• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Ys Seven
  3. After beating Oath in Felghana and revisiting this...*possible spoilers*

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
2 months ago#1
My thoughts:

I wish Seven had a time attack and museum option on the main menu, and also a NG+ feature. I also wish Seven (and MoC) had Inferno Mode too, but I'd be satisfied with just the former three extras.

I like the gameplay of Seven better. Jumping is nice and adds the 3D aspect to the game, but I'll take dodging and flash guarding over it given the choice.

I like the OSTs about the same. Really solid tracks in both games.

I like Oath's plot better, but Seven's plot has a "grander" feel to it. Seven is definitely the bigger game, both in terms of size/number of locations and number of accessories/equipment courtesy of the crafting system, which Oath lacks. There's just more to do in Seven, even if we don't count the fact that Seven is like three times as long as Oath.

I liked the characters in Oath better, but this could be due to Oath having voice acting to give them more life. If I hadn't done my first Oath playthrough with voices on I might think differently, who knows.

Oath handled its epilogue better. It allowed you to control Adol so that you could go to all the townspeople yourself to say goodbye before you sail away. Seven just gives the typical epilogue where we're shown scenes of what happened in the aftermath of Adol's grand adventure.

Both have bittersweet endings in true Ys fashion. I thought it was stupid how they brought Tia with them only for her to burst into cherry blossom petals and fade out of existence. It felt like the writers had no idea how to kill her off so they just pulled a reason for her death out of their derrieres.

Despite most of these points favoring Oath in Felghana, I'm really not sure which I consider the better game. These two are the only Ys games that I can't make up my mind about. With all the other games, it's easy to compare two of them and say that one is better than the other. For some reason, it bothers me.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."

User Info: helldew

helldew
2 months ago#2
i love oath and hold a heavy bias towards it being one of the first Ys games i got to play on PSP.

that said i do feel like 7 is the better game. its just so much grander. the size of it helps so much in areas like soundtrack where both games have amazing OSTs but 7 just felt like it had more. like the OST is almost double the size and 7s entire soundtrack just stays great lol. its a case where id say yeah quality wise they go pretty even but 7 having more is just straight in its favor.

combat wise. i find oath felt less spamy and more punishing never felt like flashguards were to well done in 7 (super broken lmao) hard mode in 7 with no flash felt pretty fair (mostly). but 7 also has something about its movement and combat that just feels so good. the movement in 7 flows better then oath feels more snappy.

story wise yeah i liked both i liked that oath had Vo but again 7 felt like a much bigger game. oath story felt very simple (which you can tell it was based on like an SNES game yes ive played Ys3 after) but it really did make it much better then ys 3 was. basically oath took almost nothing and made something good with it while 7 outright just made a new grand adventure.

the one thing that i do feel like kinda hurts 7 tho is weirdly enough 8. 8 kinda just made 7 bigger grander and even better lol. mechenically its far more refined and even stuff like the platforming edge oath had is just all wrapped into 8 (IMO 8s the best game in the series) i also feel like origin also kinda one upped oath to tho in a less so but similar regard.

personally RN id prob say for the top of the series its like 8>7>origin>oath.

BTW try nayuta it felt like a weird fusion of oath and 7. nayuta tho has weird AF progression you start gimped and the game just litearlly keeps rolling out mechanics right into NG+infinite mode and even then keeps going (and adds new levels there to)
----

Zero_Maniac
2 months ago#3
I do agree that VIII is the best in the franchise. And I also agree that Origin has the most refined combat and gameplay. However, Origin is pretty low on the list of Ys rankings for me because the entire game is spent climbing the same tower. Sure, not all areas look the same, but there's never really any outdoor areas or overworld like there is in most of the other games. It causes me to feel a bit claustrophobic. I'd rather play Oath or Ys I & II on PSP, or even Ark of Napishtim on PC/PS2. That said, I'd definitely play it over the DS version of Ys I & II, the Taito remakes on PS2, and probably the original Ys III. Definitely play Origin over Ys Strategy.

My ranking looks like: VIII > Celceta > Seven > Oath > I & II PSP > Napishtim > Origin > I & II Turbo CD/PS2 > Legacy (DS) > Taito remakes > Wanderers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Strategy

Those are the ones I've played. Haven't played V, nor the original version of IV.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."

User Info: Kuro-chan_101

Kuro-chan_101
3 weeks ago#4
The first three Ys games (OiF was based off Ys: III, Wanderets Of Ys) were relatively smaller games. Ys IV and V got bigger, then they scaled it down again for Ys IV. VII definitely feels a bit bigger than all it's predecessors.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTYpKlIc_fg <- Everything you need to know about DLC nonsense.
- 8th gen. Game Consoles = Anti-consumer. Boycott, today!

Zero_Maniac
3 weeks ago#5
Kuro-chan_101 posted...
Ys IV and V got bigger, then they scaled it down again for Ys IV.

You mean Ys VI was scaled down, I assume. That's probably because it was their first original Ys game on 3D capable hardware. It's sort of like how TES II: Daggerfall is way bigger than TES III: Morrowind. They didn't want another sprite-based game, so they had to downsize the world.

User Info: Kuro-chan_101

Kuro-chan_101
1 week ago#6
Yes, the size of Ys VI felt scaled down in comparison to IV and V, since it was limited to a couple towns and a half dozen dungeons or so. What made it feel bigger was all the zipping back and forth between all the locations. It's wasn't the best designed of the bunch (and the first of three to go with large-scale 3d sprites in a 3d worlds), but the PS2 version got me into playing Ys.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTYpKlIc_fg <- Everything you need to know about DLC nonsense.
- 8th gen. Game Consoles = Anti-consumer. Boycott, today!
  1. Boards
  2. Ys Seven
  3. After beating Oath in Felghana and revisiting this...*possible spoilers*
  • Post New Message