• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Astro Boy: The Video Game
  3. Well, the game is a bare pass.

User Info: Luuthian

Luuthian
9 years ago#1
Bought it today. I regretted it 10 minutes in.

The back of the case shows what appears to be Omega Factor inspired artwork, and the game indeed is strongly influenced by that title. The problem is the execution is a hundred times worse.

The controls are incredibly sloppy. Astro slides when he walks so you can never come to a full stop, nor can you tap the button to move. It's like pushing a crate over ice. The special attacks are useless, and the game has nothing but two basic attack buttons. One punches and one kicks, just like OF... Only in this game they do the EXACT SAME THING. You have no access to your lasers or anything either. You can only punch and kick unless you use your special meter.

Things just get worse beyond that though. The camera is god awful, and forces you to jump blindly everywhere. Bosses are obviously treasure inspired, but they're so horribly programed that they're almost impossible to defeat even on the easiest settings (boss barely give any indication they're being hurt, and their attacks are brutal). Levels are incredibly bland, and are literally just pallete swaps in some cases. The flying levels are terrible too, and bleeeghhh...

There's so much I want to go into, but I don't want to do a full scale review. All I'm going to say is DON'T BUY THIS BECAUSE YOU HOPE IT'S GOING TO RESEMBLE OMEGA FACTOR. Don't let the OF like artwork on the back of the case fool you. The game tries to imitate the GBA title just like the developer said it would, but it's nothing like the original game.
The power is in your mind, to shake the planets and conquer time
Where's Waldo married Carmen Sandiego... And no one found their wedding! ¬.¬

User Info: dlowrey

dlowrey
9 years ago#2

Thanks for the warning!

I was wondering what was up with this game, because there are no screen shots or videos for it.

User Info: erbastez

erbastez
9 years ago#3
noooooooooo...I hope the PS2 version is way better than TC described this.

User Info: spectermaster14

spectermaster14
9 years ago#4
I'm gonna give it a try anyway, just for the tiny hope that I might see some Omega Factor in there. If it's really THAT bad, I'll post back with confirmation. I trust you, TC, I'm just not willing to believe. ;_;
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.
- Edward Blake

Luuthian
9 years ago#5
Hahaha, I look forward to hearing what you though of it :-P

User Info: conker516

conker516
9 years ago#6
I bought it today

Luuthian
9 years ago#7
And?...

User Info: clubhaxor

clubhaxor
9 years ago#8

Oh thanks for that review the screens at Play Asia make the game look really good so I was thinking of getting it just waiting on a few reviews...so looks like a no so far :P

spectermaster14
9 years ago#9
I just got it. Getting ready to try it now. I'll post some impressions in a bit.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.
- Edward Blake

spectermaster14
9 years ago#10
Oh god, it sucks. The controls are sluggish, the jumping is way off, the sound effects make me wanna take a cheese grater to my ear drums, the character designs are hideous (but I guess that's the movie's fault), it tries way too hard to be Omega Factor but fails in so many ways. I really should've listened to you, TC. >.>
- Edward Blake
  1. Boards
  2. Astro Boy: The Video Game
  3. Well, the game is a bare pass.
  • Topic Archived