• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout: New Vegas
  3. Getting persistent lag since visiting Bitter Springs. Please help.

User Info: TommyOh

TommyOh
2 months ago#1
So I've been in the middle of a playthrough for a little while now, did one of the DLCs and been through a good portion of the map but I still have a lot to do. Unfortunately this playthrough might be ever because ever since I visited Bitter Springs with Boone my save has been plagued with awful frame drops.

If I load a different character's save, I get smooth 60fps in all the areas I tested. However on my current character's save it fluctuates wildly barely able to stay in the 30fps range no matter where I go. My game is decently modded but nothing too extensive. I have Stutter Remover and tried a fix online where I change a variable in the config from 1 to 0, didn't work.

Any other possible fixes? I really don't want to abandon this playthrough but it's unplayable with these constant framedrops.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: redtide1962

redtide1962
2 months ago#2
"My game is decently modded but nothing too extensive."

I have a hard time taking anyone who says stuff like this seriously, but I'll try to help. Exploring the map does increase your save file size, and on consoles this is a big factor in affecting load times and frame rates. However, on PC this isn't really an issue unless you're already playing with a compromised system. Like a 10+ year old machine, which is fairly common for players playing the game every now and then. What isn't common is players playing for 40+ hours, and that does start to take its toll on the playability of the game. Most notably, starting each of the DLCs.

However, in your case it is almost certainly due to your mods. There might not even be a conflict or anything acting out of the ordinary, but your system clearly can't handle whatever you've got set up. There is some truth to the Bitter Springs area because it is actually an area of the game that some players simply cannot access (the game will freeze or crash once you're sort of deep within the cell, although it varies from person to person).

Similar areas exist but this is the most notable. Chances are you don't have a weak machine, but the game is handling something poorly and you almost certainly have a mod that exacerbates it.

That all being said, here's my best advice:

1) Try going back into whichever DLC you ran (assuming it isn't Dead Money) and see if that area of the game has similar issues (ie: not the Mojave Wasteland). This won't solve much on its own but it will help later if you can find some place that works normally. Don't start a new DLC at this time; this is just a quick observation that should only take a couple of minutes of your time.

2) Try to complete Boone's quest in Bitter Springs. This is a potential fix if you haven't finished your business there yet. Your problem might just disappear afterwards. Spoilers in case you haven't done it before you're already at the end of his companion quest. There's a few encounters at Bitter Springs and a handful of powerful moments with Boone in that area, so it's a shame that your playthrough is being partially ruined by this framerate problem.

3) After doing those two things, try loading your file that is having the framerate issue by disabling a few mods at a time, to see if there's any improvement (to the framerate). This can help you figure out which one is amplifying the problem and it might be possible that a complication with how the game handles that area of the game (which is known to have issues for many players, especially on console). So a possible fix would be to figure out which mod is compromised by the poor coding/design that plagues that part of the game (since it affects the rest of the Mojave too, for some reason).
(edited 2 months ago)

TommyOh
2 months ago#3
redtide1962 posted...
"My game is decently modded but nothing too extensive."

I have a hard time taking anyone who says stuff like this seriously, but I'll try to help.
I don't know why you took issue with that statement; its true. I don't have any lighting mods, texture mods, etc. The biggest and most intricate mod I have installed is most likely A World of Pain and the Nevada Skies mod + frozen wasteland for a winter effect. I've used all these mods on several playthroughs of the game and they've never given me issue. My game in particular is pretty stable and crashes very rarely (for a gamebryo game at least) The rest of my mods would be armor mods, alternate start mod and NCR Commander. All mods I've had installed for years that haven't given me issue. Considering the lengths I've seen others take their modding to, I didn't find what I'd done to be extensive modding.
What isn't common is players playing for 40+ hours,
Really? Only 40+ hours usually means I abandoned my playthrough before finishing it. Maybe I'm particularly slow, but a game like this that has tons of exploring and traveling 40 hours is light.
However, in your case it is almost certainly due to your mods. There might not even be a conflict or anything acting out of the ordinary, but your system clearly can't handle whatever you've got set up.
I find this doubtful for the very specific reason that other saves (with the same mods obviously) load up and run just fine. In the Mojave Outpost I'll get 20-40fps on my current character but a smooth 60 on everyone else.
There is some truth to the Bitter Springs area because it is actually an area of the game that some players simply cannot access (the game will freeze or crash once you're sort of deep within the cell, although it varies from person to person).
For me Bitter Springs has always been plagued with issues. I would get constant crashes when attempting to travel further into the camp. On this playthrough I thought I was lucky since all I got were performance issues in the form of frame drops, but they stuck with me everywhere I went. I didn't encounter any performance issues after leaving the DLC (Honest Hearts) and had even done some quests between then and going to Bitter Springs.
That all being said, here's my best advice:
Thanks for the advice. I've already finished Boone's quest and unfortunately the problems persisted. I'll try disabling mods as you recommended.
If you or anyone else has some more possible solutions I'm all ears.

User Info: redtide1962

redtide1962
2 months ago#4
indoors areas and/or the general honest hearts area are also stable 60 fps, right?

TommyOh
2 months ago#5
redtide1962 posted...
indoors areas and/or the general honest hearts area are also stable 60 fps, right?
On other characters, indoor areas were fine. Even loaded up an old system save made right before the end of the game on an old character and that was running fine too. Something about visiting Bitter Springs just placed a curse on my game.

I tried some of what you said and unfortunately nothing worked. Disabling my mods didn't fix anything, went back to Honest Hearts and unfortunately the lag followed me there. Tried a few other things I found while searching for answers and still no luck. Ultimately I've decided to delete that save file and start anew.

If anyone is reading this, stay the hell away from Bitter Springs.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout: New Vegas
  3. Getting persistent lag since visiting Bitter Springs. Please help.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A