• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon HeartGold Version
  3. Local GameStop Tournament RMT
kaonohiokala 10 years ago#1
There's a local GameStop tournament coming up next weekend that I want to compete in. RMT, and here's the list of rules for the tourney:
Rules: Flat Battle (Lv 50), Singles, 6-on-6, 2 legendaries allowed, GRAND PRIZE POKEMON BLACK AND WHITE

Aerodactyl (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Jolly (Spe+ / SA-)
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Taunt
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

Standard suicide lead. Taunts, gets them rocks up, and/or kamikaze attacks.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant (Atk+ / SpA-)
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 10 Spe
-U-turn
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Pursuit

Standard CB Scizor. Should be able to kill/scout many common threats.

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Adamant (Atk+ / SpA-)
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-ExtremeSpeed
-Bullet Punch

Call me old-fashioned, but yes, I run BP on my SD Luke. I'm running Adamant anyways so I can't outspeed Timid Rotoms and other ones could be scarf'd. I don't see them being as too big a threat anyways, since the GameStop tournament allows legends and I have a very nice counter...

Darkrai @ Leftovers
Ability: Bad Dreams
Nature: Timid (Spe+ / Atk-)
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Dark Void
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse
-Focus Blast

Standard Sleep & Sweep Darkrai. Not sure if Sleep Clause will be in affect or not. I'll clarify day of the tournament I suppose. Since my first three Pokemon were directly transferred from my standard team, Darkrai's here to replace my Offensive CM Suicune (seeing as how Suicune counts as one of my two "legends", it's a waste of space). Not to worry though, I've still got a bulky water...

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Spacial Rend
-Thunder
-Flamethrower

As with Darkrai, Palkia's from my Uber team. This Palkia replaces my Scarf Flygon. I'm considering removing Thunder for Thunderbolt, because I'm not too sure how this Palkia will play in the mixed environment of the tournament.

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Jolly (Spe+ / SpA-)
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang

I just couldn't resist putting Garchomp on my team thanks to GameStop's rules. With my first five Pokemon being borrowed from my Standard and Uber teams, Garchomp is here to replace Dragonite (who I played similarly to Garchomp anyways).
I still support Stannis Baratheon, the one true king of Westeros.
3DS FC: 0387-9331-5533 (Ka'onohi)
(message deleted)
kaonohiokala 10 years ago#3
Um, this is for Single Battles, as stated in the rules of the first post. >_>
Bass487 10 years ago#4
Whoops fail on my part. Sorry about that (I'm used to seeing official tournaments being Double).
Bass487 10 years ago#5
Let me try this again now that I read the rules more carefully this time:

The main concern I see is one you already called, swapping Thunder for Thunderbolt. I'm not sure how many rain teams with Kyogre you'll be facing. Other than that I'm not sure.

Again sorry for my confusion, must've been half asleep earlier. :(
kaonohiokala 10 years ago#6
Ha, it's fine. But yeah, Thunderbolt vs. Thunder is one of my major concerns as of now. In fact, I'm also considering swapping ScarfPalkia for ScarfKyogre, as Scarfogre w/ Water Spout is an absolute destroyer, but then again ScarfPalkia w/ Draco Meteor has a similar destructive force, but not as frequent. Rain would also benefit Scizor and Lucario's fire weaknesses, and it would settle the moveset of my Water Uber.
Bass487 10 years ago#7
Rain would definitely help with that. I would suggest a Swift Swimmer if you can fit it in your team if you go for Kyogre. Maybe Kingdra?
kaonohiokala 10 years ago#8
Luckily, I have an extra Kyogre sitting on the side. Here's his stats:

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Water Spout
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunder

The more I think about it, the better it sounds.

Only problem is, other ScarfPalkia might give my team some problems.
Bass487 10 years ago#9
I think Kingdra outspeeds ScarfPalkia in the Rain if it runs max Speed. Plus it OHKOs with Outrage. I suggest the Substitute Kingdra set, but there might be a better one.
kaonohiokala 10 years ago#10
Hmm... Yeah, if I do swap out Palkia for Kyogre, I might as well take advantage of the rain and use Kingdra too. DD Kingdra is absolutely deadly in the rain. The problem would be who I should swap it out for. The main options would be Garchomp or Lucario.

Also, the type of Kingdra would be an issue. Subset would be nice in that it allows me to escape other Darkrai or other status-inducers, but ChestoRest is another sound option. Opinions?
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon HeartGold Version
  3. Local GameStop Tournament RMT
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A