• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Nitsution

Nitsution
4 years ago#1
People keep dissin this game and I still can't understand why it looks good it plays good and it's not easy and for me it was pretty long I much rather play this than crisis 1

User Info: spikedebeaver

spikedebeaver
4 years ago#2
A lot of hate stems from the shift from PC to console. The price of doing this was the "fresh start" feel whereby you didn't have to play 1 to follow 2 despite the cliffhanger of 1. People wanted a straight continuation of 1 and even I was taken aback by the change. However, after playing I was very impressed and was able to move on. Crysis 2 is in fact my favorite in the series because of the power behind the story.
My friend code is 5257-9242-1013 IGN: Jet

User Info: Yokoso

Yokoso
4 years ago#3
> Crysis 2 is in fact my favorite in the series because of the power behind the story.

Okay, then explain to me this story which is so powerful, because i am convinced that it doesnt make ANY sense. None of it.

Game is still the best Crytek ever done.

spikedebeaver
4 years ago#4
Mind explaining what parts don't make sense? I'd be happy to help shed light if you're confused on any or all of it. The game bridges itself from the first one rather well. Data in 3 explains further some things that weren't explained in 2.

To answer your question, the power behind the story is the feeling, as the player, that you actually can beat the Ceph. In 1 they're simply a mysterious force that is owning you on every front. At the end you find a way to combat them but it's dependent upon mechanics that aren't practical when fighting an entire invasion. This is evident in 2 where no one even uses that mechanic anymore. This is likely a mixture of Helena dying between games and the Ceph changing their tactics whereby that mechanic likely lost effectiveness. Instead we start in the N2, told it's the real chance at beating the Ceph, but not really told why. Then Hargreave sends up through some hoops to build the nano suit into the weapon we were told it could be and in the end the N2 really becomes the perfect weapon. The ONLY weapon capable of beating the Ceph in numbers beyond any other form. We go from being a victim to the spore, to the wielder of it. We use their mass virus against them and utterly destroy them in New York, then set out to do the same elsewhere in the world. That's the power I'm referencing. You go from trying to survive, being the number 1 soldier of the front lines, to being the number one force against the invasion. It's the climb in power, delivered well, that makes the player feel empowered. It makes you really believe that you are the answer to the Ceph.

User Info: Yokoso

Yokoso
4 years ago#5
>Mind explaining what parts don't make sense?
Where do i begin...why did the original Prophet just randomly wandered the streets instead of getting to Hargreaves ? Why did the Ceph invade instead of waiting for humans to die out from the plague ? What is the reason of Cell trying to kill you other than "it's an abomination ! shoot it !!!" ? Why did Goauld have a huge suit testing thingie in his girlfriend's flat ? How come the suit has processing power to recreate nanomachine antivirus, yet doesnt have enough juice to let me run for more than 10 seconds ? How would FLOODING A CITY help kill a clearly sea-evolved lifeforms ? Why couldnt Hargreaves just explain everything to EVERYONE so that other people would HELP maybe ?

>you actually can beat the Ceph
You actually dont. You dont contribute anything to the "victory", which is not quite assured. Your suit is basically playing the role of deus ex machina. Why did we win over Ceph ? Because magic.

> In 1 they're simply a mysterious force that is owning you on every front.
Nothing mysterious about them, they're bloody aliens. As for owning me...i beg to differ. When i entered their ship i was out of ammo, so i bashed a few dozens of them to death with my bare hands. Some enemy.

> It's the climb in power, delivered well, that makes the player feel empowered.
Sorry, but i cant quite agree with me feeling empowered. In the course of the game you get... you ROUTINELY get knocked out, time, after time, after time. It happens about 10 times over the course of 17 levels. Why am i still alive at the end ? One time you get the dizzy spell right next to the bunch of aliens...and they dont do anything to you, and simply walk away ? What kind of story relies on protagonist falling unconscious every five minutes ?

spikedebeaver
4 years ago#6
>why did the original Prophet just randomly wandered the streets instead of getting to Hargreaves?
You know CELL is hunting Prophet at the start right? And that CELL works for Hargreave? Prophet had a fallout with Hargreave after seeing that everything up to that point had been a sick experiment orchestrated by Hargreave to text the nanosuits. Prophet stole the latest model, the N2, and bailed on Hargreave and worked with Gould. Prophet was done working with Hargreave. He had Gould and the N2. He was gonna handle things himself from there.

>Why did the Ceph invade instead of waiting for humans to die out from the plague?
It isn't directly stated. I'll give you that one. However, I don't think it's difficult to theorize a good guess. For starts, as we see in the opening, the plague DID hit before the invasion. Well before. However, the spore can only travel as far as the spires allow them. We know for a fact that the spires were in some of the most populated regions around the world. It stand to reason that the Ceph would need to exterminate the rest of civilization manually. When the Ceph emerged from the major cities around the tower, I would say they did so to destroy what's outside those cities. When they're met with obvious resistance they eliminate that while they're at it. So you have Ceph leaving these cities to attack worldwide, and many staying as well to defend the spires. Also, the Ceph had no reason to not invade in addition to the spore anyway. They could not have foreseen the N2 being a thing to cause them the problems it did.

>What is the reason of Cell trying to kill you other than "it's an abomination ! shoot it !!!"?
This answer is given in 3. The Ceph are trying to exterminate human life as part of their colonization operations. Earth was to become another Ceph world. Even if you didn't play 3 a hypothesis is given in 2 from Hargreave that perhaps the Ceph were here first then left and the ones that stayed here went to sleep. During their sleep humans evolved and the Ceph did not like what they found when they woke up. Therefore, the invasion is simply taking back what's theirs.

>Why did Gould have a huge suit testing thingie in his girlfriend's flat?
He stole it from Hargreaev-Rasch Biomedical when he was fired. He says so in the same chapter you see it.

>How come the suit has processing power to recreate nanomachine antivirus, yet doesnt have enough juice to let me run for more than 10 seconds?
To be fair, gameplay mechanics shouldn't really be a gripe when it's the plot you're trying to understand. However, it is cannon that the suit runs out of power at the N2 saw a 32% increase in speed, again per story not gameplay, and still runs out of energy in time. It really comes down to deep mechanics of the suit itself whereby I would end up quoting a lot of words I honestly don't know the meaning to. However, it all comes down to this. It's two different parts of the suit and therefore function differently. Understand that the N2 is the most efficient machine ever built, becoming A.I. in 3. Many things run normally without enhancing the wearers abilities. What we see is when it enhances the wearer, it requires some form of natural fuel that quickly regenerates. The fuel capacity of the N2 is greater than that of the original, again plot not gameplay. The other functions are done by the suit without user prompt. Two different functions.

more coming.

spikedebeaver
4 years ago#7
>How would FLOODING A CITY help kill a clearly sea-evolved lifeforms?
That's hypothetical as well. Sea-evolved life is never confirmed. Also, we don't know that it didn't. All they flooded was a specified area of New York. Not all of it. I'm willing to bet there were a fair amount of Ceph casualties. But the Ceph's numbers were so great that it didn't matter. The real question is why they thought that would dent the numbers at all. And I can't answer that. Think back to 1 where they nuked despite someone who had studied them enough to say it was a bad idea. Seems like the military was desperate and ready to try anything but that's all I got there.

>Why couldnt Hargreaves just explain everything to EVERYONE so that other people would HELP maybe?
Explain what exactly? And how? Hargreave did speak out to the Marine's once Alcatraz woke up after the flood. He also spoke to them through the N2. Speaking to the entire public would have been difficult and meaningless. Ultimately no one could do anything. It was all dependent on the N2.

>You actually dont. You dont contribute anything to the "victory", which is not quite assured. Your suit is basically playing the role of deus ex machina. Why did we win over Ceph ? Because magic.
Actually no. Very shortly after 2 Prophet was placed in control of the suit by the suit itself (this is another conversation entirely) and he went to each spire, reversed the spore, and then destroyed the majority of the Ceph in between. Sure, you only contribute to the victory of New York, but you see first hand the events that will lead to the victory of the world.

>Nothing mysterious about them, they're bloody aliens. As for owning me...i beg to differ. When i entered their ship i was out of ammo, so i bashed a few dozens of them to death with my bare hands. Some enemy.
Again, you can't really compare gameplay mechanic when your complaint is the plot. Sure you could own them in gameplay. Sure you could bash their armorless faces in inside the ship. I'm sure that last part would work btw. They're clearly a very soft or jell like tissue. They destroy the military on every front and the entirety of the game after their reveal is about retreating from them. The original Nanosuit was also imperfect against them and was only successful in the end because of Helena's work. The N2 was build on the things learned from the original and became a more fierce weapon. And they're totally mysterious. It isn't as black and white as "well it's obviously aliens so lets kill them." If you played 3 then you know about the Alpha Ceph. All of that is foreshadowed quite well in one with the talk about the ship itself being alive. Helena goes into quite some detail about them biologically and even possible origins of space. It was very clear there was a lot to learn about them. It wasn't until 3 that all of it was laid out.

more coming.

spikedebeaver
4 years ago#8
>Sorry, but i cant quite agree with me feeling empowered. In the course of the game you get... you ROUTINELY get knocked out, time, after time, after time. It happens about 10 times over the course of 17 levels. Why am i still alive at the end ? One time you get the dizzy spell right next to the bunch of aliens...and they dont do anything to you, and simply walk away ? What kind of story relies on protagonist falling unconscious every five minutes ?
Fun fact. You ARE dead. At some unspecified time during 2 Alcatraz dies. The suit, being that it copies perfect A.I. clones of it's wearers, simply placed data copy Alcatraz in control without the player ever knowing. It tells you in 3 though. It says after the suits damaged sustained at the end of 2 Alcatraz's data was damaged by so much that the data clone had to be archived in the suit's memory indefinitely. This is why data Prophet is uploaded to take over at the end. Regardless, you don't actually go unconscious that often, and even when you do its for a few seconds, 1 minute at tops, before playing the game again. For a shooter, this game has substantial length and doesn't need to be hated on for loosing control of the character occasionally. And gameplay did not make me feel empowered. I said it was the telling of the story that did. And this entire point is a matter of opinion so if you disagree that's just as fine. Not a big deal really.

Done now.
  • Topic Archived
More topics from this board...
Crysis 2 Multiplayer FAQTheBlueDeath253/15/2013