• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Halo: Reach
  3. What's Bungie's reasoning for putting the crosshair slightly off center?

User Info: GTRagnarok

GTRagnarok
8 years ago#1
Ever since Halo 2, the crosshair has been slightly below the center of the screen. Not necessarily a bad thing and not really noticeable, but strange.
One of the Dedicated 500 - #33, #309
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=570526&topic=47462663

User Info: Megaguts

Megaguts
8 years ago#2
maybe it's the center of the "visor"
GT: ConfederateRokr
I roll all day ery day

User Info: Kakkay

Kakkay
8 years ago#3
Because the Master Chief (and Spartans in general) are rather tall, so instead of forcing the gamer to angle their 'camera' down to shoot people in the face, Bungie lowered the crosshair for general ease of use.
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.
http://card.mygamercard.net/geothermal/blue/Kakkay.png

User Info: Sup3rNo7a

Sup3rNo7a
8 years ago#4

Because the Master Chief (and Spartans in general) are rather tall, so instead of forcing the gamer to angle their 'camera' down to shoot people in the face, Bungie lowered the crosshair for general ease of use.

And I ****ing hate them for it. It throws everything off for me because I always - more-or-less - level the horizon line with the center of the screen anyway, so I'm always left aiming slightly down now, meaning I have to re-level my sites whenever I encounter anything that's not a Grunt.

I've hated the crosshair location ever since they changed it (it's been my single biggest complaint), because the new "leveled" crosshair always leaves me feel like I'm looking slightly up (which doesn't help when I have to throw grenades any real distance, since I can't see where I'm aiming by the time I'm angled high enough).

>_<
My calendar's days are numbered.

User Info: Orange_Apple

Orange_Apple
8 years ago#5
I never noticed a difference to be honest. haha
HRcustomsHR <--- Add for Halo Reach custom gamertag list
ApC/AbT.

User Info: Sheluligans

Sheluligans
8 years ago#6
They did it so you can't shoot from your head like in CoD. Your gun has to actually be visible to shoot someone.

User Info: mega478

mega478
8 years ago#7
I always thought it was for gameplay reasons. People tend to jump a lot in combat, and you usually need to pay more attention to the air than the ground 2 feet away from you.
GT: Unchill
The Hard Egg Gave A Mute Echo

User Info: CraigJK

CraigJK
8 years ago#8
I agree, I always thought it was annoying that the crosshair was so low on the screen. I can never find a comfortable place to aim while walking because of it.

User Info: Mike_Vanderzand

Mike_Vanderzand
8 years ago#9

I agree, I always thought it was annoying that the crosshair was so low on the screen. I can never find a comfortable place to aim while walking because of it.

How about straight ahead? How is this even a problem?
Walshy knows I'm a BEAST, PROOF:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YJ_OTU3-EQ
Honorary 5th member of MLG Team: Carbon

User Info: Sup3rNo7a

Sup3rNo7a
8 years ago#10

How about straight ahead? How is this even a problem?

It's all about peripheral vision.

Your eyes automatically gravitate to the crosshair on the screen because that's where your aiming point is (plus the crosshair graphic itself acts as a focal point). However, with the crosshair offset as it is, if you level that crosshair (and subsequently your line of sight) with the horizon as people subconsciously do when looking "straight ahead", you end up seeing more of the sky through your peripheral vision than you do the ground (because the screen ends and cuts it off). That creates a weird lack of visual balance that conflicts somewhere in my head and makes it feel like I'm walking around with my head tilted up and my eyes angled down to level out with the horizon.

My eyes gravitate toward the crosshair, as they should with a focal point provided on the screen, but my natural instinct when looking "straight ahead" is to balance my peripheral vision. To do that with the crosshairs offset as they are, I have to aim them down slightly to better center the horizon on the screen. Doing so, however, makes it so that I am constantly aiming at the ground at about Grunt-height, causing me to have to re-adjust my aim anytime I run across something taller than a Grunt.

tl;dr, it just feels off. I can't really explain it any better than all that.
If you can’t be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
  1. Boards
  2. Halo: Reach
  3. What's Bungie's reasoning for putting the crosshair slightly off center?
  • Topic Archived