• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout: New Vegas
  3. Unused Landspace

User Info: Lonewolf80

Lonewolf80
1 month ago#1
For those who have ever used the 'tcl' command, did you ever no clip past the boundaries of New Vegas? Just curious because there is so much unused map space it's unreal. You can go for miles and miles before you finally reach the end and drop into a never ending ocean.

I just wondered why a game company like Obsidian would waste so much map space. They could have easily filled it up with more towns and places of interested but it's just a desolate area full of nothingness. It's a complete waste.

Anyone have theories?
Excuse me, I have a mushroom cloud to walk into.

User Info: ArcPistol

ArcPistol
1 month ago#2
The game was supposed to have more locations and more to explore, but plenty was cut.

This is an early map of Fallout New Vegas showed by Chris Avellone at Rezzed 2013:

https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/5/1/6/AAeK7lAAAjCc.jpg

As you can see, there are locations on the other side of the Colorado, but in the game there is nothing to see except the Fort and the Legate's camp. The area west of Goodsprings also have locations, but you can't go there.

Lonewolf80 posted...

I just wondered why a game company like Obsidian would waste so much map space. They could have easily filled it up with more towns and places of interested but it's just a desolate area full of nothingness. It's a complete waste.

Anyone have theories?

The game has an insane amount of cut content, it was developed in 18 months and had plenty of bugs at the release (I know, I played the very first version) and console limitations also played a role (the Strip and Freeside were supposed to be open without having gates separating the areas, just to name one).
(edited 1 month ago)

Lonewolf80
1 month ago#3
Okay, mystery solved. It seems such a shame that so much was cut. The rezzed map looks pretty amazing. I think porting it to consoles was a bad idea as the consoles memory was shocking. 256MB I heard for the PS3. That's a lot of cutting to squeeze it into that pathetic amount of memory. Also, not to mention the insanely short development time that Bethesda imposed on them.

I will have a glance on the Nexus and see if I can find mods that can replace this lost content.

User Info: Radar

Radar
1 month ago#4
That looks more like the map for the canceled Fallout 3.
Bring back v12!
PSN/Steam/Uplay: Action_Slacks

User Info: red255

red255
1 month ago#5
Lonewolf80 posted...
Okay, mystery solved. It seems such a shame that so much was cut.
there are numerous youtube videos explaining exactly what happened. the main issue is fallout 3 and 4 are qualified dogs***. Fallout 4 can be saved with mods because the gunplay is fine and the community made mods for it. but fallout 4 without mods is fallout 76 and everyone universally hates it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K450Ozze9k4
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.

Lonewolf80
1 month ago#6
red255 posted...
there are numerous youtube videos explaining exactly what happened. the main issue is fallout 3 and 4 are qualified dogs***. Fallout 4 can be saved with mods because the gunplay is fine and the community made mods for it. but fallout 4 without mods is fallout 76 and everyone universally hates it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K450Ozze9k4

Alas we are unable to access YouTube in China, but I have still managed to find some on the equivalents here. Triangle City has done an intensive channel about it. It's a shame so much got cut, it had such potential.

User Info: Rotpar

Rotpar
1 month ago#7
Somebody has probably modded that back in by now.
"But don't give up hope. Everyone is cured sooner or later. In the end we shall shoot you." - O'Brien, 1984

User Info: GhostLink92

GhostLink92
4 weeks ago#8
I noclipped past the gate at Ranger Outpost, and I agree. There's a lot of good, rendered land to put stuff on. I'm sure engine limitations, deadlines, etc, stopped them. I really hate that Obsidian gets screwed over like that. They get the short end of the stick on both Kotor 2 and New Vegas, developmentally, but both games were still amazing.

And as soon as they get free reign with Outer Worlds, it's mostly forgettable. Probably a different team by now, but give 2009 Obsidian as much time and money as they need, and they would've made the best Star Wars or Fallout game ever made.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout: New Vegas
  3. Unused Landspace
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A