• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sword of Moonlight: King's Field Making Tool
  3. A: Is Sword of Moonlight: KFMT Free?
arcnet 7 years ago#51
^Also, don't use your real name (or anything that looks like a IRL name) or put numbers on the end of your name. I assume accounts like that are robots. And names with numbers on the end aren't even allowed because there was one particular bot hive that I couldn't shake, but it always followed that pattern.

Also the wiki's Captcha terms are always capitalized.
Remember, this is Gamefaqs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/661226-pokemon-black-version-2/64668593
arcnet 7 years ago#52
Doumah posted...
Wow, I read the whole thread on your story ideas, you must have thought about it a lot! It's fascinating!

By the way, do you think From still use an update version of SOM to make their games? Or have they made a new engine from scratch? Was KFIV made with SOM?

Sorry, I was just rereading the latter half of this thread. I realized I totally neglected the second question here. I hope my double posting does not go unnoticed. I did intend to answer this question but I ran off course after the first I am sure.

I can tell you that From didn't so much make SOM as it just ported all of its software/knowledge from the PlayStation days to the PC format of SOM. All of the bugs of the PS games are in SOM and SOM is even worse because you can tell that its programmers were not Windows/PC programmers at all. I mean there is the language barrier, and Microsoft's documentation is a mess, even if you are well versed in English, but yet still... the bugs in SOM run much deeper than that. But what can be said for sure, is SOM would not have been worth developing if it were not a Frankenstein monster. The development cycle would've taken years. No its just a slapdash port. A once more into the breach to the end of an era.

As for KF4. I am not a super fan. Even though it's one of the few games I've ever paid full price for on launch day in my life. I can count full price buys in my head I think. They would be Castlevania... didn't even own a NES yet, Super Mario Bros. 3, Final Fantasy 3 (ie. 6), those all split with my brother, probably Toshinden after playing the PS demo disc. Persona 2: Innocent Sin... although I imported it on release day for 20$ so it doesn't really count. Someone must have realized they'd printed too many copies. That game was the biggest letdown ever. And King's Field IV. There might be a PS2 Armored Core game in there somewhere too.

Anyway, I digress. It isn't obvious from my memories of 4 that it is arranged on a regular tile grid. I still have the game. I tried to play it on a souped up PS2 a little while back, but the menus had artifacts in widescreen SD mode suggesting that From never tried playing it in that mode and the Sony QC didn't either. And the lack of analog and the blur when turning I just find insufferable.

SOM and the KF trilogy, and Shadow Tower, are all arranged on a grid and use what is pretty much the same in-house tech, as does Armored Core up through MOA for the most part I think, although it probably has a bit of a hybrid system. The AC system may even deploy a 3D volumetric grid, because it is quite vertical in places.

KF2 definitely has some way of coping with tiered level design. KF3 on the other hand feels relatively two dimensional without exception. And ST feels like yet another step back away from complexity. SOM is most like ST. Its map transitions are via fade in/out set changes without exception.

KF4 I can't say. But I wouldn't be surprised if From broke completely from the tile grid approach. Quite possibly it may have been built on off the shelf technology, but its lighting is similar to SOM's. Which is more sophisticated than it looks in some regards.

That said, I believe that the tile approach, while it may have been too restrictive for KF4, and if not that, then Dark Souls. Is still the absolute right approach for SOM. And what can seem like a constraint to a company, can be just the thing for a DIY artwork-sharing-community-based platform that SOM is destined to become.

Extension wise my plan is to develop a linker to overlay 2D maps at arbitrary angles to make 3D maps. And initially a corridor system for transitions. But eventually an overworld system for stitching maps together like big quilts that disappear far off into the horizon.

And a next gen lighting/map editor called Dark Slayer.
Remember, this is Gamefaqs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/661226-pokemon-black-version-2/64668593
  1. Boards
  2. Sword of Moonlight: King's Field Making Tool
  3. A: Is Sword of Moonlight: KFMT Free?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A