
NSMBW: Mushroom, Flower, Small Mushroom, Star, Ice Flower, Penguin Suit, Propeller Hat=7

The "P-Wing" was also the Super Leaf, just with an infinite P-meter for 1 level.... The Hammer Bros. Suit was utterly broken, since it killed so many things, just like the Cape in Super Mario World, so that would be more of a fan-service thing, than anything else. I found it made levels unenjoyable, personally. The Frog Suit was like the Spring Suit, being both perpetual hopping and hit-or-miss with most people. I like both, but there are many who dislike both.

The Penguin Suit was, in my opinion just as stupid as the Tanooki Suit, since they are just even stronger versions of the already overly powerful standard versions. (Ice Balls kill way more than Fireballs and give a projectile, while any platforming aid is powerful, especially if you can also fly with it.) They both had separate powers which could have been slightly expanded upon to make their own power-ups.

Don't forget that New Super Mario Bros. Wii also had Yoshis, which, while some may like more, I feel should retain its current status of being a power-up that doesn't carry over through levels.

Many of the levels in New Super Mario Bros. Wii are better with 3 or 4 people. It was the game's design, after all. Many levels, particularly the auto-scrolling levels, work much better with more people. The screen is just too large, otherwise. Try 7-6 for starters. (It's tough squeezing in 4 people on the Parabuzzies while trying to advance)

I would disagree that the creativity is wanning. You see many levels with the same gimmick as before. The thing is, the levels themselves are drastically different. 7-6 had nothing but the Parabuzzies to go on. 5...-5? (or is it 6?) of Super Mario Bros. 3 had few Parabuzzies to go on and mostly focused on using them to get to other platforms. Some levels in New Super Mario Bros. Wii are miss, but some were miss back in Super Mario Bros. 3 and the original Super Mario Bros..

I think both of the New Super Mario Bros. games had expectations that weren't met. But if you play them again, knowing what to expect, you may find them similar or more fun than their predecessors. I know I felt that way after I played Super Mario Galaxy 2 the second time (in comparison to Super Mario Galaxy).

I personally feel that they are worthy of the Super Mario Bros. name, being roughly equal in fun to the other 4 games (Not counting Super Mario Bros. 2 USA)
I apologize in advance, if I'm annoying! I'm not trying!
Running through a game is fine but the real skill is in letting stuff get messy by taking it slowly.

User Info: RaccoonCity

RaccoonCity
6 years ago#24

I replayed it a few weeks ago and I can honestly understand the hype that surrounds it now. The atmosphere, the design, and uniqueness itbrought to the table.

I can't understand the hype at all. The only thing SMB3 did better than NSMBW was level themes.

And air ship levels that were actually difficult.
"It's verbal wildfire!"
  1. Boards
  2. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  3. Idk, this game is alright, but feels like a waste of time.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived