• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon HeartGold Version
  3. Questions about the pokewalker hardware

User Info: Cyber Akuma Zero

Cyber Akuma Zero
10 years ago#1
Some questions I want to ask about this thing

1. Is the memory volatile or non-volatile?

2. If its volatile, is there any backup/recovery feature in the pokewalker or Heartgold/Soulsilver cart to recover your pokemon?

3. I heard there are routes and possibly other hidden features that you unlock, do these unlock in the pokewalker itself or on your DS cart? In other words, if you got a replacement pokewalker, would everything pokewalker-related still be unlocked because its unlocked on your DS cart or would you have to re-unlock them?

4. Does the pokewalker itself have any pokemon/route data or does your DS essentially program it with what the pokemon looks and acts like/the details of the route? Basically, are the routes/pokemon in the pokewalker hardcoded and you can never get new ones or would downloadable events or new Pokemon games that support it be able to upload new routes and pokemon into it?

5. What kind of batteries does it use?

6. Does the pokewalker pair-up with a particular DS cart similar to the way a DS cart pairs with a DS when it makes a friend code, or can you use any pokewalker with any ds/HG-SS pokemon cart provided there isn't a pokemon already inside it?
"A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation..." - Comrad Otter

User Info: pokeranger909

pokeranger909
10 years ago#2
1. it is volatile
2. there is a recovery feature that allows you to bring the pokemon from the pokewalker back to your ds (useful if you lose the pokewalker)
3. I think it would go to your ds and then next time you connect with the pokewalker, it would put in the extra courses, feature, etc
4. Courses are separate and different pokemon are in each course
5. it's a CR2032 battery
6. Only 1 pokewalker can connect to a game, but you can use a different pokewalker than yours but you'd need to erase the data. A japanese pokewalker would change the text when connected to a US HG/SS game and vice verse
Pokemon Diamond FC: 0946 2474 3204

Cyber Akuma Zero
10 years ago#3
Thank you for the replies, though I still have some questions

1. it is volatile

I know it likely has a low-power mode when it hasn't been used in a while, but I was hoping it would have a completely-off mode to save battery, but if the memory is violate then that isn't possible. Hmm, that's unfortunate, that would mean the battery WILL die over at most a year if you are lucky even if you don't use it..... and far sooner if you use it a lot, what a pain.

Hopefully the battery lasts longer than the incredibly quick-to-die VMU units for Dreamcast, and those had two batteries. Or worse, the Pocketstation.

4. Courses are separate and different pokemon are in each course

You misunderstood, I was asking if the pokwalker was programmed with the pokemon or route data, or if the DS cart itself programs pokemon and routes into the pokewalker. In other words, is there programming in the pokewalker that tells it "this is what pikachu looks like, this is what charmander looks like" etc or "this is what this route is like" or does it actually have no pokemon or route data programmed in and the game itself programs the pokewalker with with a pokemon is or what a route is like?

6. Only 1 pokewalker can connect to a game, but you can use a different pokewalker than yours but you'd need to erase the data. A japanese pokewalker would change the text when connected to a US HG/SS game and vice verse

What data do you mean? Do you mean that if I lose my pokewalker, I would need to erase my savefile on the DS cart? Or erase the data on the Pokewalker itself? Because if I have to erase the data on my DS cart and start over that is REALLY short-sighted of Nintendo, people WILL lose these things.
"A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation..." - Comrad Otter

User Info: superhat

superhat
10 years ago#4
bump, I'm interested in this info also
Sammy from Neptune
2707 5119 2649

User Info: Chaos Genesis

Chaos Genesis
10 years ago#5
4. The courses aren't so much "routes" as they are bits of coding that tell the Pokewalker what Pokemon and items to display. These courses are selected on the HG/SS game screen, so the main games probably send all the info about Pokemon/item identity to the Pokewalker, which then just implements them using a basic pseudo-random number generator.

The sprite info is probably built into the Pokewalker, as it seems highly inefficient to constantly transfer that data over every time one wishes to change courses or inserted Pokemon; the same likely holds with the basic actions a Pokemon can perform once in battle.
PKMN Diamond: 0087-3581-2804 | SSBB: 4253-3152-9910
ACCF: David @ Mac Anu 3008-2385-3167

Cyber Akuma Zero
10 years ago#6
I see, thanks.

Can anybody answer my last question then about what he meant by erasing data?

User Info: XerxesTheWizard

XerxesTheWizard
10 years ago#7
The Pokewalker will only interact with one save file at a time, meaning you can't transfer Pokemon from file to file. I'm not sure about it being able to work with multiple carts, although I don't see why it couldn't. If it is possible to link with multiple carts, I don't think a single file will be able to interact with more than one unit at a time.
He who conquers the left side conquers the world, chief.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon HeartGold Version
  3. Questions about the pokewalker hardware
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A