• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them

User Info: ChazA4

ChazA4
4 years ago#1
Board's probably dead, but nonetheless;

Finally got a chance to play this game, thanks to GwG. I really wish I'd had a computer that could run this back in the 90's, or that I'd been able to play it sooner. What a blast this game has been...I'll find myself playing this a few times, undoubtedly. My wife even took part in watching me play a few times, and she was in stitches over Stan(mostly his voice...).

Better late than never, I guess...
Bad: When you attempt to disarm a trap, the GM says "Uh oh..."
Worse: When asking for the damage, they say "Does anyone have a calculator?"

User Info: OhioState82

OhioState82
4 years ago#2
Got it on Games with Gold, too. Never played it before. I never really played many point and click adventures. I can remember playing the Hugo games when I was younger.

As I figured that I would, I got stuck a few times. I guess they could count as spoilers:

Switching the grog between cups. I never figured out how to do it until I read a FAQ (or the board) that said to switch to classic mode. I still don't think it's even possible to do it in the updated mode.

Following the store guy to the swordmaster. I swear that I had left at the same time that he had before, and I must have just overlooked him leaving in the corner. I thought to follow him but just never executed it.

Opening that freaking box of cereal on the ship. I "used" the box and since he appeared to eat some of the cereal, it never occurred to me that he wouldn't have necessarily opened the box to accomplish that.

Giving the cannibals/natives the guidebook thing.

I can't remember if there were any other times where I got stuck without help, but I know there were several parts that I spent considerable time trying to crack. I wouldn't call myself a particularly patient guy, so this game has been quite challenging for me.

ChazA4
4 years ago#3
OhioState82 posted...
Got it on Games with Gold, too. Never played it before. I never really played many point and click adventures. I can remember playing the Hugo games when I was younger.

As I figured that I would, I got stuck a few times. I guess they could count as spoilers:

Switching the grog between cups. I never figured out how to do it until I read a FAQ (or the board) that said to switch to classic mode. I still don't think it's even possible to do it in the updated mode.

Following the store guy to the swordmaster. I swear that I had left at the same time that he had before, and I must have just overlooked him leaving in the corner. I thought to follow him but just never executed it.

Opening that freaking box of cereal on the ship. I "used" the box and since he appeared to eat some of the cereal, it never occurred to me that he wouldn't have necessarily opened the box to accomplish that.

Giving the cannibals/natives the guidebook thing.

I can't remember if there were any other times where I got stuck without help, but I know there were several parts that I spent considerable time trying to crack. I wouldn't call myself a particularly patient guy, so this game has been quite challenging for me.

A good portion of this stuff I eventually figured out(through the method of "Click everywhere like crazy", lol), but more than a few times I had to be reminded to 'open' stuff to proceed.

Per your points:
1. It can be done in the updated version, but you need to be FAST, or you need to have enough cups that you switch EVERY screen. Use RT to bring up the inventory, Up+Left to use, then pick a fresh mug to put the stuff in.
2. Hah! I actually thought that was my cue to go for five-finger discounts on the shovel and sword...whoops! At least he wasn't as bad as the Koholint Island shopkeeper...that guy meant BUSINESS!
3. I think I got off easy on figuring things out(or knowing when they progressed) because I was playing the updated version. Having Guybrush say something helped more often than not.
4. Yeah...how the heck were we supposed to figure THAT out? >.<

If you haven't beat it yet, good luck...and one clue to help out: Check your landing site when you're getting walloped.

User Info: kohan

kohan
4 years ago#4
need help on how did you melt the lock
ka

ChazA4
4 years ago#5
kohan posted...
need help on how did you melt the lock

Go to the tavern(where you were reporting to the three pirate leaders, and now the cook is crying). Pick up EVERY mug in there. Go into the kitchen, and use one of the mugs on the barrel of grog(you know, the stuff the pirates drink?). Now, you must be fast. Start moving back to the prison, USEing a new mug on the current mug on each screen(the grog is melting each mug, and if you take too long, it will melt OUT of the mug and spill on the ground). When you get to the prison, USE your current mug on the lock. If you mess up, and the grog spilled, just go back to the tavern and repeat the process(try and be faster).
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A