• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout: New Vegas
  3. To me, this just doesn't *feel* right

User Info: tom_cat_01

tom_cat_01
9 years ago#1

maybe it's the colours, or the amount of people everywhere...or all the electricity. But, to me, this doesn't feel like the post-apocalyptic desperate struggle for survival that Fallout 3 did. It feels more like a western, with dotted dilapodated farms/huts scattred about rather than bombed ruins inhabited by desperate scavengers.

I guess, the feel of the game just doesn't seem as desperate and lonely as Falllout 3, which I kinda miss.

Plus, the ammo customisation is confusing.

tom_cat_01
9 years ago#2

And the fact that birds show up on your radar sucks.

User Info: danny_valentin

danny_valentin
9 years ago#3
That's the whole point. Historically, thanks to Mr. House and lots of under-the-table deals(not to mention a LOT of Vaults in a relatively narrow area), Vegas got hit MUCH less severely than the rest of the States. The Capitol Wasteland got hit so bad because, since it's the CAPITOL of the United States, it was a strategic target for Chinese a-bombs.

And because of that relative lack of damage, both environmental and structural, it's got a huge target painted on it for all the factions in the Wasteland. Hell, the only reason the Enclave doesn't have a presence is because the Chosen One kicked their ass a few decades before during Fallout 2.

tom_cat_01
9 years ago#4

but don't get me wrong; I'm enjoying it.

User Info: NoVATSinmyCOD

NoVATSinmyCOD
9 years ago#5
The point of the game it wasn't hit by any bombs and NCR has taken majority of the place over.
The war didn't just happen this is the time in phase where people are finally recovering and starting
to rebuild hence mr house.
FO3 was scattered alot of the people thought there settlement was the only one left there.

tom_cat_01
9 years ago#6

I know that's the point, I just prefered the color and atmosphere of 3. it was darker.

User Info: warstomp

warstomp
9 years ago#7

tom_cat_01 posted...

I know that's the point, I just prefered the color and atmosphere of 3. it was darker.

Actually I would say this game is much darker. There is more serious issues and problems and it includes a lot more brutal topics like rape and crucifying people on stakes. I felt this game was darker but, it definantly had a western feel to it, I wouldnt say the inhabitants don't feel desperate though. Most of the factions and people are suffering from one problem or another. The factions themselves and the issues felt darker to me in this game. Atleast that is just how I saw it.

User Info: HackIMOQ

HackIMOQ
9 years ago#8
it may seem flashier but the struggle for survival continues, with two forces, an army from California trying to create a united government again to spread law and order and control (they even have paper currency) and a huge group of idealistic slaver zealots from the East in a war over what is centered around an extremely valuable and exceedingly rare resource, something that cant be built again in post-apocalyptic times, to be honest - a massive dam, hydroelectricity, enough to, where if they woudl get that and HELIOS One fully-powered again, would give the controlling party a massive amount of power over the area. it's survival, just on a larger, less-than-bleak scale, with greater consequences for the future survival of a chunk of the human race
"If something cannot go wrong at all, it will go wrong in a very spectacular way."

User Info: danny_valentin

danny_valentin
9 years ago#9
As an old-school fan of the Fallout series, i was specifically waiting for New Vegas to see just how colorful and whole the setting was gonna be compared to the previous games, so I'm enjoying it a lot. It's pretty jarring to jump into a puddle of water and realize it's CLEAN water. It's interesting to see actual animals, too, instead of just mutated creatures, as plentiful as they are in the game, anyway.

User Info: kirkonacid

kirkonacid
9 years ago#10
I'd have to agree that this game is far darker than Fallout 3. While a majority of 3 was very dark, the main plotline centered around hope. That's what I got out of it anyways.

There's glimmers of hope in this game, but when I walk into a town like Nipton, it feels extremely dark. Hope in this game is fleeting. They have power, less radiation, and growth, but still everything is going wrong for everyone.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout: New Vegas
  3. To me, this just doesn't *feel* right
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A