Idk, this game is alright, but feels like a waste of time.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  3. Idk, this game is alright, but feels like a waste of time.

User Info: RJP_X

RJP_X
7 years ago#1
I mean, I am collecting every star coin.(Have for all the 8 regular worlds as of today.) The thing is, unlike SMB.3 and SMW these NSMBs barely have anything memorable. =/

Like 4 years ago I completed everything in the DS NSMB and don't remember a single thing. I feel as of this game will be the same thing. Propeller helmets and penguin gliding outfits are not enough to make me remember much about this game a year from now. Most of the levels were too easy and nothing noteworthy much. There were a few pretty good ones I guess though.

Co-op mode is alright I guess. I'm just going to finish the rest of it and then probably shelf it for life. At least I got it for 30$ used, anybody paying 40$-50$ for this I feel sad for. =(
R J P
M V P of M V P's.

User Info: Knuckles07

Knuckles07
7 years ago#2
Don't shed any tears for me, because I'd gladly pay $60 for this game! :D
And what did you find to be so much more memorable about SMB3 and SMW? I find this game to have just as much memorable stuff as those games! Maybe it's because you've most likely played the classics a lot more over the years?
ILLYRIA: "Try not to die. You are not unpleasant to my eyes."

RJP_X
7 years ago#3
I use to rent SMB.2, 3, Yoshi's Island, and World for the SNES when I was real little. Then I got all of the ports for the GBA as they came out. SMB2 wasn't that great to me. However World was released next then I loved it, I had to complete everything in it and had fond memories. Yoshi's Island was pretty neat. Then SMB.3 came out, I didn't much care for it cause it was over too quick and barely any side stuff. I replayed it a few weeks ago and I can honestly understand the hype that surrounds it now. The atmosphere, the design, and uniqueness it brought to the table. A lot of the levels were over before they were started, but the levels did get progressively harder in the last couple of worlds. When I played through SMB3 again I actually felt excitement during this run I was like, now this is a true Mario game.

I mean, this game does stay true to a lot of its roots, but there feels to be little originality besides a few of the levels. I'm not saying I wanted this to take the DKCR route where there is an all new cast of enemies and everything, cause that made me not really care for that game much either but, the penguin outfit kind of sucks... The propeller helmet makes most levels a breeze if you use it in that manner. And it kind of feels like a 2D SMG set in a SMB dimension with the spin stuff and kicking off walls. I don't mean to complain about too much but, if this were released cheaper or had a potential price drop a year after it came out, but I know how Nintendo branded games are. -shrugs-
R J P
M V P of M V P's.

User Info: Glitch808

Glitch808
7 years ago#4
SMB3 is only more memorable because of nostalgia.
The age you were when you played SMB3 as compared to how old you were when you played either of the New SMB games makes a difference. You can't expect a Mario game to leave as big of an impact on a 30something as it does on a 8-16 year old.

I paid $40 for NSMB Wii when it was released and the amount of enjoyment I've gotten makes the purchase a great value.
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site

RJP_X
7 years ago#5
I mean, its by no means a bad game, but I was gonna keep my mouth shut when I found it at a store for 30$, but then when I think about how I was actually going to pick it up at full price it kind of makes my mind bounce against the wall of my skull.

The only thing that stood out to me was when you knock Bowser off the bridge, you think its over just like in the regular SMB, but he turns giant and chases you for awhile.(Well I didn't think it was over, I knew it wasn't going to be that easy. =p) That seems to be the only unique thing that really stands out for me.
R J P
M V P of M V P's.

Knuckles07
7 years ago#6
the penguin outfit kind of sucks...

It practically makes the frog suit obsolete.
Also, almost every level in NSMBW has something unique in it that you can't find in any other level. If you play through the game again you'll see what I mean.

User Info: shoshonte

shoshonte
7 years ago#7
I had fun while I played it but after collecting hundreds of star coins I sort of got bored. Not to mention they didn't even give me my fifth star :( The reason I played it a lot was because the co-op was awesome. It's permanently shelved now lol
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, put this in your signature.

Knuckles07
7 years ago#8
It's permanently shelved now

How very unfortunate... : /
No 2D Mario platformer will ever be 'permanently shelved' for me.

User Info: NormnStansfield

NormnStansfield
7 years ago#9
the thing about super mario 3 was that it was the epic leap forward of its day. they made a great game, pushed some new limits, and invested heavily in the media, to get people interested in it. and for the most part they succeeded.
this game isn't the next great technological anything. Super Mario Galaxy is that game, now. This is a safe, low risk, nostalgia trip. Still fun, though.
hes the "Angry Video Game Neeeeeerd," funny dude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kBMscW_dVg

User Info: SoaringDive

SoaringDive
7 years ago#10
The thing is, unlike SMB.3 and SMW these NSMBs barely have anything memorable. =/

NSMBW's level design was more memorable than SMW. (not gonna talk about SMB3 because I'm not going to compare 'memorable' for a game I played when I was 2 to when I was 13)
Your entire life has been a mathematical error. A mathematical error I'm about to correct.
  1. Boards
  2. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  3. Idk, this game is alright, but feels like a waste of time.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived