• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ys Seven
  3. Never playing a game in this series before, Is this a good game to start?

User Info: DreamingCakeCat

DreamingCakeCat
6 months ago#1
Never played a game in this series? Is this a good game to start or do I have to play the previous games?

User Info: rpggamer29

rpggamer29
6 months ago#2
You can start with any of them really. All the games are loosely connected in that most of them have the same protagonist and take place in the same world. The events of each game set up a timeline and make sense together.

But its not one big story where you have to see events in order chronological or release order. Each game stands on its own.

User Info: KazumiAmano

KazumiAmano
6 months ago#3
They're extremely loosely connected in terms of main plot. Most that happens in the occasional cameo from an older game, or overall lore building. Sometimes I wish they were more cohesive and Adol actually changed from game to game but that'd defeat the silent protagonist bit I suppose.

It's kinda like playing any random Zelda game as your first. Part of a big timeline, but not at all required to have a basis in the others to enjoy or even understand.
Jan, come back when you're pregnant!

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
2 months ago#4
If you're curious about the cameos in this game, play Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim. If you want to play Ys VIII and not miss any connections with previous titles, play Memories of Celceta first.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."

User Info: hergman

hergman
2 months ago#5
like they said, its like zelda
outside of cameos (one random NPC mention Galbalan, the final boss of ys 3 for example), they are so loosely linked that it does not really matters

only the first 2 games are linked and they are usually bundled together in a one-pack deal

Geis and his fairies, one of the party members, was an important NPC in Ark of Naphistim. tough him being playable here is one heck of an upgrade compared to his role there.

... now that i think about it, i wonder if Geis and that random Galbalan reference are the only cameos?

i guess there might be some lore continuity since at the start of the game, its said that the country of Altago has just finished being at war with a country named Romun.
Since you never directly interact with that war, i wonder if theres some continuity with that background lore? i do remember vaguely encountering military of either. like, Romun soldiers are seeking some ancient powers that Adol just happen to already be investigating and start messing things up. sounds like Ark of Naphistim stuff tough overall, that presence is not as important has the ancient stuff that Adol always stumble upon.
Giovanni : hahaha
Im the caid of my shoes and i control every toe-nail in it.

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
2 months ago#6
hergman posted...
... now that i think about it, i wonder if Geis and that random Galbalan reference are the only cameos?

I don't think so. Geis is the most notable cameo. I don't think a reference can be counted as a cameo, since the character in question doesn't show up.

By the way TC, I'm sure you've played and beaten/gotten bored of the game by now, but this really is a great entry point to the franchise.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Kuro-chan_101

Kuro-chan_101
4 weeks ago#7
And Dogi is not the most notable cameo? :(

HOW COULD YOU?!?! *cries and runs away*

But yeah, Dogi was always just a on and off sidekick who never had much of a role in the game. This definitely changes with VII.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTYpKlIc_fg <- Everything you need to know about DLC nonsense.
- 8th gen. Game Consoles = Anti-consumer. Boycott, today!

User Info: hergman

hergman
2 weeks ago#8
Kuro-chan_101 posted...
And Dogi is not the most notable cameo? :(

HOW COULD YOU?!?! *cries and runs away*

But yeah, Dogi was always just a on and off sidekick who never had much of a role in the game. This definitely changes with VII.

i think its truly the only ys game where dogi gets a playable role

the only other instance i can think of is that fighting gat with Ys and Sora no Kiseki (whatever the english name is)
Giovanni : hahaha
Im the caid of my shoes and i control every toe-nail in it.
(edited 2 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Ys Seven
  3. Never playing a game in this series before, Is this a good game to start?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers