Never played Fallout but am interested. Would this be a good place to start?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout: New Vegas
  3. Never played Fallout but am interested. Would this be a good place to start?

User Info: MrDrSirLord1337

MrDrSirLord1337
3 months ago#11
HipHopBeats posted...

Both games have their pros and cons. Ultimately, you should experience both and decide for yourself which one you enjoyed more. Whichever game people prefer, one thing many Fallout vets can agree on, is that they're both better than Fallout 4.

I can agree with this.
I always say Fallout 4 is a good game, just not good as a Fallout title.
I know humor is easy to misunderstand on the internet so try not to take anything rude I say the wrong way, I don't want to offend.
Also MultiPlatformMasterRace

User Info: Mariofan15

Mariofan15
3 months ago#12
Asking here is a big mistake.This board has fanboys that will insist this is the best one to start with even though 3 is just as good.I wouldnt bother with the first two fallouts though.They're both outdated and just play badly.Honestly,play through 3,then this and if you want to,4.
3DS FC:3454-6183-7999
Pokemon White 2 National Dex Completed:9/26/2013

User Info: MrDrSirLord1337

MrDrSirLord1337
3 months ago#13
Mariofan15 posted...

Honestly when I play 1&2 they don't feel dated, more retro.
3 and NV feel dated though, especially trying to return to them after playing something like 4.
And I'm biased towards NV so me saying NV is dated is something.
I know humor is easy to misunderstand on the internet so try not to take anything rude I say the wrong way, I don't want to offend.
Also MultiPlatformMasterRace

User Info: RebornKusabi

RebornKusabi
3 months ago#14
I'm not at all a Fallout purist, and I would say start here. It's far more playable and balanced than Fallout 3 ('balance' insofar as gameplay is smoother, the mechanics are more refine, weapon selection is MUCH larger and companions in this are more distinct than 4 (although it ties with 2).

I started with 3, then played 1 and 2 (and Tactics, and Brotherhood of Steel, which has Slipknot in boss fights lol), then this.

I think one of the reasons I advise this one is it actually feels like society has started to move on. For 3, I get it. For 1, I get it, but for Fallout 4? Society should be bouncing back roughly 280 years after the bombs fell.

Beyond that all, I actually think I connect far more with the story in New Vegas than any other game in the series (besides BoS but that's cause I like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Slipknot). The story of NV allows far more... role playing, I guess, to it than the others and even beyond that, the writing and dialogue are mountains above the others.

There's just a quirkiness to this game that gives it that sc-fi western feel. If it wasn't for the sci-fi elements and nuke backstory, this would be a fantastic western game (which it already is).
PS4- RebornKusabi | XBL- RevivedKusabi | Steam- kusabi | Switch- (Kusabi) SW-3718-0869-5962 | Battle.net- Kusabi#1181
Yes, it's a great place to start. Speaking from experience. Never played 1 or 2, got way into FNV well after it was released, then got in a quick run at Fallout 3 in preparation for Fallout 4. All 3 are good games, but FNV is the best at getting deep into the role playing aspect. Fallout 3 has you chasing after your dad, and Fallout 4 has a voiced protagonist and a family man/woman storyline. FNV has you as just a courier who gets wronged and from there you can go any number of ways.
Cover your knees up if you're gonna be walkin' around everywhere.

User Info: ClackMan

ClackMan
3 months ago#16
Psst, you guys. Seems like the pt2 might be one of those trolls you read about.
DON'T Follow me on: Twitter @ClackOff / Stardust: ClackMan / YouTube: ClackMan / Twitch: ClackMan
(message deleted)

User Info: Lonewolf80

Lonewolf80
3 months ago#18
I'm quite a big fan of the Fallout series, I would highly recommend you to try it. Fallout New Vegas has a good story and it's my favourite of the series as it is made by Obsidian, the studio set up by the original creators of Fallout from Black Isle Studios.

That being said don't worry too much about that for now, just buy it and give it a try, if you're not a fan then at least you tried it.

User Info: Aamir007

Aamir007
2 months ago#19
Recently got into this series, and am currently playing fallout 3, and tbh I am addicted.
IMO you should try fallout 3. The story is weak but the world and atmosphere makes up for it.
Not a Fan of RPGs

User Info: Finis-XII

Finis-XII
2 months ago#20
roboemperor posted...
though the DLC's stories are considered terrible, especially Dead Money

This couldn't be more laughably wrong. The story and characters are easily the most praised thing about the DLCs, especially Dead Money.
"This close, I can hear your heart beating. Thump, thump...that's how you sound... <3" - Chie
https://m.imgur.com/gfiAZKK
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout: New Vegas
  3. Never played Fallout but am interested. Would this be a good place to start?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived