• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Contra ReBirth
  3. Storyline explained (or tried to...) WARNING: SPOILERS

User Info: gearratio

gearratio
11 years ago#1
This post is full of spoilers, don't say you weren't warned...

Seeing as how the story to this is definitely among the most absurd....

*INTRO 1*
A guy wakes up and is evidently lost at what he sees. He doesn't know where he is. He is greeted by a robot/creature (at this point we don't know). It calls him pfc Bill Rizer. So it's good ol' Bill. But here, it seems he's also referred to as Contra. This reference must already be familiar, so no questions... But the guy reveals that he doesn't even know who he himself is (asks if "Bill Rizer"/"Contra" is really his name). The other one confirms. So the guy agrees that he must be Bill if she's says so. The creature/robot plays a message from the Galactic President.

Questions at this point (not necessarily have to answer... just thinkers):
1) Is this really Bill Rizer or are we left to accept/assume it's him? And who/what is that robot/creature?
2) Assuming this is Bill Rizer, how did he end up forgetting everything?
3) Why is Bill not surprised at "Galactic President"? Doesn't this mean he's in space and wouldn't he wonder why he's in space for? The next scene has Bill, another person with darker complexion and the galactic president on a screen ahead. The pres. introduces "Chief Salamander", who Bill doesn't know. Chielf Salamander is an alien wreaking havoc on earth with its Neo-Salamander Force. But with Contra on their side, it shouldn't be a problem.

Questions at this point:
4) Since when did this alien rule earth?
5) Who is the person beside Bill listening to the president?

gearratio
11 years ago#2
*INTRO 2*
A scene in space with a station above earth. It is the year 2633 (same year as the original Contra's plot). Question 4 has been answered: It seems Chielf Salamander went back in time (...) to 1973 AD and invade Earth. They arrive at and take over the Yucatan Peninsula's (gamefaqs won't permit this next word) ruins (Central America). They plan to destroy all the primitive "Contra" on Earth. Earth is surrounded by the Zelos Force. So the galactic president sends "Contra" Lance Bean to fix this. He disappears. So Bill Rizer is sent in...

Questions at this point:
6) Who are the "Contra" in particular? Just Lance Bean and Bill Rizer or others? Is it the general population? It can't be just Lance Bean and Bill Rizer as they are in space (again, why?)...
7) Who are the Zelos Force? Neo Salamander Force? Why the name change?
8) Was Lance Bean sent to earth after Bill Rizer woke up from his sleep?
9) The biggest plot hole, revolving around the obvious paradox: If Neo Salamander Force went back to 1973 AD, they would have taken over within little (which they did) and most likely would have killed off Bill and Lance. So just how are they still alive in the game's events? DING: Let me give this away as a bonus. ANSWER: Just suspend your disbelief and assume this is how things are run...

In the player select, question 5 is answered: it's Jaguar (of Neo Contra???).

Questions at this point:
10) Why is Jaguar, of Neo Contra, in here?

After fighting your way through the space station that is infested, you're sent to earth. We now learn that the thing that greeted Bill at the beginning is a "Robot Captain" called BR-W9 aka Brownie. SHE enters the action in earth herself, after sending out a distress call to the home planet, maybe to group up the resistance force. Why did she enter the fight? She is also a Contra...

Questions at this point:
11) Could there be a connection between Brownie and Browny, apart from being cyclops robots? Perhaps this is just an homage... After battling through the city, you get a guess sketch of Chief Salamander. He looks like a creature of sorts (US and EU)/ Adolf Hitler (Japan version). He must be overthrown..

Questions at this point:
12) The sketch was obviously modified between regional distributions. Besides worrying about causing controversy over the very obvious reference to Hitler (the design and label as "dictator" should be a dead give-away), do you think there was intended impact to the gamer by the change in sketches?

gearratio
11 years ago#3
After fighting along a highway in a high-speed chase of sorts atop a truck, we see an image of a direct ripoff of a classic movie. There's a humanoid creature among Bill and Jaguar celebrating. So the "Contra" run for their freedom and emancipation (shouldn't they be fighting for their freedom :P). Question 6 is now answered: "Contra" are all fighting men, be it human or robot... or even an alien! This is evident by the joining of a new member to the force, an reptilian alien called Plissken.

Questions at this point:
13) Is Brownie really supposed to be female? That would contradict the statement describing Contras... unless that was an unintentional sexist wording :P

After fighting through a temple/fortress/tomb in a volcano, we see an image of an unusually masculine aristocratic woman... So Lance Bean is a fighter. (please tell us that's not Lance Bean). Being a guerrilla is not just about shooting guns; well, it's also about their unique skills and tactical battle strategies to kill in the jungle (PLEASE tell us it isn't also about cross-dressing! So I guess that's the part of the Iran-Contra scandal Reagen didn't want us to know about - HEYYOO! Sorry Enigmahood). Undercover as a local woman (... yep, that's Lance), he's fighting inside enemy territory. It's a Lonely Battle (yeah, if I saw a cross-dressing muscular guy fighting and in need of help, I don't think I'd jump in). Don't show the aliens mercy. Don't let this poor Contra-turned-woman's efforts go to waste!

Questions at this point:
14) About that whole woman..um... maybe... is it common these days for people to do this kind of thing when going undercover? What went through M2's minds when they chose to ruin Lance's impression on fans through this sight? On a more serious note, why did he go undercover as such a masculine woman? Red lipstick?

So you finally fight through the alien lair and by playing on proper difficulty, fight the real final boss and beat the game. Lance Bean shows up in the same helicopter from the beginning of the first level to pick you up (you can tell by the things hanging out of the helicopter).

The Galactic president gets carried away in joy over Salamander's defeat. This is the same scene as the intro, but Plissken and Brownie are in the scene. So you have helped the galactic president's cause and brought peace to the galaxy. If anything else comes up, he'll call Bill back in to fight. So now Bill can sleep...

Same scene as when Bill wakes up in the beginning near Brownie. He's about to sleep, but asks if what he did was good. OK? She agrees and says it was well done. He agrees because she says so. Now she reveals that he "WAS" Contra pfc Bill Rizer, that he fullfilled his duties and can rest in peace. He says good night; she says goodbye...

gearratio
11 years ago#4
Questions at this point:
15) Is there any particular purpose for the final boss launching mini clones of the current player character and also giggling like a girl each time the player is killed?
16) Did Bill lose part of his IQ with his memory? Why would he ask if what he did was good when practically everybody is happy with it?
17) Is the whole "if you say so" logic of Bill a running gag of humor or does this serve a purpose on his character?
18) He can rest in peace. Is she going to kill him? Partly supported by their contrasting farewells: "Goodnight" "goodbye".
19) He WAS Bill Rizer. This only thickens the plot and aggravates question 1: so this may not have been Bill Rizer at all... Then who/what is he and just what the hell went on here? Could this justify her possible killing of him implied by the "rest in peace" mentioned before?
20) Did we fight Chief Salamander at all? If that final boss was him, then damn, was that sketch made by a stoner or what? Or maybe...

ULTIMATE QUESTION (not the most important, but as a summary thing): Is this game even canon?

MAJOR SPOILERS:
*EXTRA ENDING SEQUENCE*
Plissken pulls up a gun at Brownie from behind. He says the battle ain't over yet and that Brownie let her guard down; this is the perfect oppurtunity for him (he calls her a hunk of junk... badass). By catching her off guard she managed to deduce that HE'S CHIEF SALAMANDER! Hmm, I guess the skill of catching people off guard is held only by Chief Salamander in this game's universe. Anyway, Plissken/Salamander wants her to call him Newt. He calls her an observer and asks a question because of this. She can only reply according to her permissive limitations. So he asks how she feels that many Contra were killed on the mission. She's gracious and the pres. would praise their sacrifices.

I guess this gives Newt a change of heart and he changes his ways. This is evident by his response to Brownie's follow-up question about whether he'll kill her or not. He simply says mayber later when he's not tired (yeah, right, you just don't wanna do it). She proposes (no, not marriage) that they work as a team, calling him Newt. He replies by telling her his name's Plissken (what a reference to Escape from New York).

Extra Questions
1) So as a reaction to finding out he's Salamander and dealing with him, Brownie just offers him to join. So I guess all the destruction and terrorism he caused on earth is just a tiny little memory to let go of?
2) If this is really Chief Salamander, why did he join the Contras? It certainly wouldn't be to thwart their plan as he did no such thing, give all the open chances there probably were. What if his real goal was to kill off Brownie? What were his intentions?

As a joke: No wonder Plissken is the hardest character to play as in the game! It's pretty hard to destroy your own force!

User Info: finalchoro

finalchoro
11 years ago#5
Thanks for this. The game is awesome, but the story sucks as hell
Times someone said "I agree with finalchoro": 152

gearratio
11 years ago#6
Well, that's common with the entire Contra series. It's just this one had a camp factor that I felt needed to have the story explained somehow...

User Info: finalchoro

finalchoro
11 years ago#7
Well, I considered this story to be wacky on purpose, I really didnt even looked for sense into it. I also didnt know they changed Salamander's sketch and missed the movie reference, too
Times someone said "I agree with finalchoro": 152

gearratio
11 years ago#8
Me, too. I believe they went whacko with the story intentionally. If anybody remembers Konami of America and their treatment of many Ninteno game manuals, this is almost like a reference to that; like this time, they're taking one of their manuals and putting it right in front of your face so you would at least acknowledge it.

User Info: romsnbombs

romsnbombs
11 years ago#9
I got the impression that Bill was a clone of the original bill. He appeared to come out of some sort of pod. And that his memory loss and the fact he didn't seem to know whether saving the world was good or not, was explained by that. It was just in his nature to do what he did.
2600k | GTX 750ti | P8P67-M Pro | 16GB

gearratio
11 years ago#10
That could be a possibility, but if he really is a clone, wouldn't he have retained such basic principles for life?

If they really did create a clone of him who has no sense of morale of conventional judgement, these guys on the Contra Force must be really stupid and a corrupt military organization (in a way).
  1. Boards
  2. Contra ReBirth
  3. Storyline explained (or tried to...) WARNING: SPOILERS
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A