• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout: New Vegas
  3. Eddie thinks I am working against him (no more dynamite deal)

User Info: sirwilliam0101

sirwilliam0101
11 months ago#1
ive been searching for the cause of this for days and have come up with nothing. maybe you can help

i sided with the powder gangers from the start and violently took over goodsprings. I then went on to do the quest "I fought the law" and tipped off Eddie to the NCR attack. The quest completed and I killed the NCR attackers.

Now Eddie is chillin in his office and when i ask for dynamite he says "Nope, not for you. Rumor is you've been working against us, so the deal's off."

I am LIKED by the powder gangers, ive tried setting my negative rep to zero and it hasnt helped. after he says the above line, the only option now is "Goodbye." Anyone else experience this or have a solution?

My only thought is that before "I fought the Law" i completed "My Kind of town" and I got Meyers to be the sherriff of Primm and Eddie doesnt like that? Now that I think about it I may have accidentally exploded Beagle while in the hotel...
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/Wudien/stats/356609841/pc/
FC: 2852 8152 9579

User Info: redtide1962

redtide1962
11 months ago#2
Alright well I looked through some old saves and found one where I was Liked with the Powder Gangers.

I had carefully avoided the inexplicably hostile powder gangers that I knew about, and finished all of their quests generally in favor of them (the ones that give reputation). It's about 33 hours into the game, and the next save I have is Idolized.

So I loaded it up to see if I could remember what I had done. It was ~33 hours in and it had 65 of the ~70 named side quests completed.
I went to the NCRF and Dawes was lying dead, probably to the hostile wild dogs out front.
Meyers was not the sheriff, as I had used the NCR Sergeant for that on this playthrough.

I went into the next building, up the stairs to Eddie, and asked him for Dynamite. My reputation was Liked and I had completed all of the Powder Gangers quests (except for "Run Goodsprings, Run", "Ghost Town Gunfight", or the Lonesome Road finale that can award a huge amount of powder ganger rep). The option to ask him for "spare powder and dynamite" was there, darkened, and he responded with

EDDIE: "We're out at the moment. Come back later."

Although I picked this out of an old save, I'm positive I had all of the powder ganger quests done in this playthrough relatively early on, as I had specifically planned everything out in order to make a character that could complete without console commands: every possible side quest, unmarked quest (repeatables at least once), and every challenge, making sure to take all of the crappy challenge-related perks like cannibal, mysterious stranger, miss fortune, and saving each DLC for when I was already level 50. Most of this was for the hell of it, but it's like having a completionist's perfect game, even though I am absolutely not a completionist. I just love this game. Anyway, I still have the exact order I did every quest in (it's mostly alphabetical) and I promise that it had been days since I had "received dynamite from Eddie", and yet returning to him does not let me receive any.

Then I exhausted his other dialogue options (mostly all darkened), and said goodbye.
Interestingly, the reputation went from Liked to Idolized.
I talked to him again, and asked him for powder and dynamite and he gave me some.
This must have been the reputation you get for "I Fought the Law", that I hadn't cashed in on after completing the quest.
My next available save file had already done this apparently, although I hadn't asked him for powder or dynamite in that one.

Then I got on here to respond to you. Hope that helps but it's possible that you need to change your reputation in some way to update his dialogue restriction. Like you are only allowed to answer once, and maybe some minor negative reputation prevented you from getting it in the past (while Liked). I know my situation is different from yours, but technically my reputation was Liked at the time and I also could not receive supplies from him, although his dialogue was different.

Nonetheless, my advice is to keep playing and do the remaining quests to achieve Idolized reputation (you've done Run Goodsprings, Run, so you should be there already... but maybe you can squeeze out a little more to get from Liked to Idolized).

If I'm not mistaken, that would be saving the powder gangers from the Legion (preferably with Boone as a companion if you care for his quest), and the Vault 19 quest "Why Can't We Be Friends?" siding preferably with Samuel Cooke over Philip Lem due to a myriad of bugs, but save before you start the quest because I think it's possible to gain slightly more Powder Ganger reputation by working with both of them, then finishing in favor of Philip Lem. This stuff is super complicated though, but if you're interested I can give you the reputation values for each quest if this doesn't get you to Idolized.

Long story short, I do believe getting Idolized will fix your problem and that will supersede Eddie's "less than favorable" dialogue option.

sirwilliam0101
11 months ago#3
thanks for the reply. I will report back when my fame has increased.

Though, it is odd that you have the option to get dynamite (though it doesnt complete, not even 3 days later) and I am stuck with GOODBYE.
ParanoidObsessive 11 months ago#4
No clue if this would effect things in any way, but have you done the Vault quest with Cooke and Lem? If so, how did you complete it?

That might be monkey-wrenching things a bit for you.

If not, you may be hitting an arbitrary hidden limit where you can only ask for so much dynamite at any given level of reputation (which might also explain why redtide wasn't able to ask for more dynamite until his reputation increased in his file).

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

sirwilliam0101
11 months ago#5
Completed "Why Cant We Be Friends?" On Lem's behalf. Now Idolized with the Gangers. Returned to Eddie and the only dialogue option is "Goodbye."

Something got messed up somewhere. FWIW I am nearly certain I never incurred negative reputation from the Powder Gangers.

User Info: jurbanik

jurbanik
11 months ago#6
The one time I sided with them I also had things glitch out. I think too many other quests can mess things up that it's better to either be neutral or kill all of them.

Besides explosives are one of the worst weapons in the whole game. At least for me as I never could get them to actually be a viable option.
I said it in 2015 and will say it again. Trump will win the election.

User Info: redtide1962

redtide1962
11 months ago#7
About explosives, they are certainly some of (if not the) hardest "type" of weapon to use. Especially as a primary skill.
At least this game has far better options than Fallout 3, and investing in Explosives in this game gives you access to other goodies like Hit the Deck (which I think is one of the better ways to prevent random deaths in this game).

In theory, the grenade rifles (or machine guns) are obscenely powerful.
My favorites are the cheap/efficient and moddable 25mm Grenade APW, and arguably the most damaging weapon in the game: Mercy.

The problem is that you need several things to make them function in battle, like Hit the Deck (so you don't kill yourself), a reasonable source of grenades (like the boomers armorer), possibly one or more carry weight perks like Strong Back or Pack Rat, and possibly excess skill and perk points for Explosives and Demolitionist. This sounds simple enough but in practice it is actually a great investment, and when you get it all set up it's far too easy to notice the real problem with these weapons... because you will crash your game trying to use any of the grenade rifles/machine guns and it leaves one of the worst feelings you can have in this game. It is literally the only reason why I don't sit around here arguing for Mercy as the strongest/best weapon in the whole game.

Beyond that, early on Dynamite is pretty cool to use with or without VATS, and later on stuff like MFC clusters are incredibly fun (and effective), and throughout the DLCs you will inevitably find situations and opportunities where you can try to use a lot of little gadgets and explosives that you've never touched before, and each DLC has some kind of new explosives for you to try out and it at least feels okay if you use it as a primary skill, but not necessarily your only way of fighting. Furthermore, Satchel Charges are remarkably overpowered and although they are difficult/impossible to use effectively for the player, the satisfaction of using them to overcome otherwise difficult challenges (like using them to fight deathclaws when you're in a tight spot) is unparalleled, in my opinion.

Overall, because of how limited and absolutely pointless explosives were in Fallout 3, I really feel like New Vegas has the right setup for them, and the only real thing holding them back is the horrible crashing that you might encounter with such a build.

User Info: jurbanik

jurbanik
11 months ago#8
I tried an explosives build once but gave it up. You need too many perks like:

Heave Ho, Demolition Expert x 3, Hit the Deck (level 12), Splash Damage and Spray n' Pray.

Not to mention till level 12-14 you are killing things without explosives for the most part and pretty bad at it as you place skills there instead of in guns. On hardcore I almost always kill any companion I'm with.

It could be that I just really suck at this type of build and don't know how to play it. But I don't know how you can use the build and exclusively use explosives. For example take the thugs that attack you almost every time you enter Freeside. Using explosives I end up killing the neutral guy along with the thug. So I have to either have my companion do it or use a gun. Or when mobs are in your face I drop a satchel charge and usually kill my companion. I too would die if not for Duck n' Cover. But even then I sometimes take damage.

Having said that using a grenade launcher or the rocket launcher is pretty cool as long as you can keep your distance.
I said it in 2015 and will say it again. Trump will win the election.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout: New Vegas
  3. Eddie thinks I am working against him (no more dynamite deal)
  • Topic Archived