• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon HeartGold Version
  3. The Down+B Catch Method. ITT we prove it true.

User Info: The Eternal Evil

The Eternal Evil
9 years ago#1
Yes, yes, we have the same old tired long winded arguments that because it is not coded into the game this is not possible.

Way WAY back when I played Red and Blue, I too was skeptical that such a trick could even remotely, possibly be true. However, like all curious people, unless it is way to hard a task, you gotta try it at least a few times.

A few times I did in fact try, with Legends, with Pokemon, with anything that could be caught. Because this method, while it never worked 100% of the time worked more often then doing nothing.

In later years Hackers would come out, and say with definitive proof that there was nothing that caused the catch rate to increase by pressing any buttons.

Yet to this day my method still works. Down+B, it brings me Pokemon that I would never expect to catch, with HP levels that they should never be caught at. Full HP.

So confident I am that this method works over doing nothing with the pressing of keys. That conducting this test I not only leave the Pokemon at full HP, but I am catching Pokemon in victory Road, with the Basic Pokeball, to prove my tried and true Method correct.

The Down+B Trick, while never 100% accurate, seems to have an effect on the random number generator from my observations.

What this test is trying to conclude?

That the Down+B trick is a functioning, working trick, and leads to more successful catches then doing nothing. This is proven by leaving the Pokemon at full HP.

Now nothing screams evidence more then doing something a lot of times. So I intend to throw 400, that's right 400 Pokeballs using each method in Victory Road.

That is 800 Balls thrown.

I will tell you which method caught the most Pokemon, which method caught the least, I will also tell you which Pokemon took far longer to catch then others.

If neither method is better and it is all determined based off the catch rate formula, and there is nothing a player can do to change the outcome by pressing buttons. (Because we all know we can't effect the random number generator by pressing buttons right?) Then each method should be able to catch a comparable number of Pokemon to the other using 400 balls.

Maybe not the exact same, but a close to the same amount, and the same diversity.

ITT I will do what I did with Dragon Quest 8. When everyone said a Low level game could not be done, I showed it to be true. I did it myself. Still people refuted the results.

I will show you with the thing that people seem to desire most. Evidence that Pokemon are caught better using the Down+B method, then they are by pushing nothing after throwing a ball.

800 innocent Pokeballs have the chance of dying in this film. Stay tuned.
The only reason Sonic still gets a free ride is because of Nostalgia. Please don't let other franchises become like his. Support genuine innovation today!

User Info: UltraVi0lence

UltraVi0lence
9 years ago#2
To keep it a fair test wouldn't you need to use 800 on the same pokemon at the same level?

Some pokemon may just be easier to catch etc.
http://i39.tinypic.com/30wq9lz.jpg

User Info: Queen_of_Owls

Queen_of_Owls
9 years ago#3
Are you kidding about this. Are you kidding? I saw you arguing yesterday about this.

It's not true.
If you want to prove it, hack the game yourself and find it out.
It simply isn't true.
A run down broke machine that steals your piece of mind before you know it's gone.
http://www.turtle-with-cancer.deviantart.com/

User Info: ASTROID2

ASTROID2
9 years ago#4
lol i remember doing that in the yellow version it doesn't work to good on mewtwo.
I'm the best pokemon master ever.
Soul Silver forever.

User Info: crazyjp

crazyjp
9 years ago#5
Catching a Bidoof at full health doesn't mean it works.
3008-0323-3318-Brawl fc
0774-7555-2440-Diamond FC

User Info: ReelBigMurlocs

ReelBigMurlocs
9 years ago#6
Are you kidding about this. Are you kidding? I saw you arguing yesterday about this.

It's not true.
If you want to prove it, hack the game yourself and find it out.
It simply isn't true.

I've hacked many, many games before and although it's pretty easy to sucessfully hack the game in certain ways, others, like what you're claiming has "Been combed through by hackers with negative results" is almost an impossibility to find within the string of a game's code. Trust me, I've been hacking games since the Gameboy Color, and using my own personal methods to find my own hacks and cheats (That means doing something and finding all possible values, then doing something else and finding the changed code strings. This is how you find Pokemon modifers, as well as infinite items.)

What you're describing just can't be done. There is absolutely no way to just look at a string of numbers and know specifically what it does, without careful testing.

User Info: LightningKimba

LightningKimba
9 years ago#7
The reason why it worked before is because the games before 4th gen apparently reacted to control combinations at a certain frame. Hell, you could even make all the moves you make critical hits, but only if you knew what frame to hit a certain key of combination on.

It's weird, but it's still being studied on many fan sites iirc.

User Info: The Eternal Evil

The Eternal Evil
9 years ago#8
Heh, curious, are you afraid that you might just be wrong? That what you believe about the Pokeball formula might have a value that hasn't been observed to heavily yet?

I say only one thing, that using the method improves the chances, it guarantees nothing, but it is better then doing nothing.

Who has gone out of their way to test so many Normal Pokeballs on level 41 and higher Pokemon?

Who has gone out of their way to test it using both methods.

You can either believe the results when you see them, or choose not to. It didn't stop people on the Dragon Quest 8 Boards. I assure you it won't stop people here.

What this does is show people potential answers.

If you are afraid if it feel free to ignore it. I have no reason to lie to any of you about the results however, so stay tuned, if it is true about the formula, both tests should come close to each other.

At which time, it will be both proven from the coding in the game, and some maniacal effort of catching level 41 and up Pokemon on victory road with normal Pokeballs and not doing anything to them.

Whichever comes first.
The only reason Sonic still gets a free ride is because of Nostalgia. Please don't let other franchises become like his. Support genuine innovation today!

User Info: ShadowArticuno

ShadowArticuno
9 years ago#9
You know, the method really isn't something programmed into the game, but it is sort of a psychological thing that works on your mind - You feel a little more hopeful because "Oh, the trick didn't work this time, maybe next time" probably races through your head.

In all truth, though, I stopped using the trick when Platinum came out and catching wasn't any harder for me.
D:

User Info: brandedboy

brandedboy
9 years ago#10
This is sad. The down+B thing is just something people made up. And when it really works but not by any means of 'down+B'. People actually believe it. It happened but it could also happen WITHOUT the 'down+B'.

When down+B succeed, u say 'SEE IT WORKS!'
When down+B fail, u say 'ure unlucky, it doesnt work everytime etc.etc'

There is NO proof at all that it work anyhow, anyway. Because you do it all the time, sometime it just happen BUT it could also happen WITHOUT it. Do you get it? It doesn't mean you caught a pokemon because you hold down + b = it works. It doesn't make a DIFFERENCE if you press it or not. IT DOESN'T.
PLATINUM FC: 3996 2840 0783
BLACKACE FC: 0646 3752 4641
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon HeartGold Version
  3. The Down+B Catch Method. ITT we prove it true.
  • Topic Archived