• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom
  3. Well...that was ill timing... (Kazama Ending spoilers)

User Info: WolfeyesVIII

WolfeyesVIII
8 years ago#1
I picked up Hakuoki again since I finally had free time to finish up all the paths I didn't get a chance to do when the game first came out and I just finished the Kazama path. It was an interesting take on the character and considering I'd just come off the Heisuke path it was nice to see him from a different angle than attempted-kidnapping-for-procreation-of-demon-race. I didn't have too many issues with the path, even if it was short, until the ending. I mean, wow, mood whiplash. I was just surprised the game didn't have the decency to at least wait for a few hours before "WELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS ARE DEAD OR SEPARATED BUT AT LEAST YOU HAVE A MAN WHO LOVES YOU".

Kazama's route is already short and while I can kinda buy the Chizuru/Kazama relationship is doesn't have the same foundation the other paths do since those ones get three chapters and lots of scenes stretched out over a long period of time to establish something. It wasn't like the writers couldn't have afforded to build up that "I like you" as opposed to throwing it right at the poor girl when she's barely had time to grieve.

At least the path doesn't try to pass Chizuru/Kazama as suddenly twu luv or happily ever after. It's acknowledged that any relationship between them is only beginning and Chizuru is going to be taking time on her own to do what she feels needs to be done before going off with Kazama. It's just a shame that there wasn't a bit more development put into it.
I'm a GIRL damn it!
Currently playing: Persona 2: EP (PSX)

User Info: Galdrar

Galdrar
8 years ago#2
EXACTLY! I can't even begin to explain how much Kazama's ending bothered me. I kind of liked Chizuru in his path/the normal path, because for once she was mirroring my own feelings, until that happened. Suddenly, she seemed very, very superficial. It made me even sadder than the normal ending did for entirely different reasons. :/

All the relationships get some extra development in the other games. I really want the rest of the games.
~reincarnated~
I'm playing Zuisouroku right now and the Kazama route is infinitely better there than it was in the first game. Much better development and the ending for it totally cracks me up. Plus Chizuru made me proud of her. It's my second favorite route in Zuisouroku after the Okita route.
"We must abandon our machina ways and turn to chocobos! It's the only path to salvation!" - Prophet, FFX-2

User Info: WolfeyesVIII

WolfeyesVIII
8 years ago#4
^Out of curiosity, what's Zuisouroku route like? I know you can get scenes like when Chizuru dresses up, a scene where Kazama takes her to her family's old home, and an epilogue where he comes to get her months after the ending.
I'm a GIRL damn it!
Currently playing: Persona 2: EP (PSX)
Have you seen the live events from a couple topics down? Kazama is pretty much like that in most of Zuisouroku. Hilariously arrogant and deluded.

But if you want a more detailed rundown of the route...

SPOILERS for the Zuisouroku Kazama route

You unlock the individual Kazama route by going through the Kazama route in the Shimabara episode. Plays out similar to the OVAs but one big difference, since we're on the Kazama route he gets to be a good guy and take care of the ronin problem for them. She runs into him several days later and he's all disappointed she's back to dressing like a guy. She thanks for taking care of ronin and he tells her she can repay him after they get married.

1st episode of the individual route takes place in chapter 3. Kondou has Chizuru go shopping for him and Yamazaki comes along to keep an eye out on her. They run into Kazama on the way back. They want to know what he's up to but he's just going out drinking.

This next part is the Kazama route from the 3rd main episode. Kondou buys Chizuru a yukata to go to a festival with Hijikata, Harada, and Nagakura. (Okita's too sick to go and Heisuke and Saito are off with Itou's group at this point.) Hijikata is being a stick in the mud so Chizuru decides to go back early but gets lost on the way to the tea shop where she changes her clothes. Kazama asks what she's doing wandering around outside alone and dressed like that. Has she finally abandoned the Shinsengumi for him? She tries to pretend she's someone else but he's not falling for that so she ends up telling him the truth. He says thanks to their stupidity he'll be able to easily take her away. Chizuru thinks she should've run away after all. (It was a choice but that would've taken us down someone else's route.) Kazama says it was just a joke, she shouldn't be so serious. He offers to help her find the tea shop but he ends up taking her on a little detour to see the bonfire. (Which was cool the 1st couple times you go see it but there are like 11 different routes in this episode and in all but one of them you go see it with one of the guys so it gets old real fast.) Afterwards he takes her back to the tea shop and she thanks him. He says there's no need for thanks but come to think of it she does owe him for the Shimabara incident. She asks what he wants to settle the debt but before he can answer the guys show up so he says goodbye to his "wife" and takes off before the guys notice him.

2nd Kazama episode takes place in chapter 4. Kazama, Chizuru, and Amagiri stop for a rest at some abandoned house. Amagiri conveniently takes watch outside leaving Chizuru and Kazama alone inside. Kazama builds a fire and Chizuru gets him to tell her more about the oni. When it's time to go to sleep Kazama notices her acting weird and asks if she wants him to assault her. She totally freaks. Kazama says he's just joking and not to worry he won't lay a hand on her until after the wedding. Next morning Chizuru finds out Kazama stayed up all night to watch the fire while she slept.

3rd episode takes place in chapter 6. Kazama takes her to where her family died. They talk more about oni and he asks her if she hates humans for what they did to her family. She doesn't since not all humans are bad.

4th episode. Haven't even had their first kiss yet and they're already acting like a married couple. Complete with them arguing over how much sake Kazama is drinking. Later they have a more serious conversation about the missing Shinsengumi and Kazama promises to help her find them.
"We must abandon our machina ways and turn to chocobos! It's the only path to salvation!" - Prophet, FFX-2
Final episode takes place 5 months after the ending from the first game. Chizuru went back home, studied her father's medical books, and started practicing medicine. Kazama finally shows up saying he's come for her then starts complaining about how he waited for her, and just how long does she intend to make him wait? Who does she think she is? Choice here between "What about you" and "I'm sorry" (Gag) What does he mean "who does she think she is"? What about Kazama. Stealing a kiss then taking off before she could respond. He didn't even tell her where he was going. Romance point gained. :D 2nd kiss with Kazama. Chizuru gets upset with him for kissing her in front of the neighbors. Kazama doesn't see the problem since she'll be coming with him to the west. But before that, he's tired from his journey so he'd like to rest up at her place first. So she invites him in for some tea and says they'll have a long discussion over such important things like him coming to get her and taking her west.

END SPOILERS

ShinsanShinshi just starting putting up some Zuisouroku videos up if you're interested in watching a Japanese guy play through the game. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0775EA2E48BAD1C

He also has videos for Reimeiroku, Bakumatsu Musou Roku, and the first game.
  1. Boards
  2. Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom
  3. Well...that was ill timing... (Kazama Ending spoilers)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A