• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout: New Vegas
  3. Installing from the retail disc

User Info: Silverblade357

Silverblade357
9 years ago#1
To those who got up this morning hoping to play the game ASAP, I'm betting you're pretty pissed about having to download via Steam. It's great for background updates, but most of us want it at once. So here is how you download from the disc.

Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm. It will clear out downloaded data.
Insert the first disc into your computer.
Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
Press Windows Key + R to open Run
In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.

Another member, Runner_Style put this up earlier and it does work. It took just under thirty minutes to install while I was having breakfast. I have to get done with some work before playing, but I'm looking forward to it.

User Info: blingbling078

blingbling078
9 years ago#2
will doing it this way allow us to update and have steam recognize it correctly?

i dnot want to not be able to play this tonite and i dont leave my laptop on all nite to let steam dl the regular way thats why i bought the dumb disc

User Info: lVlAtlZiX

lVlAtlZiX
9 years ago#3
if u have the disk it will always install from it for me for any steam gm. These people probably waiting got the gm from steam digitally.

User Info: blingbling078

blingbling078
9 years ago#4
i dont understand delete downloaded content. i havent downloaded anything on this gaem im confused im buying the retail disc. do u have to d/l something before u buy a retail game?

User Info: six_sick_six

six_sick_six
9 years ago#5
good to know, using pay as you go broadband on na usb dongle for at least another 2 weeks, ordered fo:nv to keep me occupied until i can get back online properly, at £10 a gigabyte i would cry if it tried to m a ke me download the whole game
xbox live tag: Trooper Sicks

User Info: Silverblade357

Silverblade357
9 years ago#6
What you're doing is ordering stream to read it from the disk, the system installed some manner of update immediately after it was done uploading. So yes, Steam will recognize it.

User Info: mortal888

mortal888
9 years ago#7

This was very helpful to me. Thank you!

User Info: natural_rhythm

natural_rhythm
9 years ago#8
Very useful instructions, I appreciate the help!

User Info: AmZD

AmZD
9 years ago#9
Or you can, you know, open the Disk Drive partition (right click, open) and double click the only executable located there, it will basically do the same thing.

And no man, the game was ready for pre-load a few days ago, that means anyone that got it from Steam and checked the service in the past few days, has already downloaded the game client, so no, the disk is just for show, it doesn't give you absolutely no advantage over anyone that got it directly from Steam, maybe except a better price depending where you got it.

User Info: Bat_Pot

Bat_Pot
9 years ago#10
Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm. It will clear out downloaded data.
Insert the first disc into your computer.
Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
Press Windows Key + R to open Run
In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -install D:

didn't work; just forced me to login to steam, and it started re-downloading the files again.

also,
Or you can, you know, open the Disk Drive partition (right click, open) and double click the only executable located there, it will basically do the same thing.

...doesn't work either; "Setup.exe" just launches Steam as normal, and "SteamService.exe" seems to do nothing.

this is powerfully stupid, because you can see right there on the disc that there are 4 SID files of ~1.5gb that are no doubt the game data...
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout: New Vegas
  3. Installing from the retail disc
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A