• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Harvest Moon: Animal Parade
  3. I'm a newbie, any starting tips?

User Info: xGummiBearsx

xGummiBearsx
10 years ago#1
As the title says! I'm getting this game in a few days and I want to have a good start. The last HM game I played was AWL a while back. So is there anything you wish you knew when you started this game? I have a few specific questions.

1) When and how soon can I get a horse? (One of my fav parts of HM games!)
2) Is there any time limits? Missable items?
3) Whats the big money maker in this game? Any money making tricks? (I've heard there are alot of clothes in this game and my animals will starve because I'll be too busy dressing up my character with expensive accesories D: ...)
4) Best way to restore stamina apart from sleeping? I always hated how I could barely do anything without fainting..xD

Any help or answers will be greatly appreciated! I remember the last time I played Harvest Moon I couldn't even feed the dog. The SHAME!

User Info: MiralAngora

MiralAngora
10 years ago#2
1. You can get a horse when the ranch upgrades. You upgrade it by sending a certain monetary amount through the shipping bin. I'm not sure exactly what it is, so you should look at some of the FAQs for it. I believe I bought mine in early Autumn, although I got a late start, so you may get it sooner.

2. Time limits...? Not exactly sure what you mean by that. If you mean AWL style where you only get to play a few years at a time, then no. You get to play every year with no time skips. I believe the only missable items would be gifts of clothes from potential spouses when you get them to four hearts, such as clothes from Julius and Gill. Otherwise, I think anything can be gotten in the next year or whatever if you happen to miss it.

3. There are a lot of clothes, yes. Each one goes for about 2000G-3000G. Some more, some less. Which, in the beginning, will be a lot. Focus on your farming in the beginning, and work to get your animals slowly. Crops, as always, are your money makers. If you want a breakdown of the most profitable crops, check out DetroitDJ's faqs, there's a TON of info in there. After summer, I recommend you cut down the cherry trees in your field to be used for planting. By spring of the next year, I was able to purchase a new field specifically for trees, and I got the next largest field by summer of that year.
If you're a spender and worried about your animals starving, plant some grass for insurance. Four squares for each animal should do it. Then just cut it down whenever its grown. Otherwise it's 20G a pop. Although this cuts down on crop space, so I recommend you don't do that unless necessary. Certain clothes changes every season, but it will be back next year, so buy it whenever you have the money.

4. Forage. Mushrooms restored a fair bit of stamina, especially since you can find a lot. I'd recommend going through the plot as fast as you can as well. I'll be vague to keep from potentially spoiling anything, but after you get to a certain point near the beginning, you'll get something that restores stamina almost to full capacity. If you mine, whack the moles with your hammer, you can sometimes get a Bodigizer XL, which restores it fully.

User Info: xGummiBearsx

xGummiBearsx
10 years ago#3
Wow! Thanks so much for the detailed answers, helped me very much! :) And yes that is what I meant by deadlines. When I didn't get married in the 1st year of AWL and the game ended I was like wait, what?! Didn't want that to happen to me again.

User Info: MiralAngora

MiralAngora
10 years ago#4
No problem. (: One thing though, is that I wouldn't really recommend getting a horse. It's helpful the first year, but when you finish Theodore's circus quest thing, you won't be needing one. At all. Then the only other thing it will be useful for is the animal race, and you can use any other barn animal to race on anyway. The prize isn't even that great. 25 shining carrots isn't exactly worth it, especially when the only way you can win that race is to item hog.

If you're set on having a horse, go for it. I ended up selling mine after finishing Theodore's circus quest.

User Info: emily06

emily06
10 years ago#5
To get a baby horse you have to upgrade the horn ranch to a level 2 (level 3 for an adult). To get it to level 2 you have to ship 50,000 G's and ring the green bell. However, you can get a FREE cow at the beginning of the game by talking to Cain. Once you have enough hearts with it you can ride the cow. It's not as fast as the horse but you get milk every day. Horses don't produce anything so they really don't make money and since you can only have 3 types of animals at a time most people don't even bother with horses. Personally I like them just because they are nice looking so I have 2 (one brown and one black).

As far as stamina I started eating common mushrooms and you can make herb tea with any one herb and a pot. Ringing the red bell is a good idea. Also getting the power berries helps because it increases your stamina bar. Some of the easiest ones are when you meet the harvest goddess, getting 10 hearts with one of your farm animals, the 30th floor of the lower garmon mine, and the 45th floor of the upper garmon mine after you ring the red bell.
  1. Boards
  2. Harvest Moon: Animal Parade
  3. I'm a newbie, any starting tips?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A